What Are Your Top 5 Gp32 Mame Games?

I'll dip my toes in the savestate waters...
To me, old arcade games are all about difficulty. These games were never designed to be played for long periods. Back then, if a few of us got good on a particular machine (and by good I mean making a credit last more than 25 minutes) you could just about guarantee the operator would crank it up a notch before long. A save state seems kind of heretical. And to honest, if I got 20 levels into your typical early 80's arcade game and then saved the state I'd also have to save the state my brain was in at the time. 'Cause there's not way I could pick up where I'd left off, I'd lose all my men inside 60 seconds.
They just don't make 'em like that any more.
(Shuffles off muttering about kids these days)
funny almost excactly what i think... well but many of today fps arent playable without saving....(and i kinda like fps even though i really started with pong...and love old arcade games ........hence the name)

what id like to see is dipswitch support for gp mame :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I don't want save states for mame. The toilet break argument is a good one but I had the same dilema in the arcades and I just had to wait. The challenge is gone if you add save states. It's already easy enough to see the end of a game with infinite credits but the real challenge is seeing how far you can get on one credit in one sitting. No breaks allowed.

The only thing I'd like to see save wise is the highscores so that I can come back and try to better them.

I agree speed and sound is a big factor. You can play a  lot of the same sames on MSX and other emulators at full speed etc. I would like to see improvement in having games run at full speed and sound as in Colo and other emulators. Not saying its easy but would be nice. If that and save states would be added then GPMAME would rock!!! I am sure GPMAME will get there some day...

Speed to me is #1 , i know Dave mentions sound issues in a lot of emulators but i would rather play a game 100% speed without sound than 85% with sound. Obviously i would love sound but to me i love the playability of these games, back in the day in a lot of arcades i used to go to you couldnt fully appreciate the sound anyway.

You are assuming that if sound was added the game would slow way down. This is not for sure that it would slow down. You may have to go from 133 to 144 or 166 maybe. Plus there is always the option in the menu to turn it off. To me the game is just as unplayable without sound as it is if it was too slow. The end result is that I just don't play it, it ruins it for me. This option should be there and in my opinion is much more important than save states or running newer games that would be too slow anyway.

Personally I don't want save states for mame. The toilet break argument is a good one but I had the same dilema in the arcades and I just had to wait. The challenge is gone if you add save states. It's already easy enough to see the end of a game with infinite credits but the real challenge is seeing how far you can get on one credit in one sitting. No breaks allowed.

The only thing I'd like to see save wise is the highscores so that I can come back and try to better them.

Keep in mind that if you hold the R button (not just press it) it'll pause. Then turn off your screen and go take a dump.
Dipswitch settings would be nice.
The biggest improvement I'd appreciate right now would be to slow down the cycling when you select clockspeed. I keep zipping past and having to go alllll the way through again. When I often again zip past.... It's a game in and of itself.

You are assuming that if sound was added the game would slow way down. This is not for sure that it would slow down. You may have to go from 133 to 144 or 166 maybe. Plus there is always the option in the menu to turn it off. To me the game is just as unplayable without sound as it is if it was too slow. The end result is that I just don't play it, it ruins it for me. This option should be there and in my opinion is much more important than save states or running newer games that would be too slow anyway.

If there was a choice of a game with bad sound but 100% speed or a game with 90% speed and sound i would always take the 1st option.

On the Pocket PC i played GBA games for months and months despite the sound being totally gargled and not being able to work. Must be from a different generation perhaps, when i used to go to work and play games on the Pocket PC on the train i didnt bother with sound (couldnt hear it even with headphones on anyway because of the noise), when i was younger and used to sneak onto my computer to play games in the middle of the night i obviously always had the sound off.

I do love sound on computer games, of course i do but to me personally its not the bee all and end all. Sound adds to the whole experience but if a game is slow i wont bother with it, i mean properly slow.

Thats why we play all these 20 year old games etc, not because of 'great sound' but because of great playability and also memories from a golden era. Go to any arcade back then and yeah you would hear some sound but with 30 other arcade machines all blasting out sound/music it was difficult to hear your own.

If sound didnt slow down a game i'm sure a lot of the emulator creators would make sure it worked fine. I do agree that sound should be above save states or newer games which may run slow but i enjoyed playing Warioware on the GBA emulator on the PPC without sound for many many weeks.

Hello there.

