Welcome to the decisive year

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
2014 is coming to an end (or has already ended in some regions), so of course I wish you all a Happy New Year and hope you had a few nice christmas holidays.

2015 will be an important year for us.

The Pyra will be finished, that's pretty much for sure, and then it's time to gain a lot of interest for it.

The interest will determine whether it'll be actually produced or not - but I'm pretty positive we can do that :)

But first - the last update of this year :)

1. The PCBs

Nikolaus completely finished the main PCB just before christmas and the PCBs have already been ordered!

So we'll soon have some fully working prototype PCBs.

He also designed an adapter so we can plug in the devboard as CPU board replacement, which allows us to fully test all functions of the mainboard.

So the only remaining PCB left is the CPU PCB. That will need about 100 workhours to be finished, and then the hardware is basically fully done (except for bugs we may find).

2. The Case

Not much else has happened since the last post, but it was christmas time, so every company had some holidays.

I expect more information in January.

I might make another trip to Greece as well to talk with them about the last tweaks if need be.

So, Happy New Year to all of you - see you soon!

Happy New Year to you as well ED. Looking forward to a Pyra filled 2015 :D

Chris

Happy new year to you all, too! Hope all will go well :)

2015 will be an important year for us.

The Pyra will be finished, that's pretty much for sure, and then it's time to gain a lot of interest for it.
Sure..I mean, what could possibly go wrong? Then again, you can predict volcano eruptions :p
The interest will determine whether it'll be actually produced or not - but I'm pretty positive we can do that :)
What? You're not even sure yet that you are going to produce the Pyra? Wow. That's quite an upfront investment then.

How many purchases do you need?

Before I forget, happy 2015 Michael. I hope that you managed to find some time to enjoy the holidays.

Happy new year ED.

Be proud to make all of this happened.

And thanks for what have been done to all of the members of this great community.

Uhm, what?   :ph34r:

Well the interest is there for sure, I guess it depends on how good the Pyra will be at the end and what it may cost. Advertising seems to be not a problem but make sure you can produce enough units if suddenly ten thousands of people want one! ;)

So the only remaining PCB left is the CPU PCB. That will need about 100 workhours to be finished, and then the hardware is basically fully done (except for bugs we may find).
That seems to be alot for only one person. I hope it went well.
2. The Case

Not much else has happened since the last post, but it was christmas time, so every company had some holidays.

I expect more information in January.

I might make another trip to Greece as well to talk with them about the last tweaks if need be.
Can you share some up to date sketches/renderings at least? Just for a discussion base here. ;)

EvilDragon, on 31 Dec 2014 - 07:18 AM, said: So the only remaining PCB left is the CPU PCB. That will need about 100 workhours to be finished, and then the hardware is basically fully done (except for bugs we may find). That seems to be alot for only one person. I hope it went well.
I've seen pictures, ED has a LOT of coffee he can share.. 

Good to hear about the progress.

If you don't mind me asking how will you know if there's enough interest without taking preorders?

As I remember you saying preorders weren't going to happen again.

What? You're not even sure yet that you are going to produce the Pyra? Wow. That's quite an upfront investment then.How many purchases do you need?
Well, I can produce prototypes, but I cannot afford to produce 1000 units upfront.

No biggie though, if we can't get enough interest here at the boards, then we can use Kickstarter, etc.

My guess is: Once I got working prototypes and can do some nice videos, it shouldn't be a big deal.

As mentioned, I'm pretty positive it will work out, either with preorders or Kickstarter or whatever, but I'm always the careful guy.

That seems to be alot for only one person. I hope it went well.
That's about 3 weeks. Don't forget he's working fulltime on it, he's being paid by me, not doing this in his spare time.

Can you share some up to date sketches/renderings at least? Just for a discussion base here. ;)
How could I create renderings when I didn't get anything new yet? ;)

Good to hear about the progress.

If you don't mind me asking how will you know if there's enough interest without taking preorders?

As I remember you saying preorders weren't going to happen again.
We will have preorders, but not before everything is 100% ready for production run :)

Well, I can produce prototypes, but I cannot afford to produce 1000 units upfront.

No biggie though, if we can't get enough interest here at the boards, then we can use Kickstarter, etc.

My guess is: Once I got working prototypes and can do some nice videos, it shouldn't be a big deal.

As mentioned, I'm pretty positive it will work out, either with preorders or Kickstarter or whatever, but I'm always the careful guy.
Kickstarter could bring attention but it's ALOT of additional work. I know that many "good looking" KS campaigns are made by separate companies that are specialized onto exactly that. If the Pyra can be done without KS it would be better I guess.

How could I create renderings when I didn't get anything new yet? ;)
I thought they already sent the new case designs since some time. (mentioned last update or so)

happy new year all 'ya!

this *will* be the awesome year of the pyra, wooohooo!

:)

Pyra in 2015. Let me express my emotions with an image:

large.jpg

I feel the pyra would work well in a ks type deal. Due to the simple fact niche devices seem to survive there. Produce a working prototype with a few videos and it seems to just explode,Hell the hemmingway was funded abd surpassed its goals..thats a device thats just an E ink mechanical keyboard typewriter, ans its gonna sell for 500USD.

You want to be impressive get minecraft ported to it, and working out of the box, if minecraft CAN work on the pandora. It will happily run on the Pyra. The pyra isnt an empty bag of promises. Its a device with amazing potential. :) happy new year folks, 2015 shows promise.

it'll be actually produced or not
4 Billion Years of Evolution and then it stops ? No, please no !

So no risk, let's do it Pre-Paid, when priced like the Pandora, I'll take two.

998 and counting ;-)

Update: SageX wrote a the same time: 997 and counting  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back