What Desktop Environment is going to be used on this?

AFAIK it's named like that so nobody would use it as their primary distro :D . It's been the wayland test distro for some time now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I am a little late to the conversation here, but I have been pretty busy. I wanted to throw in a vote, though, for Lumina Desktop. I got to see it in action at Ohio Linux Fest and it is really nice. QT based, which is good since I use a lot of QT apps, but way lighter on resources than KDE. I haven't done the actual comparisons yet, but I think it will beat out LXQT on resource usage.

It has some slick features as well. We won't be running ZFS on our Pyras, so we won't get the cool ZFS aware features, but it is a good desktop and has great multiple monitor awareness, which will be nice with that HDMI port.

As far as I know, it is either already ported to debian, or is at least darn close. By the time we are ready to start software testing, though, all that should be worked out.

ED, you may want to give it a quick test at least on the dev board to see how it compares to LXQT.

KDE4 was a big disapointmnet to me (to windows like and resourcedraining as hell). So after KDE3 I gave trinityDE a run for a while and decited to go as lightwight as I could find and ended up with fluxbox, which I now unsing on all computers in my network (including my wifes and a the kids).

I had it running with pandian1 on the classic pandora, too.

I won't mind to have a "bare mnimum" image for the pyra (like the debian minimal install + all pyra related stuff, perhaps from an extra repo).

That's basicly how I do my normal installs: minimum install and then all I need via aptitude (I tink there is also a way to give aptitude a list wile installing but didn't looked into it so far

Loving my Nexus 5 running lollipop and just heard about quantum OS, bringin Material design to Linux.

supposedly they want it to be able to run on any linux distro as long as it supports Wayland.
so it's more like a desktop environment?

think this could be really sexy on the Pyra.

http://quantum-os.github.io/

I plan to try and build Common Desktop Environment on it, and use that.

Oh, well of course. But, most likely it will be easy, as there's already a script for installing it, however I would need help on configuring it to start from the login manager.

I am pretty sure it is the same with you, but little things like being able to use CDE on my Pyra make me happy.

Doesn't Wayland have an XServer "emulator" that allows it to work with non-migrated desktop environments like CDE?

Well there's xwayland, but I don't know if that would work with an entire desktop environment.

It even has xhdpi themes now to support high density screens, very cool for the Pyra.

So, keep in mind that I don't know very much about how efficient we need OS's to be on mobile devices, but I've just installed LXLE on all of my computers. It seems extremely lightweight(my processor usage never goes above 20% on a very old laptop). It also looks quite nice. I was wondering if anyone with more experience could look into it and tell me if there would be anything stopping us from considering it? Thanks!

Back