Someone Need To Talk To Gph About That Analog Stick

Who will buy that Caanoo analog handheld to play emulators

• me, that for sure, i dream to have a analog stick to play emulator, Wow im really happy

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • i will buy it anyway to play emulator, but im really dissapointed to have this analog stick

• i had a zodiac before, you can forget me, i will never buy that thing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • im not interested to buy a handheld with only a analog stick to play emulators

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Don't play emulators and am more than happy to have an analogue stick for homebrew

• I have a Pandora , i dont need that.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I have a pandora and i will buy this Caanoo anyway, i dont mind to have a analog stick to play emula

• I'm not getting a canoe, and I'm indifferent about the stick

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Anyway, This Pool Sucks, i prefer to have a good time with my girlfriend than waste my time to creat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • renejr902 is a strange person and his english is really bad, i always want to say it thanks ! anyway

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Im not sure if i will buy it. i have to think about this analog stick.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • i prefer to play with my own stick (it can be funny) than buy that Caanoo analog stick

• Still having a analog stick is not really a disaster, compared to montreal canadiens that trade thei

• I'm getting the Caanoo, and am indifferent to the stick

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • im not getting it, Because i want both like the pandora: a analog stick + a d-pad

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

migo said:
I haven't seen anything wrong with emulated Genesis or SNES games on the PSP.

That's because you have a different set of acceptance criteria than other people. A concept I'm not sure you really understand. I've pointed out flaws with the platforms - whether or not these are significant to you is a personal matter. The fact is, they're significant to others, and when addressing other people you shouldn't downplay this.

migo said:
I As for the market proving that people don't want new games. GP2X sold 60,000 units. That's nearing Gizmondo territory, so there really isn't much of a market for it at all. A few people are happy with it, but most people would rather play new games as well as old. The homebrew and emulation community is also much larger for the PSP thanks to its larger install base. I'm sure there are more Pandora Batteries floating around than there are GP2X, GP32, Wiz and Dingoo units combined. Support for any emulation only system dies pretty much the moment the next system comes out, whereas if you get a PSP the support will stay a lot longer at least until the PSP2 gets released, and even then Sony's track record shows the PSP will continue to be supported for years.

I never said anything about proving that people don't want new games - just that there are SOME PEOPLE who don't. You can argue this all you want, but telling people to their face that they want something they don't is stupid. It doesn't matter how many PSPs or DSs were sold or how popular homebrew was on there when you're trying to convince people to buy one. This is not a popularity contest.

Sony may be continuing to support PSP, but homebrew authors have been much less enthusiastic in continuing support.

migo said:
The GP32 lasted 4 years, the F-100 2 years, F-200 2 years, Wiz 1-year. A320 support is uncertain as the A330 could get launched any day now for all we know, it's not like the Chinese PMP market is entirely stable. If no new units are being sold, development and support for the platform is going to die. Even though the PSP-3000 and PSPGo seemed to be a lost cause for homebrew, people stuck with it and though you have to launch it each time you've now got CFW and homebrew emulators on those too.

Yeah, maintaining custom firmwares are very popular on PSP. Too bad working on good homebrew and emulators isn't nearly as popular.

migo said:
$80 new doesn't count shipping and import duties. You can get a PSP off craigslist with no taxes even for less than the total you're paying for the Dingoo, and the PSP has a good enough reliability track record that I'd feel better buying one second hand than some cheap chinese PMP.

You can buy a Dingoo for $75 off of eBay, with shipping it might be $85 at most. Buying a PSP off of craigslist, now you're really reaching. That sounds worth saving a couple dollars over, to drive to some stranger's house. Sony's reliability track record doesn't say anything for what that person has done to the unit.

migo said:
DS games won't be emulated at all on the PC, you'd need some sort of controller that handles it, either splitting up 2 external number pads on either side of a Wacom tablet or some other ridiculous contraption.

I guess all the people enjoying the vast number of games that either don't use the touchscreen at all or use it in a way that a mouse is sufficient to must be tripping on acid.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I see it (and I won't argue over this), we have got to the point where the emulator crowd just can't be pleased. Even machines with older hardware like the GP2X can emulate almost everything most people will really want to, so they would essentially be buying a whole new machine to play exactly the same games they already do! You now need a huge leap to make a fairly small difference to emulation. You can't please them by making changes which open up new possibilities because they don't actually want anything to change, yet they complain if essentially the same hardware is released.

Maybe they should just stick with what they've got and be happy with the fact they can already play all these games? :p

They could have released a handheld with both an analog and digital stick. Like what Nintendo is doing. People don't want "different", they want "more" or "better."

