My Pandora Preview

A little bit late to the party, but ... Balzac2m, thanks for the review!
You did not mention anything about videos, so I assume you didn't try that functionality out.
I was hoping someone would tryout some of the more demanding videos to see how the Pandora performs.

borgqueenx said:
zazen666 said:
About the speakers...I wonder if that are at least as good as the DS? If so, I'll be satisified...
you mean DSi. DS speakers basicly SUCK...

DS speakers do suck! I've never heard the ones on the DSi, so I don't know how good are they. Is it comparable to the PSP? I was hoping the Pandora speakers would sound nicer than the PSP.

Last edited by a moderator:
OpenTheBox said:
A little bit late to the party, but ... Balzac2m, thanks for the review!
You did not mention anything about videos, so I assume you didn't try that functionality out.
I was hoping someone would tryout some of the more demanding videos to see how the Pandora performs.

Oh sorry, I didn't mention that. I watched one video where some Asian orchestra plays some classic music. I watched it using mplayer (with some gui, gmplayer perhaps?) which had some problems when the menu appeared, it flickered. This is just a software problem though. It looks nice, but to be honest, I can't say anything about the pandoras video performance basing it on an Nightly Build. If I understood ED right, video will be mostly handled by PMenu, the mplayer integration there is quite slick. This doesn't stop you from watching videos using any other ported video player software though. Only definitive thing I can say is: The pandora is capable of displaying moving pictures and they are looking nice. I don't even know which format the video was in. Sorry dudes.

No, I'n not zatzen.....

So, DSi speakers are better than DS? what have I been living with all this time...?

Well, I guess if I can live with DS speakers and not complain too much I shouldnt worry about pandora's. Still would like to know how they rack up to the DS(i) though........

The DSi's speakers seem to me to be pretty similar to those of the original DS, although they can go a little bit louder. :p You aren't missing much of a difference at all.

From what I've heard, the DS Lite had pretty bad speakers, but the original's were fine.

The DS Lite's were just a tad too quiet, alas. They're not "bad", though. Just not loud enough.

borgqueenx said:
Play a 320kb/sec mp3 file on a ds lite. Its very low volume and sounds horrible(go for metal not classical)
Play Metal music on any speakers and it sounds horrible. :p

borgqueenx said:
Prometheus said:
The DS Lite's were just a tad too quiet, alas. They're not "bad", though. Just not loud enough.
Play a 320kb/sec mp3 file on a ds lite. Its very low volume and sounds horrible(go for metal not classical)
I don't suppose by any chance you're referring to using the official MP3 player add-on, are you?

If so, the reason MP3s sound poor through the speakers, is nothing to do with the speakers - there's a reason the add-on has its own headphone jack. ;)

But I'm getting off-topic here. I have no desire to further de-rail this excellent and informative thread. :lol:

B-ZaR said:
skyeyemachine said:
Xian Long said:
WizardStan said:
:angry:
:eek:
:p
Speaking for myself, I've never really been drawn to pure heavy metal, but I've always liked techno and electronica, in addition to less peaky orchestral pieces, so I suppose I'm running into the same bandwidths some of the time. :p I hope the Pandora's speakers are up to the challenge, but I'm certainly planning to pack around a couple of earbuds or a headset 98% of the time regardless. I usually prefer to keep my sound to myself in public.

skyeyemachine said:
B-ZaR said:
skyeyemachine said:
Xian Long said:
WizardStan said:
:angry:
:eek:
:p
Speaking for myself, I've never really been drawn to pure heavy metal, but I've always liked techno and electronica, in addition to less peaky orchestral pieces, so I suppose I'm running into the same bandwidths some of the time. :p I hope the Pandora's speakers are up to the challenge, but I'm certainly planning to pack around a couple of earbuds or a headset 98% of the time regardless. I usually prefer to keep my sound to myself in public.

As a guy that often has to use the Speakerphone on my iPhone as the main source of music for a group of drunken fools (read: my friends), I totally +1 on wanting to know how the built in speakers sound at high volume!

EDIT: Oh crap I revived a dead thread. Sorry!

Vlynndar said:
It's only one day over a month old, so those that only get angry after a two month period won't.
I think a lot of us get somewhat angry after a two month period... :lol:

Back