We can get 1Ghz unit but still no cellphone!?! AHH!

You're not just paying for a chip but a lot of extra testing/certification. There's a reason why non-subsidized cell phones are so much more expensive than MIDs and what have you in similar form factors.
I wonder if that's another way that knockoff import phones cut costs: skip the certification process and risk shipping a cancer brick.

I bought a 3G USB internet dongle to use the pandora as a cellphone by using linphone and other VOIP/communication software.

I think adding the cell+data functionality straight into the pandora would be a good idea but I doubt this feature would really appeal to a lot of users to be worth the extra cost.

hypothetically as far as space is concerned, if we could route a trace or connector + flat cable to one side and a special shortened battery the cell+data module could be fitted in the battery compartment at the end of the shortened battery.

I'm sure users wanting the functionality would not mind going down from 10+ to 8 hours of use, its still a better deal than a lot of smart phones.

anyway, I'm gonna have to hack something because the Pandora wont fit in my pockets with the USB dongle sticking out of the back.

I'm gonna have to hack something because the Pandora wont fit in my pockets with the USB dongle sticking out of the back.

THIS! is why I support some kind of fancy expansion system.

Sorry for the derail etc, :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 3G USB internet dongle to use the pandora as a cellphone by using linphone and other VOIP/communication software.

I think adding the cell+data functionality straight into the pandora would be a good idea but I doubt this feature would really appeal to a lot of users to be worth the extra cost.

hypothetically as far as space is concerned, if we could route a trace or connector + flat cable to one side and a special shortened battery the cell+data module could be fitted in the battery compartment at the end of the shortened battery.

I'm sure users wanting the functionality would not mind going down from 10+ to 8 hours of use, its still a better deal than a lot of smart phones.

anyway, I'm gonna have to hack something because the Pandora wont fit in my pockets with the USB dongle sticking out of the back.

Do you know the dimensions of the PCB in the 3g modem? I'd be looking at whether you could fit it under the headphone socket, though in order to do that you would have to cut away part of plastic that supports the socket...

- Neelix

I do not want any mobilephone-chip in it,

only two more buttons on the right side for proper cps-fighting.

Do you know the dimensions of the PCB in the 3g modem? I'd be looking at whether you could fit it under the headphone socket, though in order to do that you would have to cut away part of plastic that supports the socket...

- Neelix

I just received my new cell phone 2 days ago that supports tethering by USB, BlueTooth and WiFi (acting as a WiFi router AP).

so I dont need to "duct-tape" a 3D modem to the Pandora anymore, I could leave the cell in my pocket and surf the net with the Pandora.

(and triple the amount of RF radiation next to my crotch :p )

I got the model offered at $99, Blu Dash:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100017487%2050013663&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE

SoC is MT6513, its unlocked, easily rootable and got a very decent battery life for a cheap cellphone.

the dual SIM lets you get one SIM for cell service from one provider and one SIM for (cheaper) data access from another provider whoever offers the best promotion at the time.

this one is pretty much only for North America, the GSM/UMTS radio doesn't do the 2100Mhz band.

but I'm sure you can find something similar in Europe.

Nice :)

Wireless tethering to a phone is my preferred connection method too, though my phone only supports bluetooth tethering.

- Neelix

phone pandora isnt really what i want either, i much rather have it continue its course as the most convenient gaming laptop in history.

Wireless tethering to a phone is my preferred connection method too, though my phone only supports bluetooth tethering.

- Neelix

Gentle I just had a lightbulb moment.

What if the case of the next pandora was made in such a way were as a snap on cellphone connection could be attached to the pandora so that it can make phonecalls and have wireless internet without a wifi connection? It would be like a wireless dongle, but wouldn't dangle ackwardly outside the pandoras case.

This would make everyone happy! I hope something simple like this could be designed into the pandora 2. That would be awesome.

- Neelix

Gentle I just had a lightbulb moment.

What if the case of the next pandora was made in such a way were as a snap on cellphone connection could be attached to the pandora so that it can make phonecalls and have wireless internet without a wifi connection? It would be like a wireless dongle, but wouldn't dangle ackwardly outside the pandoras case.

