Lxde As An Alternitave To Xfce

chris_c

There are a number of (known) issues with XFCE especially if you want to upgrade gtk!

and its not now as lightweight as it once used to be (sadly)

So I thought I'd checkout LXDE assuming it would be a nightmare of stuff not working and needing integrating, not a bit of it!

There are issues, but off the bat the pnd system just works - hats of to ED and friends for their good work here - I'm delighted to say its not just
a bunch of windows fan boys using Linux cause that couldn't get a windows licence :D - they actually grok linux - which is very nice!

I had to use xfwm for the window manager I didn't look but I dont think lxde come with one - but I could be totally wrong
but in anycase xfwm works just dandy it seems completely modular and works fine with LXDE

There are a bunch of xfce settings programs in the menu's - which is a bit of a problem because as far as I can see
there is no way in the freedesktop spec to have environment specific menus - ie a menu that would only show in XFCE and
one that would only show in LXDE...

It would be not that difficult at all to make a tar ball for a boot sd that had no xfce with lxde as a replacement

however you're looking at 200 meg of hosting and the traffic costs for the 6 or so people who will want to use it.... ;)

as ED has sensibly made all the pandora stuff only depend on zenity and not embed them in xfce then if you know what you are
doing you should be able to tailor your own SD boot disk to have no XFCE and be more than comfortable with what LXDE provides
(there seems to be one or two missing apps from what I can tell but NO showstoppers!)

I would at least try it.
Is the performance and memoryusage better with lxde?

chris_c said:
I had to use xfwm for the window manager I didn't look but I dont think lxde come with one - but I could be totally wrong
but in anycase xfwm works just dandy it seems completely modular and works fine with LXDE

Usually, LXDE uses openbox, but works fine with any window manager you want.

I know DJWillis tried to include LXDE instead of XFCE4 earlier, but it was very crashy. A lot of development has happened since then, and it's really lightweight, so for future firmwares, it would be a nice idea to either get an XFCE4 or LXDE one :)

Last edited:
Back