What are you playing this weekend/these days?

It turned out that I made a mistake when setting up the Brutal Doom campaign and what I was playing was in fact the Freedoom Phase 2 campaign, but with Brutal Doom on top. It was still very good. It stays close to Doom 2, with higher difficulty and less trick levels. I think it's overall better than Doom 2, though at some points I was a bit annoyed by the number of Barons/Knights and Revenants it likes to throw at the player.

Now I'm playing the Brutal Doom campaign for real, and it turns out it borrows some levels (or parts of some levels) from Freedoom Phase 2. It's still fun, brutal, and it doesn't pull its punches.

The Download link has already been taken down. Do you still have/know a trustworthy source to download? I dlike to try it out.

You've got mail. :)

In other news, I'm currently playing

tmp_cam_2064760323.jpg

strictly for the plot you understand. ;)

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria (PS2)

I'm not so far from the beginning, but already seems a great sequel !!
It maintains the same atmosphere as the first game (musics, colors, mood...), they made it 3D but the playability is still the same as it was 2D, there are only some differences during combat sequences, seems a little more complicated to me, but seems not so bad, I'm still adapting...

There's only one thing that I don't like so much, while the graphic is good in general, I think that the face expressions are not so charming, and sometimes it is impossible to read emotions on them, and this is a little bad, because it's a game where this things matters a lot for the background stories, and the previous game had great face expressions

Ahrk fin Kel lost prodah, do ved viing ko fin krah,
Tol fod zeymah win kein meyz fundein!
Alduin, feyn do jun, kruziik vokun staadnau,
Voth aan bahlok wah diivon fin lein!
I'm about to start a new play-through with different mods.

I was thrilled to find that I have at some point bought Dreamfall Chapters. I remember wanting to wait until all the episodes were released. So, yay!

Also looking forward to trying out Lords of the Fallen on a friend's PS, that and Journey are free for PS Plus users.

And Betafield One is up, so I go and do teh schootingz. Seems to rely on CPU even more than bf4. Cant get stable 60 fps on a GTX 780 ti with lowest detail and 50% resolution scale. Damn that old AMD quad. Oh well.
Edit: Met a person called EvilDraconis: related? Wasn't carrying a flame thrower at the time. So maybe not.

Last edited:
Final station:
Its rather short > invested maybe 6 hours. Very nice looking, great atmosphere and a nice, but "sparsly told" story. But it seriously lacks in the gameplay region: the train part is just moving between two dispensers /(for food and medkits) and your passengers and occasionally having to press some buttons on a certain "system" (out of 5 max,) so your train does not malfunction/stop. The other part is a "walk n' gun" type of game with 2 different weapons, limited ammo, 5 different enemies and lots of doors to open or stairs/ladders to climb up/down. In theory there is also a crafting part which consist of collection components during the "walk n' gun" part which you combine (only) in train to create medkits, and the two different kinds of ammo..Did not really get why that was in the game at all - maybe because the devs felt, that the train part did not have enough gameplay
Conclusiont: It was a nice experience, but I guess I would have felt I wasted my money if I had bought it.

The Last Express
1st person point and click adventure game with node based movement. Stuff happens on a real time schedule and there's a lot that can go wrong, providing many different endings. Uses rotoscoping for realistic characters. Good voices and environmental sounds. A few minutes into the game and I felt like a secret agent. Impressive piece of software.

Last weekend I bought a new-for-me in-reality-old GPU and played:
  • Persona 3 FES
  • Doom (new)
  • Assassin's Creed Unity

This Weekend, i begun to play Dragon Ques VII Fragments of the forgotten Past for the New 3DS XL,
Ditnt played this Part on the Original PSX, as it was only for North America and Japan, but its pretty cool..
There is an Island, and you travel too Time and you can bring up lots of other islands, and you have a vessel (like on Zelda Phantom Hourglass)..
You can explore the Islands,
and its a good old Classic JRPG,
but it will eat a lot of Time, they said something about 100 Hours just for the Story..

Just finished Super Mario Bros 2 (JP). Holy crap. What a ridiculous Mario game. I used to think it was stupid they didn't release it NA but after playing it I think that was probably a good idea; there would have been a lot of broken controllers. I don't think I could EVER beat it without save states.

Just finished Super Mario Bros 2 (JP). Holy crap. What a ridiculous Mario game. I used to think it was stupid they didn't release it NA but after playing it I think that was probably a good idea; there would have been a lot of broken controllers.
They did on the Super Nintendo in "Super Mario All-Stars" under the name "The Lost Levels".

I don't think I could EVER beat it without save states.
That's what I say about most NES games.

is it just me or are games getting more sadistic?
It's just you. Actually, there are more peaceful (indie) games out there than ever and many of them are excellent.
When I was young, there was hardly any game where you didn't have to use violence all the time to progress, be it killing something or building units that kill something.

is it just me or are games getting more sadistic?
I get the feeling it's a nostalgic throwback by certain developers to when "games were hard" or some other BS, when you had to spend dozens of hours memorizing controller actions to get to the end.

I get the feeling it's a nostalgic throwback by certain developers to when "games were hard" or some other BS, when you had to spend dozens of hours memorizing controller actions to get to the end.
I'd call what some retro devs are doing atm "deliberate regression" and I usually hate the results.

The same goes for the graphics as well.
I love the Wadget Eye games (Gemini Rue, Primordia, etc...) but a higher res would surely improve them...
At least I can still play it which can't be said about games that are made impossibly hard again and have few to none save points (Volgarr the Viking, Risk of Rain, etc...).

On topic:
Just finished Prune and Primordia.
Currently playing Lara Croft GO (surprisingly good!) and Waking Mars (on WinXP since the Linux port is unstable as hell).

Just finished Super Mario Bros 2 (JP). Holy crap. What a ridiculous Mario game. I used to think it was stupid they didn't release it NA but after playing it I think that was probably a good idea; there would have been a lot of broken controllers. I don't think I could EVER beat it without save states.
I've beat it on the GameBoy Color, the Mario Bros DX game includes the lost levels. But reading about it now it seems they removed wind and some difficulty, plus you can save at each level:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros.:_The_Lost_Levels#Super_Mario_Bros._Deluxe

I still remember I suffered on these levels.

Back