What Are Gph Like?

jacksterson

Were they a bunch of gamers and nerds who thought it would be cool to have a handheld emulator, or are they all in it for the money, or are they just going with the flow? Anybody know?

Or rather, what do you guys think?

I think we'll go with

psyduck.gif

You'd have to hold out for some of the guys that actually know them, but from what I've heard, they are a small south Korean company. They have whatever monetary motivation as a small company, and I think they genuinely want to create a good product, though they are not always successful in every detail.

From the impression I get, they are amused at the homebrew and emulation scene, but I don't think that had anything to do with their motivations to produce devices.

Again, this is just what little I've picked up hanging out here occasionally. Hopefully someone like EvilDragon will show up, who actually deals with GPH regularly!

They are neither gamers nor nerds. If they were gamers, they have given the gp2x good controls from the start and they would never have considered releasing the wiz with a second d-pad instead of action buttons. If they were nerds, they'd know what the GPL is.
They probably just want their share of the gaming pmp market. Both the gp2x and the wiz were marketed mainly as pmps by them.

They were fine for the brief contact I had with them. But it was kind of hard to tell anything through the google translated Korean to English messages.
Its unfortunate the ones that were on here have gone away, it was kind of nice not having to go the middleman route.

They are what was pretty much the engineering version of GamePark, right? So they're probably mostly engineers who were employed there (along with the rest of the company) and then split off into GPH.

and then split off into GPH.
Honestly, I think if they want to make a decent device, and keep me interested, is they need to release a product with a more open design software-wise, and they should also have taken some advice from the dev community around here and elsewhere, on the design of the hardware/software. Even if they've designed the GP2XW to be a PMP, they can't expect to pass it off as an open gaming platform without ironing out all the problems and bottlenecks of the device that make it difficult to develop for. It's also pretty irritating that they kept advertising how great 3D ACCELERATION! was, and how the device had a 3D ACCELERATOR!, but it doesn't seem to be very great, performance-wise, and even GPH hasn't created a decent 3D game that utilises this. They haven't even greated a REAL 3D visualiser. They're a mess as a company, and I think they've only gotten so many sales of their product because they're partly responsible for both the GP32 and GP2X. Honestly, if they plan to develop a different console in the following years, they should take a lot more feedback from the community that's actually going to purchase the item. I mean come on, a touch screen on a device that small? Why? Think about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with the touchscreen? It's unobtrusive at worst, and in reality a cool new input method that I wish the first GP2X had too. Did you play Space Varments? If not you should, it alone is enough to justify the touchscreen :)

GP32 definitely seems like it was designed more to be a gaming platform than anything else. How this ethic got lost with GP2X I don't really know, given that it was made by the same employees. But I think they're focusing on games primarily again with Wiz. Especially with all that Korea wants to compete with gaming handhelds.

That's not to say that that makes them gamers, per se.

I agree with all of you, they definitely need someone to pay attention to the forums and ask detailed questions. Hell, if they really are that messed about, maybe they should make changelogs, blogs, and have a comment section for each post, and then comb through them with a fine tooth comb.

If only I knew Korean, I would SO do this for them. God I want to learn it so badly... anyone here willing to teach? :D

Anyways, maybe we as a community should make our voices heard more apparently. They're the first to take on this homebrew approach so seriously, and actually released a half-decent device, they now have a responsibility to all the hobbyists that are bound to flock to them.

That is, unless, they were hoping we would just take over and do all the work ourselves. Which it seems to be at this point...

I don't think GPH are hardened gamers per say, but I do think they are really good engineers who are very proud of the Wiz and are trying their utmost to make a really nice solid console.

@ jacksterson:
GPH do listen to us, if they didn't they wouldn't have added a centre pivot to the D-Pad or separated the ABXY buttons. They did try and trawl the forums and give us feedback directly and we all know what happened there. The thing is their English isn't 100% and one word out of place can skew the whole point of a post, we know how pedantic some of our members are. This is why after talking to GPH they asked me to become a sort of liaison and this is why I created the Wiz Feedback thread. I am atm feeding back info and requests to GPH and they are considering them all very seriously, if it's plausible/possible, they may implement it in a future firmware update. Please don't underestimate how important our feedback is to GPH.

I like the guys at GPH, they are very friendly, enormously proud of their product and really believe they can make it a success. I'm not saying the Wiz is everyone's cup of tea but for a small company in a huge pond they have made a nice splash with the Wiz, and we are partly to be thanked for that.

I don't think GPH are hardened gamers per say, but I do think they are really good engineers who are very proud of the Wiz and are trying their utmost to make a really nice solid console.

@ jacksterson:
GPH do listen to us, if they didn't they wouldn't have added a centre pivot to the D-Pad or separated the ABXY buttons. They did try and trawl the forums and give us feedback directly and we all know what happened there. The thing is their English isn't 100% and one word out of place can skew the whole point of a post, we know how pedantic some of our members are. This is why after talking to GPH they asked me to become a sort of liaison and this is why I created the Wiz Feedback thread. I am atm feeding back info and requests to GPH and they are considering them all very seriously, if it's plausible/possible, they may implement it in a future firmware update. Please don't underestimate how important our feedback is to GPH.

I like the guys at GPH, they are very friendly, enormously proud of their product and really believe they can make it a success. I'm not saying the Wiz is everyone's cup of tea but for a small company in a huge pond they have made a nice splash with the Wiz, and we are partly to be thanked for that.
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to slander them or anything, but it is a real relief to know that they are proud, it makes me feel a little proud myself, to be part of the community!

Fluffy, do you speak Korean?

From the impression I get, they are amused at the homebrew and emulation scene, but I don't think that had anything to do with their motivations to produce devices.
I don't think the GP32 was intended to be a homebrew machine... they just neglected to lock it down properly and the scene popped up as a result. It took a long time for them to realise that so many of the people that bought the GP32 did so for homebrew and emulation.

John

She's a brilliant Xynolinguist too!
Yeah, what he said
lol.gif

Seriously though, no I can't speak Korean, the guys I talk to have pretty good english but as mentioned earlier not 100% fluent and can sometimes accidentally skew the point of a post consequently getting flamed. I also have formed a good relationship with them and am able to talk on a personal level, this makes for good communication :)

She's a brilliant Xynolinguist too!
Yeah, what he said
lol.gif
Seriously though, no I can't speak Korean, the guys I talk to have pretty good english but as mentioned earlier not 100% fluent and can sometimes accidentally skew the point of a post consequently getting flamed. I also have formed a good relationship with them and am able to talk on a personal level, this makes for good communication :)

Oh, of course, haha, lucky you. I'd love to get to know the designer of the Wiz's default skin and logo. I do have to say though, whoever did the box was brilliant!

Back