What About Some Decent Ports?

___

Advanced Member
Maybe we can collect some ideas for a few game ports here. Not like the innovative ideas topic, just plain games that use advanced graphics and might work on the pandora:

-quake 2 and 3 is a given I would say... that should be good for some action.

-homeworld? The sourcecode has been released. Has been talked about for the gp2x but wasn't possible due to lacking hardware... would this now be possible?

xnopasaranx said:
-homeworld? The sourcecode has been released. Has been talked about for the gp2x but wasn't possible due to lacking hardware... would this now be possible?
Definitly possible now I think.

Also a port of Freespace2 would be great, and if possible Sauerbraten (at least the engine should be ported for modding projects).

Last edited by a moderator:
This wouldn't be a port so much as a clone, but...

KATAMARI!!!

:D

PokeParadox said:
Yes, and with the touch-screen, FPS games should control much better than on the 2X! :)
err, pandora has two analog sticks, why on earth would you use the touchscreen?

www.lordsawar.com

A promising warlords 2 clone. (not really advanced graphics, but with the keyboard it should be much more portable)

No One Lives Forever would be an awesome port. It's open source, and the Pandora could handle it nicely, but it depends on the Lithtech engine of the day. Presumably that engine can only use Dx7 or later, no OGL.

Yuglooc said:
Because it's already ported to arm and put on the repository so it's just an install away.
Your telling me no modifications need to be made, that seems unlikely. What about controls and proper screen resolution? :blink:

Sparr said:
PokeParadox said:
Yes, and with the touch-screen, FPS games should control much better than on the 2X! :)
err, pandora has two analog sticks, why on earth would you use the touchscreen?

Analogue sticks are fine if that's the only option you have... but if you have something designed for pointing, then it makes sense to use that to aim... or am I the only one that sees that intuition? :huh:
Regardless, controls should be as configurable as possible. I'm not trying to shoehorn you all into my way of thinking, although seemingly you are... :unsure: But Playing Metroid Prime Hunters on the NDS would show you that touchscreen for aiming does work for portable FPS games.

^ I agree, touchscreen is much better for aiming, because a movement of the input device (the stylus) corresponds directly to a change in position of the reticle. Moving an analogue stick only directly changes the reticle's velocity.

Memory will be the bottleneck. A lot of these opensource games will need more than 128MB. I'm not sure how virtual memory would work.

Games with dumb mem management like Battles of Wesnoth will require reworking of the allocator.

icurafu said:
Games with dumb mem management like Battles of Wesnoth will require reworking of the allocator.
I seem to remember that someone was working on a gp2x port of battles of wesnoth, whatever happened to it?

Back