What Desktop Environment is going to be used on this?

LXDE is fine, but we already know the Pyra can cope with XFCE, so we don't particularly need to lose features by moving to a more primitive DE as standard (you're free to install LXDE/Englightenment/CDE etc. if you'd prefer them of course).  I suppose you could argue that since the Pyra can run full power desktop DEs like KDE/Gnome3, but I at least prefer something more traditionally WIMP.

I've been using XFCE 4.12 on my Arch notebook since the updated packages were released.  The new auto-hiding panels and per-workspace backdrops are nice features I've already made use of.

Or what about enlightenment? It has a mobile desktop mode of sorts.
Enlightment in a nutshell:User "Hey a new version is out, please update it"

Dev "sure"

Later:

U "Hey the Update broke stuff, please fix it"

D "No, wait for the next version"

next version:

U "This one is even more broken!"

D "But it has new features!"

U "but the features i need are still missing"

D "LALALALALALALALALALAL"

Last edited by a moderator:
Enlightment in a nutshell:

User "Hey a new version is out, please update it"

Dev "sure"

Later:

U "Hey the Update broke stuff, please fix it"

D "No, wait for the next version"

next version:

U "This one is even more broken!"

D "But it has new features!"

U "but the features i need are still missing"

D "LALALALALALALALALALAL"
This is between FUD and full BS...

3 Years of moderating a Forum about an Enlightenment centered distro.

Even our main dev got tired of E for breaking and never fixing stuff.

In other news people still use Enlightenment. 

Bodhi linux forked E17 for that reason.
Exactly.
Dont get me wrong, E is a great desktop, as an E only user i am the first one that votes for yes when E is in question.

But you have to spend some time to test a bunch of revisions and check what works with it and what not and next you have to check what themes work with that, what modules etc.

Personally i have settled with 0.16.999.66441 because its the only one that works without problems for me.

In other news people still use Enlightenment.
Its still under heavy development, in fact it is further than all other WMs when it comes to adopting new stuff, eg the systray replacement.

My Favorite is IceWM or OpenBox. I had them running Debian Jessie in 80MB of ram.

The lighter the better, if you want heavier XFCE4 w/ OpenBox or a lightDM.

lXQT looks like it's going to be beautiful.

While KDE is pretty beefy, the Plasma 5 is also a very neat DE.

Default right now for the Pyra version of Debian Jessie is xfce4, but it's real easy to switch this up.

If it is about ram, E desktop is less than 50 on a Pandora.

Lumina is a good option. It's not 1.0 for a while, but it is more stable than some of the other DEs mentioned. I have not used it on Debian yet, just PCBSD, but others have. It is really light.

Wayland has no ties to OpenGL, wayland is again just a protocol. Weston can render using any method it wants. However, if you want to benefit from native EGL applications (anything opengl basically), the compositor must have EGL context and driver support the EGL wayland extension. That said, Weston is reference compositor and not really ready for normal use. The pixman backend probably also may be slower than X11 due to X11 having acceleration for 2d drawing on various devices. Gnome is probably going to be even worse as they run all sorts of thing inside the compositor process (javascript and whatever).

Just pick some good common ground X11 enviroinment, Wayland will become more relevant as it develops for desktop use. That said again, I'm interested toying around with my compositor on pyra.

I think XFCE is a good default. I think CDE uses ~10MB if I remember correctly. But that's on my laptop.

Back