We can get 1Ghz unit but still no cellphone!?! AHH!

ethereal

Ok, so do to over whelming demand these guys decided to create a pandora with a faster chip and a bit more ram for a higher price.

What about a phone?

How much more expensive would a pandora be if you added some sort of cellphone chip to it?

I just can't fit two devices in my skinny jeans. Whatever I put in there needs to have some sort of phone!

Ok, so do to over whelming demand these guys decided to create a pandora with a faster chip and a bit more ram for a higher price.
The price has nothing to do with the price of the new SoC - it costs about the same. And you can get the old SoC with the same amount of RAM without paying extra as well, that was needed because the smaller RAM chips are no longer being produced.

The price comes from the small number of produced units, it's a beta run after all. 150 vs. 4000 = huge price difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
There won't be a pandoraphone as the extra cost would be to high for the added benefit and only some people would be even interested. Maybe a phone with an icontrolpad would be the way to go for you?

If I could find 4,000 people to buy a 1ghz pandora with a phone would they make it?

Maybe I could start a kickstart campaign or something like that.

I don't know if YOU should start that, but if you can send a petition about 4000 Pandoraphoneorders with signage and full address to craig, I think he will jump on it ;)

The board needs a big redesign though for that imho and that would cost a small fortune again. Also you would have to wait longer than 2 months again just to complain that it is outdated in the end again.

Edit: I am probably using the word again too much ;)

One: It's not "overwhelming demand" that made this happen. It's "the old CPU will sooner or later go out of print, so they need to start experimenting with the replacement."

Two: A pandora is quite a bit thicker than most phones. Can you fit even one device in your pockets if that device is a pandora? I guess my point is, go forth and buy a bag or something. Or use a phone, and deal with its limitations.

Three: This is not the kind of thing you can just "add" to the current machine. You'd need to completely redesign the electronics, so we're in Whole New Product territory even if the result ends up fitting in the same case as the normal pandora. It's certainly not a quick process.

One: It's not "overwhelming demand" that made this happen. It's "the old CPU will sooner or later go out of print, so they need to start experimenting with the replacement."

Two: A pandora is quite a bit thicker than most phones. Can you fit even one device in your pockets if that device is a pandora? I guess my point is, go forth and buy a bag or something. Or use a phone, and deal with its limitations.

Three: This is not the kind of thing you can just "add" to the current machine. You'd need to completely redesign the electronics, so we're in Whole New Product territory even if the result ends up fitting in the same case as the normal pandora. It's certainly not a quick process.

The skinny jeans pocket has a carrying capacity of exactly one pandora. That's not the problem.

You can't wear skinny jeans AND carry around a European carryall. That would be gay.

Maybe you could just add a USB dongle and hide it inside the case... Although you can't make calls with one, as far as I know. (SMS work, though.)

And it's not exactly easy on the battery.

All considered, I see "skinny jeans" as a far bigger problem than being gay, really :)

An opensource phone has been tried and failed (openmoko). It had a lot of delays and in the end the final product was buggy as hell.

Nice concept though and I would gladly support an opensource phone with a keyboard.

If I could find 4,000 people to buy a 1ghz pandora with a phone would they make it?

I doubt it. Adding internal phone functionality is a pretty big modification. It's not just a board revision, it'd be challenging to even fit it on the board, and you'd probably want some kind of antenna..

Even if you showed a lot of demand for people willing to pay considerably more for a Pandora phone OPT would still need money upfront to do all this. And of course would need to actually want to do this themselves.

Maybe I could start a kickstart campaign or something like that.

Kickstart is for raising money for your own endeavors, not in the hopes of convincing someone else to use the money..

This needs to be posted again...

ngage.jpg

Blah phone in my Pandoras, I think not...

I don't even own an HD TV, but I think SD video output on a Pandora 2 would be a little backwards.

I assume you can bluetooth tether the pandora to a phone, as I am pairing this laptop (running XFCE+network manager) to my phone and posting this. I'm certainly hoping I can do that when I get my unit.

Back