Welcome to the decisive year

Happy New Year, 2015 will be the year of the dragon(box pyra) ;)

Happy New Year Ed!  Count on one pre order from me!   And spreading the word to try to drum up more pre orders!

That will need about 100 workhours
You say 100 workhours, I hear 4 days. Who needs sleep? ;) But seriously, all good news for a good new year. :)

As mentioned, I'm pretty positive it will work out, either with preorders or Kickstarter or whatever, but I'm always the careful guy.
My only (eternal) concern is that someone'll tie you directly into the Pandora mess and try to derail the project. In fact, I can think of at least one person from the GP32x board who probably would purely out of spite.

My only (eternal) concern is that someone'll tie you directly into the Pandora mess and try to derail the project. In fact, I can think of at least one person from the GP32x board who probably would purely out of spite.
thats my concern too - wonder if you could eg get ks funds blocked or impounded in some US jurisdiction, ks being  US based... 

It takes more than an internet troll to impound funds in the US. Making complaints to KS to drop the project sounds more likely to work though.
But I think if ED explains everything, including how he saved the Pandora project, how he learned from that experience and how different he has managed the Pyra project, there is no trolling strong enough to harm a crowdfunding campaign.

People on the internet tend to appreciate upfront honesty a lot.

We all know ED does not needs crowdfunding to make the Pyra happen, but I think it would help a lot in the publicity department.

Last edited by a moderator:
i say lets see how the first batch of 1k goes. plus our preorders wont be flooded with people who havent followed this project since 2008 and wont take our preorder spots. 1k shouldnt be difficult to sell quickly without KS

Happy New year ! 2015 will be the year of the Pyra.

I like the fact that you are making sure to have a prototype / everything ready before starting to take preorder. With any kind of pre-order or funding campain, it will definitely help to have a realistic shipping date.

Concerning funding/preorder, I really don't know what makes the most sense. I imagine the number of 1000 units you mentionned is the minimum production you can realistic do.

I really have no idea how many people in the community are ready to buy it. You could do a preorder without Kickstarter(...), sort of what happened with the Pandora. I have the impression a news website will more easily write about Kickstarter projects. On the other hand running the Kickstarter cost mone (fees) and is also very very time consumming (might even need someone to run it).

I noticed you have a Pyra newsletter. Maybe it is worth asking all the people interested in the Pyra to subscribe. Also before the preorder start you probably want to push subscription by sending preorder info to people subscribed to the mailing-list fist.  The idea is simply to get an idea of the interested by the number of subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advantage to KS - huge exposure to a very wide audience.  Essentially a mass advertising campaign.  Very likely to be picked up by news coverage.  Could go viral.

Disadvantage to KS - very expensive as they take their cut off the top.  This product out prices a lot of the KS audience.

How about rolling 1000 (or less?  maybe 500?) as a 'community beta test' then run a 3-4 month KS campaign while the community helps test the OS and port over a bunch of the PNDs to whatever we're using on the new platform?  This could cut down the return rate dramatically once the product goes more widespread.

Just thoughts.

Back