Help Formatting\partitioning a memory stick pro duo in ubuntu

Solstar

Let's start by saying that i'm not 100% knowleageable of Ubuntu,but i know my way out.fact:

1)i have a memory stik pro duo,16 gb,that i used for psp gaming.i sold my psp and i need to get back the stuffi have on this stick

2)if i plug said mem stick on my win 7 pc,it can't be recognized.it never did,and its an original sony one.any other mem stick pro duo up to 8 gb,are recognized perfectly in win 7.

3)on my old psp,it was recognized perfectly

4)when i plug it in win 7,it asks only to format..and the only format-size i can get is 3 gb..thus losing the other 13 gb

5)i have a program that can recovery apps and stuff from mem cards,but of course if i use it on this stick,formatted on win,i will only recover 3gb of data,and i need the rest

so what i did was starting up an ubuntu session on vmware.in there,the memcard is recognized perfectly,but here's the deal:

basically,it states that there's a partition of 3 gb(created by win 7)and 13 gb unpartitioned.i tried to format the mem stick in ubuntu,and again it will only create 3 gb...

so i tried to delete the 3gb partition,and\or tried to create a bigger one with the remnant gb,and here's the error i get

what can i do?

Ubuntu 11.04-2013-05-19-15-54-10.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can partition stuff while one (or more) or those partitions are currently mounted.

Try:

Code:
sudo umount /media/disk

ok done ,but it still format at 3gb..and won't let me allow deleting that partition..

What hardware are you using to read it?

You could try getting a different memory card reader

its a normal ide memroy card reader that plugs on a dektop pc,on the case itself,not one of those external ones.and as i said it works perfectly with all other mem stick pro duo

EDIT:eek:k i used a sony official tool formatter...now i finally get 16 gb in ubuntu(still 3 gb in win7).is there a program for data recovery in ubuntu?

Last edited by a moderator:
when i launch testdisk \photorec it still says that the media is 3gb..and halfway during the scan it just stops by itself...

Back