What Desktop Environment is going to be used on this?

Discussion in 'Pyra OS (Debian GNU/Linux)' started by jdog320, Oct 14, 2014.

1. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Dear god that's a real thing... 

2. bzar

bzar A Commando

AFAIK it's named like that so nobody would use it as their primary distro :D . It's been the wayland test distro for some time now.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2014
  3. groovechicken

groovechicken Still Fresh

I know I am a little late to the conversation here, but I have been pretty busy. I wanted to throw in a vote, though, for Lumina Desktop. I got to see it in action at Ohio Linux Fest and it is really nice. QT based, which is good since I use a lot of QT apps, but way lighter on resources than KDE. I haven't done the actual comparisons yet, but I think it will beat out LXQT on resource usage.

It has some slick features as well. We won't be running ZFS on our Pyras, so we won't get the cool ZFS aware features, but it is a good desktop and has great multiple monitor awareness, which will be nice with that HDMI port.

As far as I know, it is either already ported to debian, or is at least darn close. By the time we are ready to start software testing, though, all that should be worked out.

ED, you may want to give it a quick test at least on the dev board to see how it compares to LXQT.

4. mclien

mclien Very Active Member

KDE4 was a big disapointmnet to me (to windows like and resourcedraining as hell). So after KDE3 I gave trinityDE a run for a while and decited to go as lightwight as I could find and ended up with fluxbox, which I now unsing on all computers in my network (including my wifes and a the kids).

I had it running with pandian1 on the classic pandora, too.

I won't mind to have a "bare mnimum" image for the pyra (like the debian minimal install + all pyra related stuff, perhaps from an extra repo).

That's basicly how I do my normal installs: minimum install and then all I need via aptitude (I tink there is also a way to give aptitude a list wile installing but didn't looked into it so far

5. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen Active Member

Loving my Nexus 5 running lollipop and just heard about quantum OS, bringin Material design to Linux.

supposedly they want it to be able to run on any linux distro as long as it supports Wayland.
    so it's more like a desktop environment?

think this could be really sexy on the Pyra.

http://quantum-os.github.io/

6. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

I plan to try and build Common Desktop Environment on it, and use that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  7. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Why, thank you, Silent-Hunter! :p  

8. Silent-Hunter

Oh, well of course. But, most likely it will be easy, as there's already a script for installing it, however I would need help on configuring it to start from the login manager.

9. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

I am pretty sure it is the same with you, but little things like being able to use CDE on my Pyra make me happy.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2014
  10. Silent-Hunter

Of course, I can only do that if we don't use Wayland.

11. WizardStan

WizardStan Mega GP Mania

Doesn't Wayland have an XServer "emulator" that allows it to work with non-migrated desktop environments like CDE?

12. Silent-Hunter

Well there's xwayland, but I don't know if that would work with an entire desktop environment.

13. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

14. Gon

Gon Member

Looks really cool. A bit unfortunate that it didn't get finished before the Debian Jessie package freeze though.

15. Askarus

Askarus Hardcore Member

Waiting for it to come to the official Arch repo.

16. Gon

Gon Member

It even has xhdpi themes now to support high density screens, very cool for the Pyra.

17. karloff

karloff Newbie

18. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

Since we will be using a fairly vanilla version of debian, it's pretty easy to install it right off the debian repo.

19. Silent-Hunter

I think XFCE is fine, if I can't get CDE to work.

20. zonova

zonova Member

So, keep in mind that I don't know very much about how efficient we need OS's to be on mobile devices, but I've just installed LXLE on all of my computers. It seems extremely lightweight(my processor usage never goes above 20% on a very old laptop). It also looks quite nice. I was wondering if anyone with more experience could look into it and tell me if there would be anything stopping us from considering it? Thanks!