Washed My Memory Card

SeX1eStAsaBa

Still Fresh
I had my memory stick pro duo in my pants and I washed my pants....then dried them before I realized they were in there.

Now when I put it in my card reader it says 0 bytes. Any way to get this functioning again????

Already tried reformatting but it says: disk can not be formatted.

It's cooked. If the water didn't kill it, the heat from the drier likely did it in. Face facts; your carelessness caused the senseless death of an innocent SD card.

Bastard murderer! :angry:

lol, man that sucks. I've washed soooo many things by accident, most recently a cell phone and an alligator wallet ;)

I hope it wasn't an 8 or 4gb card. That would really suck :(

lol... I washed about 8 grams of weed once. Tasted like washing-powder afterwards but didn't get all to wet because it was nicely bagged. my pants kinda reeked afterwards though.

And I have managed to wash a 50 euro bill before. It survived. Those little pieces of paper are surprisingly rugged.
Sorry for your memory stick though.

My mother once washed a £1000.00 gold necklace in the washing machine, and it really didn't like that at all. Actually, neither did the necklace! Or my mother for that matter. It was quite a shitty day for all three of them really!

lol...
has anyone ever washed their cat accidently? Almost happened to my roommate back in madrid. He noticed right on time, the machine was already about to start spinning... poor kitty.

TelcoLou said:
Face facts; your carelessness caused the senseless death of an innocent SD card.

Bastard murderer! :angry:
Its ok, it was only a Pro Duo card ;) (not sd)

you can get a Fake 4gb Pro duo on ebay now for about £25 - £26. Works just as good as the real thing (I have one)

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd think modern technology like these cards would hold up better.

I have an original Game Boy game that's gone through the wash SIX TIMES. It still works and never even lost its save data.

I think durability is going backwards.

Mr. Ksoft said:
I think durability is going backwards.
Things are designed now to break (Its true). In the olden days things were built to last... Think of it this way, you are a company that makes washing machines and you design them to last 20 years that means the average customer isnt going to need a new washing machine for 20 years. BUT build them to last 2 - 3 years and you will be getting alot more sales every 2 - 3 years with people having to replace them.. Notice how nearly everything dies a week or 2 after the Guarantee runs out??? ;)

Overall If you make something to last a long time, your not going to sell many of them overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Amen to that. My 360 just died today, slighty 3 months out of warranty.

Some flash memory cards are sturdy. They take heat, cold water, physical abuse, verbal abuse, you name it.

Have you tried to, you know, re-format it?

Also, washing it again might work. Seriously, there are all sorts of chemicals in those clothe-washing liquids. Just rinse the bugger with water and let it dry properly. Then try it.

Try putting it in the freezer as well, apparently that helps things come back to life..

I don't know how pro duo cards are produced, but if there was no electrical charge at the time of the washing I doubt that the card is destroyed for good (though static electricity is not your friend in that case and neither is the heat generated by the washing machine). I also doubt washing it would be incremental to the card health, but meh :D Drying it afterwards would probably have damaged it some though...
I would try cleaning the bugger with an alcohol-based cleaning agent and reformatting it. Don't get your hopes up too much though.

I have no idea how freezing could be of any help, in fact in would probably make things worse especially if there's condensation when you try to use the card again.

Well. I suppose you pretty much just lost one memory card.

Actually it was only my card reader on my computer that was bad. My Pro Duo is fine now. I used my brother's camera and it still has all the files on there, ahahaa. Thanks anyways....even though we know that no one helped, lol.

Back