Were MSX games far more advanced than 8-bit nintendo?

I watched a video of MSX Parodius after playing the PCEngine version to death (during ROT1, as it happens). I was amazed how much of the game was in there, even if all the characters had morphed into two colour character-based sprites. It was like watching an ncurses version of Parodius. To me it works so well as a full-colour game with phat sprites that it surprises me that it was originally designed as a 8-bit home computer style game, where you could barely see what everything was supposed to be.

I had the Spectravideo with built in 3,5" disk drive. Much to the envy of my friends with a Commodore 64 and a tape deck.

Reliving my childhood msx games is one of the things I'm looking forward to most on my future Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a video of MSX Parodius after playing the PCEngine version to death (during ROT1, as it happens). I was amazed how much of the game was in there, even if all the characters had morphed into two colour character-based sprites. It was like watching an ncurses version of Parodius. To me it works so well as a full-colour game with phat sprites that it surprises me that it was originally designed as a 8-bit home computer style game, where you could barely see what everything was supposed to be.

yes, this is what surprises me. ...

there are games that looks like 3D even (ok very basic) but far better than some nintendo games. 

was msx better than the 6128 and nes...

How is it possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a very big difference inbetween versions of the MSX standard. Was MSX1 better than the NES? Not a chance. Was MSX2+? Quite possibly.

The MSX-1 has the same CPU and video chip as the ColecoVision, Sega SG-1000/SC-3000 and TI-99. It has sprites but no hardware fine scrolling. The MSX-2 had an upgraded version of the video chip that greatly enhanced the video capabilities and even had hardware support for copying and filling.

Thus the MSX-2 had better video capabilities as the NES but the MSX-1 certainly not.

Robert

Back