If people want a D-Pad they could've just bught a Wiz. It has a better(albeit smaller) screen with tearing that is now fixed. I do know the small screen and diagonal tearing was a deal breaker for a lot of folks, but I love the OLED screen. Also, I don't really see this analog stick as a big problem. If I can play fighting games fine on the GP2X then I am more than certain the Caanoo will be fine for me control wise. Man I don't think any open source handheld company is ever going to please the "masses". OPT are also still getting complaints about things on the Pandora even though it's been finalized for years.

geise69 said:
If people want a D-Pad they could've just bught a Wiz. It has a better(albeit smaller) screen with tearing that is now fixed. I do know the small screen and diagonal tearing was a deal breaker for a lot of folks, but I love the OLED screen. Also, I don't really see this analog stick as a big problem. If I can play fighting games fine on the GP2X then I am more than certain the Caanoo will be fine for me control wise. Man I don't think any open source handheld company is ever going to please the "masses". OPT are also still getting complaints about things on the Pandora even though it's been finalized for years.

Could've maybe. Won't be able to soon.

This isn't about pleasing the "masses." GPH is releasing a handheld which they claim to be 100% compatible with Wiz software, but in practice will be pretty deficient with a lot of it. The "emulator crowd" isn't unwilling to accept new things, they just don't want to give up all the old things in the process.

Exophase said:
migo said:
What's the point? The Dingoo only plays emulators and a few native games. PSP and DS both have their own library of games, and in particular with the DS they can't even be emulated on anything else. In either case you get a much better overall experience with the PSP or DS, and given the PSP-2000 is coming in at $110 refurbished from EB Games nowadays, you're paying a very small price premium over the Dingoo. I'm not sure what the DS Lite is costing, but it can't be far from that price either. Dingoo will also result in shipping costs and likely import duties. Really not worth it.

The Wiz brought the OLED screen to the table, which had potential, and the Canoo brings an analog stick, which is at least different and opens up potential for other types of games.

I don't know why you single out DS as having games that can't be emulated on anything else.. they can be emulated on PC, much more reasonably than PSP games can be. Or maybe you're one of those people that thinks without two screens it's no good emulating it, I dunno.

Or maybe it's the missing input method?

Exophase said:
That's because you have a different set of acceptance criteria than other people. A concept I'm not sure you really understand.

Oh, I understand it just fine, but I find you all are a bit whiny about the whole situation. You complain that the Wiz has tearing, the Canoo doesn't have OLED, the PSP-1000 & 2000 has ghosting and the PSP-3000 has banding. Pick and choose, you'll have one issue or other that will bother some people than others. One person might find ghosting annoying, another banding, a third person might not be able to tolerate tearing, while a fourth just can't handle not having a bright screen. When it comes to input method, the Wiz and Dingoo have nothing on the PSP, and they have a massively deficient software library in comparison too. The Canoo brings something different in - a real analog stick, which is beneficial for games that a D-Pad sucks for, that means there's actually a reason to buy it.

I never said anything about proving that people don't want new games - just that there are SOME PEOPLE who don't. You can argue this all you want, but telling people to their face that they want something they don't is stupid. It doesn't matter how many PSPs or DSs were sold or how popular homebrew was on there when you're trying to convince people to buy one. This is not a popularity contest.

I said the market didn't prove it. If some odd person doesn't like new games, for whatever bizarre reason (most likely some twisted form of elitism), then sure, but for most people the PSP is still the better option because at least it plays PSP and PS1 games well.

Sony may be continuing to support PSP, but homebrew authors have been much less enthusiastic in continuing support.

Some left, while others stepped in to fill the void. The PSP has a much wider user base so one developer leaving won't kill the whole platform.

Yeah, maintaining custom firmwares are very popular on PSP. Too bad working on good homebrew and emulators isn't nearly as popular.

It's still more popular than on any of the dedicated emulator systems.

You can buy a Dingoo for $75 off of eBay, with shipping it might be $85 at most.

You clearly don't shop on ebay. Shipping can easily hit $20, and that doesn't count import fees.

Buying a PSP off of craigslist, now you're really reaching. That sounds worth saving a couple dollars over, to drive to some stranger's house. Sony's reliability track record doesn't say anything for what that person has done to the unit.

I've bought many things off craigslist, I've furnished an entire apartment with things I bought off craigslist, including a couch for $70 that would run $3500 brand new. I've bought electronics off craigslist too, half my video game systems are bought off craigslist and I've never had a single problem with it. I'm not reaching, I know what I'm doing and what I'm getting. If you're a girl I could see being hesitant to deal with craigslist but it's not a concern if you have a pair of balls.

