What About Some Decent Ports?

icurafu said:
I read about that. A lot of work was completed to make it work on 64MB, but not completed. This will be great to get it working on the OpenPandora. :)
I am probably gonna take a crack at getting it working on the GP2X (however, I don't know C++ nearly as well as C, and on top of that I was discouraged by something I saw in the source regarding the ahem, crappiness of the AI).

We'll see..

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack said:
icurafu said:
I read about that. A lot of work was completed to make it work on 64MB, but not completed. This will be great to get it working on the OpenPandora. :)
I am probably gonna take a crack at getting it working on the GP2X (however, I don't know C++ nearly as well as C, and on top of that I was discouraged by something I saw in the source regarding the ahem, crappiness of the AI).

We'll see..

The AI is ok. I'm sure most players wouldn't notice.

I've spent about 10 hours on that game. And I've exploited the AI at some points, but that's typical for non humun players.

Baiame said:
No One Lives Forever would be an awesome port. It's open source, and the Pandora could handle it nicely, but it depends on the Lithtech engine of the day. Presumably that engine can only use Dx7 or later, no OGL.
I agree... this would make for a brilliant port. The system requirements are very low; Pandora could definitely handle it. I guess the DirectX part might pose a bit of a challenge though.

Source code

Screenshots

PokeParadox said:
Analogue sticks are fine if that's the only option you have... but if you have something designed for pointing, then it makes sense to use that to aim... or am I the only one that sees that intuition? :huh:
Regardless, controls should be as configurable as possible. I'm not trying to shoehorn you all into my way of thinking, although seemingly you are... :unsure: But Playing Metroid Prime Hunters on the NDS would show you that touchscreen for aiming does work for portable FPS games.
There is a difference between pointing and aiming with relative movement. The same way you don't have a mouse pointer in a PC FPS to click on the things you want to hit, using a stylus on a touchscreen for pointing isn't going to work that well. I've tried a few stylus controlled FPS games on a PDA, and they all don't work too well.

TyBO! said:
fusion_power said:
Sadly, Tomb Raider is not Open Source, could be fun to on the Pandora.
Let's not forget, a fullspeed Playstation emulator will allegedly exist!

Hm, OK, if someone will code a good PSX Emulator, then TR is possible of course. :) Only in PSX Resolution maybe but good enough.

TyBO! said:
Baiame said:
No One Lives Forever would be an awesome port. It's open source, and the Pandora could handle it nicely, but it depends on the Lithtech engine of the day. Presumably that engine can only use Dx7 or later, no OGL.
I agree... this would make for a brilliant port. The system requirements are very low; Pandora could definitely handle it. I guess the DirectX part might pose a bit of a challenge though.

Source code

Screenshots

Sorry, but that is NOT the full source code but just the code to make MODs with, and to my knowledge the real sourcecode for NOLF isn't available.

fusion_power said:
TyBO! said:
fusion_power said:
Sadly, Tomb Raider is not Open Source, could be fun to on the Pandora.
Let's not forget, a fullspeed Playstation emulator will allegedly exist!

Hm, OK, if someone will code a good PSX Emulator, then TR is possible of course. :) Only in PSX Resolution maybe but good enough.

Why only in PSX resolution? A PSX emulator can run at whatever resolution you want, like 800x480 which is the resolution of the pandora. It will look a bit stretched, thought...

efegea said:
fusion_power said:
Why only in PSX resolution? A PSX emulator can run at whatever resolution you want, like 800x480 which is the resolution of the pandora. It will look a bit stretched, thought...

AIR, the native resolution for the PSX was 320x240, so 2D graphics would simply be doubled to 640x480. (Stretching wouldn't be advised, either for aesthetic or software reasons.) OTOH, any 3D graphics are screen-resolution independent. I've run ePSXe at 1280x1024, and it looked gorgeous (For a given value of 'gorgeous' ;)) Running it at 640x480 would look better than an actual PSX.

I'd love to see any version of Descent/Descent 2 ported over... Dual analog controls = certain win; too bad that the Pandora doesn't have 4 shoulderbuttons, otherwise this might be EXCELLENT (left-shoulderbuttons for forward/reverse movement, right shoulderbuttons for primary/secondary fire) and really awesomely awesome... Ohwell, we can still hope, right? :)

Megagun said:
I'd love to see any version of Descent/Descent 2 ported over... Dual analog controls = certain win; too bad that the Pandora doesn't have 4 shoulderbuttons, otherwise this might be EXCELLENT (left-shoulderbuttons for forward/reverse movement, right shoulderbuttons for primary/secondary fire) and really awesomely awesome... Ohwell, we can still hope, right? :)

You mean like this, this, or this, which will all run on the PSX emulator? :D

Yeah, but obviously a port would be 9999 times better than emulating the PSX version of Descent. :)
Multiplayer online games.. yum...

um, im just catching the end of this thread, so excuse me if i missed something.

You guys sound like you want a port to decent1/2? They are out there, look for dx1 rebirth, dx2. The Dx1 port isnt bad, the dx2 needed some work.

Update, OK i get the thread now. Should be no problem for these to be ported to Pandora. Pretty much if its works for GP2X at all it will work for Pandora and better if the program needs more speed.

For any of those interested, the source for the original SimCity (renamed Micropolis for TM purposes) has just been released under GPL.

I know more polished versions of the game will be available via emulation (SNES, GBA, DOSbox, etc.), but there might be some fun in playing around with the game engine. Enjoy.

Chip said:
For any of those interested, the source for the original SimCity (renamed Micropolis for TM purposes) has just been released under GPL.

I know more polished versions of the game will be available via emulation (SNES, GBA, DOSbox, etc.), but there might be some fun in playing around with the game engine. Enjoy.

hmm, thats interesting cause Zodtdd was bloggin about maybe doing a simcity for iphone.

PokeParadox said:
Sparr said:
PokeParadox said:
Yes, and with the touch-screen, FPS games should control much better than on the 2X! :)
err, pandora has two analog sticks, why on earth would you use the touchscreen?

Analogue sticks are fine if that's the only option you have... but if you have something designed for pointing, then it makes sense to use that to aim... or am I the only one that sees that intuition? :huh:
Regardless, controls should be as configurable as possible. I'm not trying to shoehorn you all into my way of thinking, although seemingly you are... :unsure: But Playing Metroid Prime Hunters on the NDS would show you that touchscreen for aiming does work for portable FPS games.

I love Metroid Prime Hunters as much as the next guy. It's a brilliant game, but exactly how would you use the touch screen on the Pandora?

I can see the following problems:
* The Pandora only has a single screen, and it may look cluttered with both the HUD and the stylus in the way.
* An FPS would be difficult to play on the Pandora without sitting it on a surface, as you may only have one hand to hold the base with.
* At least one hand will be on the touch screen (to move the reticle), so the other hand will either be moving your character around or shooting. How will you be able to do both if the touch screen is on the top half and the buttons are on the bottom?

Metroid worked great on the DS because the touch screen was on the bottom half, which was also where all the buttons were. That left the top half with the gameplay screen clean. With all the weight and buttons on the bottom half of the Pandora, I can't imagine trying to hold it by the top screen and aim at the same time, let alone somehow reach the buttons.

I love FPS' too, but I can't see them taking advantage of the Pandora's touch screen for aiming. Maybe on an on-rails shooter, but not an FPS. I'm probably talking out of my ass and I don't know a great deal about the Pandora, but I'm really having trouble picturing playing a touch screen FPS.

Back