Waterproofing Your Pandora/gp2x/favorite Gizmo

My old laptop is vodka proof, as in it still works for the most part :D Screw the fancy coatings!

From how the site reads it doesn't make it water proof, it makes it splash/weather proof...

I doubt it would protect it from the amount of water you would get in a shower... nor would it survive being dropped into a bucket of water or a pint :p

Paulo Becker said:
They claim they can waterproof any electronic device for a thousand bucks.
Just buy 3 spare Pandoras, support the devs. ;)
xafier said:
From how the site reads it doesn't make it water proof, it makes it splash/weather proof...

I doubt it would protect it from the amount of water you would get in a shower... nor would it survive being dropped into a bucket of water or a pint :p
That site is a bit mixed up. The heading says splashproof, the text says waterproof and it includes this wonderful sentence:QUOTE
Electronics casually exposed to water continue to work even after exposure.
So as long as you don't formally expose them to water you're ok?

But it sounds like they're pretty confident of their product (not):QUOTE
Individual results may vary due to differences in tests types and conditions. Northeast Maritime Institute is not responsible for damages resulting from the use of or reliance upon the information.
No thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
xafier said:
they might understate the reliability simply to avoid being sued. :/
xafier said:
(...)nor would it survive being dropped into a bucket of water(...)
they do just that in the video

I'd definately get this if it came cheap :) pandora in shower/bath would rock :)

lol, underwater gps orientation with the pandora on your scooba dive trips xD

they have videos of devices run while underwater, and a phone staying submerged for hours and still working.
id go for it if they can get it down to 50$ bucks, which is supposed to be possible.

3000-20-sj.1.jpg

This Otterbox will be a decent fit. Quite a bit of empty space in there though, I wouldn't want my Pandora bouncing around, there needs to be a custom fit case.

whiskthecat said:
This Otterbox will be a decent fit. Quite a bit of empty space in there though, I wouldn't want my Pandora bouncing around, there needs to be a custom fit case.
A bit of foam/sponge padding should do the trick, It`ll fill up the excess space and add extra protection.

Trooper

nim said:
lol, underwater gps orientation with the pandora on your scooba dive trips xD
I think that would require an entirely different approach, considering the water pressure of several atmospheres to which you'd be exposing the device.

trooper said:
A bit of foam/sponge padding should do the trick, It`ll fill up the excess space and add extra protection.

Trooper
And it has the added bonus that it'll soak up any water that might get in should the case not prove to be reliable. :lol:

Wow, some people refused to even look at the site before they posted, it's kinda funny actually, they mock the messenger but don't even understand the message . . .

Anyway, this would be great, just a little added security. psychological if nothing else.

xafier said:

If I'm understanding the site right it absolutely could stand being dropped into water. They seem to be taking the device apart, giving everything a coating and putting it back together. It's actually sort of a brilliant leap of thinking outside the box; the treatment doesn't stop the water going in, it just stops it causing a problem once it's in there.

Well, if it ended up cheap and easily available, I'd be game...

If - and this is of course, important - it worked without causing extra issues. Say, screen fogging and the like.

it works by coating the entirity of the device in a vacuum, except for ports, but this does not seem to be a problem.

Back