I guess all the people enjoying the vast number of games that either don't use the touchscreen at all or use it in a way that a mouse is sufficient to must be tripping on acid.

Oh the ironing! People are complaining about an analog stick being crappy and at the same time think playing DS games with a mouse and keyboard is just dandy?

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Read the rest of the thread before replying, thanks.

No, he's right. It's ridiculous to play a DS game without the original input method. On a home system there's no excuse. On a portable system you make sacrifices, but there's no reason to do so with a home system.

The only downside to an analog stick is analog drift. A problem the Zodiac suffers from with too much use. If it was possible for GPH to somehow offer an option in the firmware that could theoretically have the analog stick behave like a digital one then you could have the best of both worlds.

migo said:
Oh, I understand it just fine, but I find you all are a bit whiny about the whole situation. You complain that the Wiz has tearing, the Canoo doesn't have OLED, the PSP-1000 & 2000 has ghosting and the PSP-3000 has banding. Pick and choose, you'll have one issue or other that will bother some people than others. One person might find ghosting annoying, another banding, a third person might not be able to tolerate tearing, while a fourth just can't handle not having a bright screen. When it comes to input method, the Wiz and Dingoo have nothing on the PSP, and they have a massively deficient software library in comparison too. The Canoo brings something different in - a real analog stick, which is beneficial for games that a D-Pad sucks for, that means there's actually a reason to buy it.

"blah blah blah everyone has problems oh yeah my opinions are still the best"

Some people prefer d-pad over analog for what they want these devices for and don't care about the PSP's software library. Why are you so hostile towards this?

migo said:
I said the market didn't prove it. If some odd person doesn't like new games, for whatever bizarre reason (most likely some twisted form of elitism), then sure, but for most people the PSP is still the better option because at least it plays PSP and PS1 games well.

Don't care if the market proves it. If you think that people who prefer old games (and I'm talking even older than PS1, btw) are just being "elitist" then you can go piss off. I doubt you'll ever understand the preferences of others.

migo said:
Some left, while others stepped in to fill the void. The PSP has a much wider user base so one developer leaving won't kill the whole platform.

All in all, PSP, for all of its larger userbase, has fewer skilled developers because of the kind of community there. I've seen it first hand more than plenty, but have also heard similar sentiments from users who have stuck around over the years. Many think the platform is basically dead now.

migo said:
It's still more popular than on any of the dedicated emulator systems.

Not really. More popular to develop for, that is.

migo said:
You clearly don't shop on ebay. Shipping can easily hit $20, and that doesn't count import fees.

"can", not "always does", uh yes I've shopped on eBay, from other countries, even China as a matter of fact.....

migo said:
I've bought many things off craigslist, I've furnished an entire apartment with things I bought off craigslist, including a couch for $70 that would run $3500 brand new. I've bought electronics off craigslist too, half my video game systems are bought off craigslist and I've never had a single problem with it. I'm not reaching, I know what I'm doing and what I'm getting. If you're a girl I could see being hesitant to deal with craigslist but it's not a concern if you have a pair of balls.

Wow, sexist much?

Seriously, as if you didn't say enough annoying things without shit like that.

I've bought handhelds used before (my DS, for instance) and I've regretted it because they were worn out. Why should my hesitation be any different just because it's off of craigslist? Guess I'm not "man" enough to trust used hardware, enh. No, that doesn't mean that I think everything used is going to be bad, it's just an added risk.

migo said:
Oh the ironing! People are complaining about an analog stick being crappy and at the same time think playing DS games with a mouse and keyboard is just dandy?

"Ironing"? Okay, whatever. This just in, several games (popular ones, even) on DS use the dpad almost exclusively, others only use the touchscreen for completely trivial functions that a mouse has absolutely zero problem handling (go play NSMB for instance). I know you're totally into touchscreens but not everyone feels the same way, enough such that DS emulators on PCs actually get used. If people are okay with analog over dpads for games then that's fine - but that's a different type of input system for EVERY game on MANY platforms (unless you can find me some large library of console games that didn't use the d-pad), seems like a different situation than one compromise on one handheld's emulation. Oh, but that's right, no one said that Canoo wouldn't even be emulating the damn things like you were so bold to say about DS.

You're also conflating two completely different and unrelated groups of people, ie just because I brought up DS emulation on PC doesn't mean that suddenly everyone here who is opposed to the analog stick wants to emulate DS on a PC. It's a really common fallacy I see all the time in arguments, where you claim your opposition is invalid because two groups who are both opposing you are not consistent with each other.