Sorry, but I didn't find any other post for my problem with some mame-games - thats why I think it's ok to ask here.

Is there any trick to get certain games working? I mean, I've tryed six different frogger/scramble-rom-sets none one of them worked?

Also is there a list which games are running well and some others won't start at all?

Thanks!

mr.white

You are assuming that if sound was added the game would slow way down.  This is not for sure that it would slow down.  You may have to go from 133 to 144 or 166 maybe.  Plus there is always the option in the menu to turn it off.  To me the game is just as unplayable without sound as it is if it was too slow.  The end result is that I just don't play it, it ruins it for me.  This option should be there and in my opinion is much more important than save states or running newer games that would be too slow anyway.

If there was a choice of a game with bad sound but 100% speed or a game with 90% speed and sound i would always take the 1st option.

Thats why we play all these 20 year old games etc, not because of 'great sound' but because of great playability and also memories from a golden era. Go to any arcade back then and yeah you would hear some sound but with 30 other arcade machines all blasting out sound/music it was difficult to hear your own.

If sound didnt slow down a game i'm sure a lot of the emulator creators would make sure it worked fine. I do agree that sound should be above save states or newer games which may run slow but i enjoyed playing Warioware on the GBA emulator on the PPC without sound for many many weeks.

To me it wouldn't matter. If the game was slow I won't play it. If it was full speed but there is no sound I won't play it either. So in the end either situation has the same effect, I won't play it. I used to like Donkey Kong in the arcades. I won't touch it in MAME because the sound is bad and partly missing.

As far as the arcades I used to play these in the arcade and in stores that had them etc and I did hear the sound. To me that is just as important for the "memories" too. I can tell if a sound is a bit "off" even today in an emulator as I used to play the arcade enough. For example the intermission music in Ms Pac-man is a bit too high pitched in MAME, I can tell but many won't notice. I still play it though as it isn't THAT bad, I just notice.

For MAME the reason the sound is missing is more due to the version that was ported then anything else. In .34 MAME many games still didn't have sound emulated yet. Many used samples (Zaxxon, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders). Franxis had decided to take out support for samples. If it was added back in for those games sound would work using samples.

Again I guess we are just different that way. Neither one is right or wrong.

If you do not want to save, then don't but let the others non-purists have the opportunity. You will always have the choice.
Personnaly, I would like to play Pac Man for hours, but I am not 15 years old anymore and, as in the good old arcade days, cannot dedicate that amount of time anymore in one session.

MAME doesnt have save states so no way will the GP32 version of MAME get them.

From the Mame Readme said:
F7 Load a 'Save State'. You will be requested to press a key to
determine which Save State you wish to load. Note that the 'Save
State' feature is for developing drivers and not intended for
users. It is incomplete and works only on a number of drivers. Use
at own risk.

Shift+F7 Create a 'Save State'. Requires an additional keypress to identify
the state.

Save states on PC mame don't work too well though, and I've never used them more than once or twice anyway. Arcade games are a 'quick fix', so I don't believe save states are needed here.

As for my fav games, um, Elevator Action, er... Mappy... and the rest I can't play on the GP32. EDIT: and Battlezone too.

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts (J) - by far, it's amazing that it actually runs smoother than Ghosts 'n' Goblins (which I'll put as my second favourite!)

Hmm, Ghosts and Goblins runs at 60FPS in DrMD at 144Mhz, top that smooth guy. :)

- Alex

I like Raiden, 1942, 3 wonders, & capcom and snk fighting games (capcom crossovers series & streetfighter; KOF/Fatal Fury & Garou, etc.) but it's too bad that the GP32 doesn't have the specs to play the last 2 games (companies) I mentioned. :(

Yes, Ghouls'n'Ghosts (DaiMakaiMura) runs very smoothly in Dr.MD 4.1,
Sound rate 16500
Frameskip AUTO (often at 60fps)
Clockspeed 146

Ghosts'n'Goblins (MakaiMura) runs a bit slowly, but it's perfectly playable in Mamegng
Clockspeed 166
Frameskip <2

Super Ghosts'n'Goblins (ChouMakaiMura) runs choppy and slow in OpenSnes9x
No Sound
Framskip 3
Clockspeed 172

Forgive the OT, but I love too much MakaiMura!

So, does MAME actually run Ghouls 'n' Ghosts on the GP2X? I was only fantasing about it working on the GP32 :D

Back