Panodra Durability

the durability of the Pandora is making me worried, do you think batch 2 will/is better in durability than batch 1?

no, they already have all the other stuff ready other than the PCBs, so all is same, pandora will collapse and fall apart just the same if you shut the lid too hard

once again, dont know which reply to beilieve, i guess its just chance when i order one to see if mine is better quality than the next guy, any more feedback is very helpful though, thanks all for the replies...

My Pandora creaks if squeezed like an orange, there is some bowing in the case plastic at the bottom of the screen, the paint on the lid is starting to wear where my index fingers support it to keep it from falling back into it's one 'notch'. (I prefer to use it just forward of that position.)

Still, it's perfect.

If your expectation is for a perfectly polished mass production device with components crafted to within microns and assembled in a clean room, you're not paying attention.

If your expectation is for a one step above garage manufacture device that breaks the mold and does things in a completely new way - and allows you the flexibility to do whatever you want to with it - then you might be in the right spot.

We need another one of those diagrams about how to determine if your Pandora is 'broken' or just has 'character'. Case imperfections that do not inhibit use as a computing/gaming device should be expected and should not be considered 'broken'. Just my $.02.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've my current Pandora since around April of this year, my previous one was one of the originals with dodgy nubs, which eventually needed replacing. The only damage that my Pandora has developed has been 2 cracks on the edge of the case near the top of the screen, poosibly caused by strain along the edge. They both have appeared within a month or so of each other, I've repaired them as best I could with superglue (not the finest workmanship in the world I'll admit, but it seems to have gotten the job done so far!)

My Pandora arrived a few months ago and had the following minor issues:

1) Small crack going down from keyboard letter V all the way down to the left SD slot (didn't affect anything and should not ever be a problem).

2) Almost imperceptible bow in the screen bezel.

3) Slightly higher gap on the left between lid and bottom case when lid is closed.

Those three were there from the start but never caused (or should cause) an issue, as far as I can see, during the expected lifetime of my Pandora.

4) Purple tint'o'death (LCD cable break) slowly increasing in last couple of weeks. (I won't RMA, I'm able to change the LCD cable myself and have ordered spares)

Other than that, nubs, d-pad, ABXY and L/R buttons, keyboard, wi-fi, bluetooth, H/Ph jack, SD slots, Power switch, both USB, audio (speakers), case paint, battery connections and any other mechanical bits were/are as flawless as such a device could be IMO.

My wife and daughter keep stealing my Pandora to play Gweled and PS1 games every time I take it out with me on our outings. THAT's its biggest fault. It's just too useful for me to share but I have to, or else suffer the consequences!!

well, realized that the pandora production is moving to germany, dont know if that will improve the build quality or not... but it says you cant buy the pandora now because of the moving of companies, maybe during that time the durability factor will be acknowledged better??? Anyone know how long the time will be before we can order again?

@CubeFreak - The *board production* is moving to Germany. That will likely not change anything to do with the cases, which I gather all already exist. ;)

@Cube Freak - The *board production* is moving to Germany. That will likely not change anything to do with the cases, which I gather all already exist. ;)

okay, sounds good, wish i could somehow ask ED if there would be any way to make a more consistant and stronger plastic... ***cough cough, Where are you ED?***

i know the pandora is not a huge company and build quality isnt a "deal breaker" for me, it would be nice to see something a little more resilient, heres a list of things i have realized over the couple weeks that i think ED should look over next time he has a little extra time (if that will ever happen, hats off to ED for his hard work)

1.) The Bumpers seem to be pretty stiff, but ive heard that thats Circuit Co.'s problem and maybe the company switch will change that.

2.) The casing near the hinge and the hinge itself seem to be cracking quite a bit, maybe finding a proper torque for the screw so the plastic wont receive as much stress?

3.) The occasional button malfunction.

4.) lastely, cracks seem to occur around the SD slots, maybe from stress?

I dont really care about the bending of the screen, can barely notice it, we have to draw the line somewhere ;) (right?)

EDIT: the LCD cables are going to be fixed for Batch 2 pandoras and on right? are they still using the stiff non bendy ones?

dude, all cases are already produced, get over it

stop it, really, it won't help you, it might even atract bad luck,

Cool down man...

You've never heard anyone on these boards being interested in improving the Pandora??

obviously over 1,000 posts isnt enough for you to realize that...

Actually, I think the problem is, these things have been said a *great deal* of times before. ;)

Unfortunately, repetition frays some tempers around here a bit.

Sorry Alerino and Prometheus, didnt know that this was a popular topic, Prometheus, you can delete this thread if you want :(

No no, it's not a problem at all! I was just explaining the reception some things sometimes get, and why. :lol:

Actually, I think the problem is, these things have been said a *great deal* of times before. ;)

i dont know how you keep your cool with these people.

and please....for the love of god....dont start a pandora 2 thread

"these people?"

"these people?"
the type of people that come in here requesting changes to the pandora 3 years after planning was done, and a year after most of the components have been made and are waiting for assembly+pcb right now, after OPT buried their financial debt to try and get something of the ground, only to be expected to drop it all and try again to make something that already exists in the millions in the market.

not all of this is towards you, but as you may have noticed, youre not the first to suggest changes

"these people?"
the type of people that come in here requesting changes to the pandora 3 years after planning was done, and a year after most of the components have been made and are waiting for assembly+pcb right now, after OPT buried their financial debt to try and get something of the ground, only to be expected to drop it all and try again to make something that already exists in the millions in the market.

not all of this is towards you, but as you may have noticed, youre not the first to suggest changes

Okay, well im not DEMANDING changes, all i am doing is offering suggestions to improve the device, ED can think about that, its not your decision to change the plastic or not.

how was the pandora started?

Suggestions through a forum...it would not exist without the help from all these people.

Back