We can get 1Ghz unit but still no cellphone!?! AHH!

I've used this feature ( bluetooth tethering ) before on my unit with limited success.. it used to work between my MB300 using "wifi tether for root users" in bluetooth mode but after awhile it caused my phone to reboot and I've since had no luck getting bluetooth tethering to work between my computer / pandora at all otherwise. I've since been using wifi tethering and or USB Host tethering with my Atrix as it "just works" with network manager as long as the Android ROM you're using supports either of the two features

All considered, I see "skinny jeans" as a far bigger problem than being gay, really :)
I find the two to be highly unlikely. Most of the gay guys I know have more fashion sense than that.

This needs to be posted again...

ngage.jpg

Blah phone in my Pandoras, I think not...
Taco talking - what happens when a cell phone company tries to design a game console.

Ethereal said:
The skinny jeans pocket has a carrying capacity of exactly one pandora. That's not the problem.
I even have problems to get my smartphone into my jeans pockets! How do you get a Pandora in there? I'd like to see that xD

a voip client for the Pandora would be awesome!!!! Does anyone know a Skype alternative?

I rather use an additional smartphone running Cyanogen Mod...

Really, people are paying $600 USD for an unlocked phone. There's really no reason to have to have a phone AND a gaming device when you can merge the two into one. Preferably I would consider the Pandora a gaming device first and a cellphone second.

In terms of additional materials adding a simcard chip and antenna would cost less than $10. The real trouble would be designing a new Pandora with this already implemented, and then mass producing it. However Ed is a very capable individual and I'm sure he can get this to work.

Just think of all the extra buyers Pandora would have if it had a cellphone. I'm sure the extra sales would more than pay for the additional costs involved.

Keep in mind that some of us consider cellphone functionality a deal-breaker.

I don't know about you but, IMSI catchers aside, I'm told laws here require any device with cellphone functionality to comply with e911 laws... and my understanding of those laws is that they require automatic (and usually silent) geolocation to within 300 meters within 6 minutes of the request. (and, here in North America, abuse of power by police and government agencies seems to be far too common in recent years.)

I don't know about you but, IMSI catchers aside, I'm told laws here require any device with cellphone functionality to comply with e911 laws... and my understanding of those laws is that they require automatic (and usually silent) geolocation to within 300 meters within 6 minutes of the request. (and, here in North America, abuse of power by police and government agencies seems to be far too common in recent years.)

So you don't carry "Any" cellphone on you?

For most users I hardly see why adding an additional feature would be a deal breaker. I'm sure there would be more than 10 new interested buyers for every 1 person who would reject this product because it has a phone.

So you don't carry "Any" cellphone on you?

For most users I hardly see why adding an additional feature would be a deal breaker. I'm sure there would be more than 10 new interested buyers for every 1 person who would reject this product because it has a phone.

That's correct. I don't mind paying for a cellular modem chip I'll never use if it's cheap... but if it's going to be included, I insist on a non-software-overridable physical cut-off switch hidden somewhere like the battery compartment which is at least as secure as a cellphone's "Airplane Mode" toggle. (I generally trust those things, since they could result in a lawsuit and a recall if they don't do what they say on the box.)

Oh, and being able to toggle it independently of WiFi and Bluetooth would really be nice. I trust software rfkill on those and do use them at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what about using a cellphone that was made way before these laws? My good ol' Nokia 6110 (~'98) is still in use - indestructible, good antenna and a long lasting LiPo battery ;)

Ok, This is a legit question.. Please excuse my ignorance...

If you have a phone capable of 3/4G wouldn't that require some sort of data plan with a cellphone company. Most likely a 3/4g pandora would have a sim card.

Wouldn't the only difference between a 3/4G pandora and a pandora with a cellphone would be in the software?

If you have a phone capable of 3/4G wouldn't that require some sort of data plan with a cellphone company. Most likely a 3/4g pandora would have a sim card.

Wouldn't the only difference between a 3/4G pandora and a pandora with a cellphone would be in the software?

3G, LTE, etc just refer to data capability. You currently need something else for the voice part of phones. You could have something data only (afaik you can get this in some tablets, laptops, and devices like PSVita) but that wouldn't really be a phone.

3G, LTE, etc just refer to data capability. You currently need something else for the voice part of phones. You could have something data only (afaik you can get this in some tablets, laptops, and devices like PSVita) but that wouldn't really be a phone.

I thought I remember reading this thing already has a built in microphone and speakers. (Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset)

Yes it would look wierd talking into it, but that's no big deal.

I thought I remember reading this thing already has a built in microphone and speakers. (Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset)

I'm not talking about microphones and speakers, I'm talking about physical baseband/radio GSM requirements that wouldn't necessarily be met with a data-only 3G chip.

You're not just paying for a chip but a lot of extra testing/certification. There's a reason why non-subsidized cell phones are so much more expensive than MIDs and what have you in similar form factors.

I'm not talking about microphones and speakers, I'm talking about physical baseband/radio GSM requirements that wouldn't necessarily be met with a data-only 3G chip.

You're not just paying for a chip but a lot of extra testing/certification. There's a reason why non-subsidized cell phones are so much more expensive than MIDs and what have you in similar form factors.

Thank you for your response.

I remember reading that it was possible to make calls to phones with the pandora over a wifi network, so I figure it wouldn't be a HUGE jump to turn this thing into a cellphone if it had 3/4g capabilities.

There are ways "around" certifications and 911 requirements. Just ship the product as a gaming device without any phone software, and let the user be responsible for adding the software to make this device a cellphone.

It's possible to make calls over any internet connection if you're using something like Skype or a more direct voice-over-IP service. But that's just pushing the phone part onto something else that manages the data to voice conversion. If you had data-only access you could still do something like this, and you could do it with similar roaming coverage that the voice-capabilities of a phone would get. But that would still not be the same as the device being able to do it directly and natively. Software doesn't make a device a cellphone.

The headline should be instead "We can get 1Ghz unit but still no TV Cable". :D

You know a simple Cable: wires, plastic, some (already bought) plugs...

It seems, no Company on this planet does Cables or want to do Cables so we really first should focus on this instead of *insert random HW improvements here*... ;)

Bottom line is this, the 1Ghz processor is just an easy swap of a processor.. adding Cell phone capability would require a complete board redesign, not to mention there may still not be enough room on the board to do it. This redesign would cost a ton of money to get implemented.. This alone is more of the issue than what opinions people have on having a cell phone in the Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back