So let's stick to the matter at hand; people are unhappy with GPH removing the dpad on a system they're calling compatible, not with DS emulators being available on a platform that doesn't typically have a touchscreen, something that's little more than a luxury. If Nintendo were releasing the 3DS without a touchscreen (and instead some mouse like input, I guess) and people were embracing it with open arms while simultaneously rejecting GPH's decision with Canoo then I'm sure you'd have a point, but I think they'd actually be pretty pissed off of over that too.

By the way, I emulate with a gamepad, not a keyboard. I wouldn't personally use a keyboard for a platform with a d-pad in a million years. Others are fine with it, of course.

migo said:
No, he's right. It's ridiculous to play a DS game without the original input method. On a home system there's no excuse. On a portable system you make sacrifices, but there's no reason to do so with a home system.

Yeah yeah, whatever. I think I've had about enough of your facts. Your logic of why it's okay to make sacrifices on a handheld but unacceptable on a PC is completely lost on me. How about this concept instead - whatever a user appreciates and is comfortable with is fine for that user.

the answer is like said exophase we dont something different , we want more.

A D-pad + a analog stick would be awesome on the Caanoo. I will preorder it right now if it was the case.

i said i prefer a D-pad , but i prefer to have both thats for sure.

PLEASE GPH ADD A D-PAD. dont dissapoint the most part of your customer, like i can see on my poll.

WE WANT : A D-pad + a analog stick

i will accept to pay more to have it.

OK i just sent a email to Tony Han tonyhan@gp2x.com

Do like me and send him email, try to convince him that we need not only a analog stick but a d-pad too. WE NEED BOTH OF THEM

I try my best to convince him, and write a very long email explaning a lot of things. i give him a few link that disccuss that in gp32x forum.

A analog stick + a D-pad will be a great sucess for this handheld. im insisting on it because they took time to do a beautiful handheld, its look promising but without a D-pad , its like a Ferrari car with generic tires or no wheel to control it. lol

I hope i will get a answer, i asked him to give me a answer about reconsidering to add a D-pad.

( sorry about my english again, im not sure all the things i said are really wrote correctly LOL LOL) thanks

i think i will keep these words from Exophase for my slogan: We dont want something different, we want more.
edit: i changed my vote for that: im not getting it, Because i want both like the pandora: a analog stick + a d-pad
anyway they cant remove the analog stick to put a D-pad i think they can dissapoint some people that are happy about the analog stick

renejr902 said:
WE WANT : A D-pad

i will NOT accept to pay more to have it.
Fixed

i wish you good luck with your inquiry.

though i really doubt they're going to fullfil your wish. the caanoo will be released as is on the 15th of august - so they definitely must be in mass production already :)

rene your campaign is pointless, they will not change things this late into the product.

Exophase said:
Nova said:

Read the rest of the thread before replying, thanks.

Oh, sorry, you mean the part where you said it was a non-issue? Better luck next time.

Nova said:
Oh, sorry, you mean the part where you said it was a non-issue? Better luck next time.

No, you're not really getting why I asked you to read the rest of the thread. It's because he already responded to me and I already responded to his response. I'm not going to now respond to YOU on it because you didn't care to see how it progressed before responding.

And I never said it was a "non-issue", please.

Exophase said:
Nova said:

No, you're not really getting why I asked you to read the rest of the thread. It's because he already responded to me and I already responded to his response. I'm not going to now respond to YOU on it because you didn't care to see how it progressed before responding.

And I never said it was a "non-issue", please.

If the post offended, you it would perhaps have been prudent to have ignored it, rather than wasting yours and my time arguing over it.

And you pretty much insinuated it, when you said that people could do just as well using a mouse. In my opinion, this takes a lot away from the whole idea of playing DS games, but I guess that is subjective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-YCHqtI-w
shows off the analog quite well. looks better than the gp2x to me.

Nova said:
If the post offended, you it would perhaps have been prudent to have ignored it, rather than wasting yours and my time arguing over it.

The post didn't offend me. I just asked you to, in the future, continue reading the thread before replying...

Nova said:
And you pretty much insinuated it, when you said that people could do just as well using a mouse. In my opinion, this takes a lot away from the whole idea of playing DS games, but I guess that is subjective.

I didn't say "people could do just as well using a mouse", I said that a lot of games don't even use the touchscreen or use it in a very trivial fashion.

Why do I get the feeling lately that people don't really read what I write?

Back