This would make everyone happy! I hope something simple like this could be designed into the pandora 2. That would be awesome.
What you just suggested has been thought of many times before, and I still think it has potential - look at/post in 'Pandora 2 spam' sometime :)

Seriously? Why it wouldn't work:

1) Holding the Pandora up to your face to talk? lololol

2) Risk spitting on the screen like a Llama?

3) A phone is not just a simcard / antenna therefore there'd have to be more bulk in the unit and as others have stated a whole redesign would be needed

4) With all the OS updates you'd need to re enter your data every time which could prove to be a royal PITA.

5) I doubt many would want to pay for another data plan.

6) Yet another company to deal with for the cellphone parts.

7) There's a whole regularity check to deal with.

I suggest Tethering to your current phone with either Wifi / Bluetooth and using Android and Skype if you want to try it. I most certinately would use Skype for IM but for Audio. neh.

Or making a phone unit with:

• battery
  • mic
  • speaker
  • sim slot
  • 3G antenna
  • BT
  • low power processor
  • vibrate motor

It should be able to take incoming calls on its own, and be tethered to a pandora/etc to do outgoing calls, tethering, texting etc...

Alternatively, buy a $5 phone, and a pandora :)

Ok, so do to over whelming demand these guys decided to create a pandora with a faster chip and a bit more ram for a higher price.

What about a phone?

How much more expensive would a pandora be if you added some sort of cellphone chip to it?

I just can't fit two devices in my skinny jeans. Whatever I put in there needs to have some sort of phone!
Hi, what you are dreaming of exists:

www.openphoenux.org

Cost: 749 EUR complete with UMTS (3.75G). Otherwise very comparable specs to the Openpandora and the same 1GHz DM3730CBP. Is working fine, and has 3.x kernel support in mainstream. It is only lacking keyboard and game controllers. And there is collaboration with ED behind the scenes.

Somebody suggested to port some Openpandora software to it but there were no volunteers yet...

Ok, so do to over whelming demand these guys decided to create a pandora with a faster chip and a bit more ram for a higher price.

What about a phone?

How much more expensive would a pandora be if you added some sort of cellphone chip to it?

I just can't fit two devices in my skinny jeans. Whatever I put in there needs to have some sort of phone!
Hi, what you are dreaming of exists:

www.openphoenux.org

Cost: 749 EUR complete with UMTS (3.75G). Otherwise very comparable specs to the Openpandora and the same 1GHz DM3730CBP. Is working fine, and has 3.x kernel support in mainstream. It is only lacking keyboard and game controllers. And there is collaboration with ED behind the scenes.

Somebody suggested to port some Openpandora software to it but there were no volunteers yet...

Not having a keyboard and game controllers just makes it a phone....

I'm not just looking for another phone. I want a phone with joysticks.. I want a pandoraphone...

You're the first other person I've seen request this. Even before finding the Pandora I hated most all USB game controllers only having four buttons on the right side instead of the six buttons Nintendo 64 made me accustomed to. I can't imagine them getting in the way, having only four buttons is just so popular.

Also I hate phones.

You're the first other person I've seen request this. Even before finding the Pandora I hated most all USB game controllers only having four buttons on the right side instead of the six buttons Nintendo 64 made me accustomed to. I can't imagine them getting in the way, having only four buttons is just so popular.

Also I hate phones.
Glad, that i am not the only one.

The last and best GamePad that could fit your needs is the Saitek p2600 (not in production anymore).

USB-Cable, 6 Buttons on the right side, proper D-Pad (disc), 4 shoulder buttons, 2 good sticks, mappingswitch for D-Pad and left stick, etc...

I got 5 and a USB-Hub for them by now. :)

Here's a more solid reference for why I think having 3G support (or anything else that necessitates a cellphone baseband processor) would be an automatic deal-breaker:

The second operating system hiding in every mobile phone

TL;DR: Baseband processors are full CPUs (typically ARMv5) and run proprietary OSes to implement standards like GSM. Said OSes were written with the same 90s "trust whatever data the base station sends" mindset that produced Windows 95 and, as such, are ridiculously easy to exploit.

Back