Wiz?..gp2x?..

eyeballpauluk

Still Fresh
hey all.

I came across the handheld called gp2x and thought id have a look.

But now im confused as there are a gp2x, wiz and pandora!!! Whats the difference? Are they newer versions of teh same one coming out? Is the wiz the replacement to gp2x or what?

Wiz is the new version of the GP2X. Pandora is completely unrelated to either of the other two.

'Orkie' said:
Wiz is the new version of the GP2X. Pandora is completely unrelated to either of the other two.
so its perhaps the wiz i need to look into then. Is there only the one version of it? is there any upgrades coming out soon or what? I do have a bad habit of buying something shortly before upgrades etc lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you understand, Wiz does not play GP2X software natively. In that regard it's as much a different platform from the GP2X as the Pandora is. The design is also quite different (smaller, buttons arranged in a dpad shape).

'Exophase' said:
Just so you understand, Wiz does not play GP2X software natively. In that regard it's as much a different platform from the GP2X as the Pandora is. The design is also quite different (smaller, buttons arranged in a dpad shape).
ah..

well, basically i was hoping to get a handheld, which would let me play all teh usual emu's, like snes/megadrive/mame/neogeo etc

i did initially play some of these on my PSP, but that broke, and my new one is not hacked, and ill be keeping it that way.

'eyeballpauluk' said:
'Exophase' said:
ah..

well, basically i was hoping to get a handheld, which would let me play all teh usual emu's, like snes/megadrive/mame/neogeo etc

i did initially play some of these on my PSP, but that broke, and my new one is not hacked, and ill be keeping it that way.

Yeah, they should all get the (mostly) same batch of emulators.

Well there are no other versions of the Wiz coming out because the Wiz didn't even come out yet :) :) ( I sometimes buy things before updates too it really hurts :( :( )

'Orange Pumpkin' said:
Well there are no other versions of the Wiz coming out because the Wiz didn't even come out yet :) :) ( I sometimes buy things before updates too it really hurts :( :( )
ah, so its not out yet lol...I assume it is better to wait for the wiz, rather than get gp2x? (seeing its the sort of replacement)

'eyeballpauluk' said:
'Orange Pumpkin' said:
ah, so its not out yet lol...I assume it is better to wait for the wiz, rather than get gp2x? (seeing its the sort of replacement)

They don't manufacture the old GP2X anymore :( I was going to buy one the week before they stopped. You could get a GP2X off eBay, but it would probably cost more than a Wiz. You could have a look at the pandora, it's more of an ultra-portable PC which runs Linux, but you'd be best waiting for Wiz if you're looking for something more like a tiny PSP.

Hope that helped :D

'eyeballpauluk' said:
If that's all you want, you may want to consider the A320. It is available now and costs about half that of the Wiz.

www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20217

I'd stick to the Wiz personally :) I own an A320, and while it's OK, it doesn't have hardware 3d acceleration or a touchscreen like the Wiz. The Wiz also already has a group of homebrew coders who developed (and will continue to develop) new games/software for it, whereas the A320 (to my knowledge) doesn't, despite it already being released. Because the GP2X and Wiz are both ARM based, it makes porting emulators between the two easier, so you're more likely to see superior emulators on the Wiz than on the A320 IMO.

'fishybawb' said:
I'd stick to the Wiz personally :) I own an A320, and while it's OK, it doesn't have hardware 3d acceleration or a touchscreen like the Wiz. The Wiz also already has a group of homebrew coders who developed (and will continue to develop) new games/software for it, whereas the A320 (to my knowledge) doesn't, despite it already being released. Because the GP2X and Wiz are both ARM based, it makes porting emulators between the two easier, so you're more likely to see superior emulators on the Wiz than on the A320 IMO.
The A320, on the other hand, has taken at least one emulator from PSP since they're both MIPS ;p

A320 might be okay if there actually is a way to put software on it and there actually does end up being good toolchains and interested devs but I wouldn't hold my breath. JXD301 had a bunch of people clamoring over it but in the end I haven't heard of any substantial enthusiast work being done on it or any of its Blackfin successors.

'cloudy-cola-corp' said:
'eyeballpauluk' said:
'Orange Pumpkin' said:

They don't manufacture the old GP2X anymore :( I was going to buy one the week before they stopped. You could get a GP2X off eBay, but it would probably cost more than a Wiz. You could have a look at the pandora, it's more of an ultra-portable PC which runs Linux, but you'd be best waiting for Wiz if you're looking for something more like a tiny PSP.

IMO, the Wiz is not so much a new console but a GP2X rehash. There are a few new features, like Flash and 3D hardware and the OLED screen, but there is little peformance gain CPU-wise(or is this mmuhack problems? please correct me). If you just want the emulators, save the money and get an A320.

'arrrgh' said:
IMO, the Wiz is not so much a new console but a GP2X rehash.
Then Gp2x is a "rehash" of Gp32 ? just some more Mhz, coprocessor, 8x Ram e.t.c.? :p

'quasist' said:
'arrrgh' said:
Then Gp2x is a "rehash" of Gp32 ? just some more Mhz, coprocessor, 8x Ram e.t.c.? :p

Considering the time passed there isn't much (emulator) speed difference between the GP32 and Wiz.

'craigix' said:
'quasist' said:
'arrrgh' said:

Considering the time passed there isn't much (emulator) speed difference between the GP32 and Wiz.

That's an odd comparison - the emulators that were capable of running at "full speed" on the GP32 did so on the GP2X, and will on the Wiz too. Do you want to play games faster than intended, or are we talking theoreticals here?

'fishybawb' said:
That's an odd comparison - the emulators that were capable of running at "full speed" on the GP32 did so on the GP2X, and will on the Wiz too. Do you want to play games faster than intended, or are we talking theoreticals here?
Do you really not know what he meant by "faster"? Obviously it was intended to be relevent only for the applications that didn't already run at "fullspeed" under ideal circumstances (ie, no frameskip, high quality audio, high accuracy.. etc)

And I agree, for a handheld being released nearly 8 years later Wiz doesn't have as much of an advantage in CPU processing power as you would expect, I'd estimate 2-3x on average over a 133MHz GP32.

'Exophase' said:
'fishybawb' said:
Do you really not know what he meant by "faster"? Obviously it was intended to be relevent only for the applications that didn't already run at "fullspeed" under ideal circumstances (ie, no frameskip, high quality audio, high accuracy.. etc)

And I agree, for a handheld being released nearly 8 years later Wiz doesn't have as much of an advantage in CPU processing power as you would expect, I'd estimate 2-3x on average over a 133MHz GP32.

Sorry, my bad, I really didn't read that right at all :(

ok thanks lads...i think ill just wait and see what happens when the wiz comes out. See how the first batch are before i buy one.

Back