Warning! Regarding Fw 4.0.2

circus_freak said:
Hi All,

I'm considering picking up a F200 (probably from gp2x.co.uk) does anybody know what version I am likely to get? If it's the new version that has compatibility problems then maybe I'll pick up a used F100 on eBay or something instead.

Thanks

Rich

I am wondering this also? except i will be getting mine from gp2xstore.com. Right now i am bidding on a f 200 on ebay, and i just dont think i am going to win it, and i would much rather just buy one from gp2xstore.com

thanks for any info
(damn i hate not having my gp2x) :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a "bricked" F-200 ( B ). I'm curious though, it sounds like the bricking only affected units with FW 4.0.2 pre-installed and therefore had the newer LCD. It only happened when users tried to flash FW 4.0.0 on these units and the cause was incompatible LCD drivers.

If the LCD driver is the only thing wrong can users silently update the firmware (ignore the screen cause it doesn't work but follow the firmware procedure anyway)?

Edit:
Sorry about that. Didn't fully read that it corrupted the u-boot.
For me I originally had F-200 FW 4.0.0. Flashed to 4.0.2 then 4.1.0 to get broken touch screen. Today I flashed the "fixed" 4.0.2 then the "fixed" 4.1.0 and the touch screen works again in the GP2X GUI. I'm not sure if I could have just flashed 4.1.0 by itself but I didn't try since another user reported trouble. So I can confirm that this order works on the original F-200 which I think should be designated F-200 ( A ).

noabody said:
I don't have a "bricked" F-200 ( B ). I'm curious though, it sounds like the bricking only affected units with FW 4.0.2 pre-installed and therefore had the newer LCD. It only happened when users tried to flash FW 4.0.0 on these units and the cause was incompatible LCD drivers.

If the LCD driver is the only thing wrong can users silently update the firmware (ignore the screen cause it doesn't work but follow the firmware procedure anyway)?
If you re-examine EvilDragon's posts you'll see that they've been unable to flash the units even using a jtag cable, so it's not a simple case of the lcd just not displaying anymore...

diewaldo said:
I updated the new 4.02 and then up to 4.10:

The good news is that you can calibrate in 4.10 now and that that the touchscreen is working in the menu etc. BUT in applications like SCUMMVM the previous error still exists.
This is very unfortunate. Apparently the "issue" they corrected was the fact that 4.0.2 completely broke the touchscreen on "old" f200s. So now the 4.0.0->4.0.2->4.1.0 upgrade path should work correctly, but the coordinate problem in homebrew applications still exists.

I now wonder if the bad behavior of the touchscreen is the same on both old and new f200s. If a better solution doesn't present itself in the next few days, I might open a topic soliciting some testing help in the next few days...

And since this discussion has strayed a bit from the original very important announcement, I'll post the following reminder...

*****DO NOT attempt to downgrade the firmware of an f200 that originally had 4.0.2 to 4.0.0. It will brick the unit and is currently unrecoverable...******

doc5avage said:
Coder_TimT said:
...but the coordinate problem in homebrew applications still exists...
Pitty all applications are homebrew.

Pitty most applications are homebrew. The touchscreen controls for the firmware provided menu, image viewer, music player, movie player, ebook reader and file browser all work fine...thus the differentiation.

But how is this possible? Don't they at least give a try to new models before putting them on the market? How comes nobody noticed that the touchscreen doesn't work and mame can't be run?

usul356 said:
kneehighspy said:
it's strange, my gp2x Loading screen (during power up) says that the firmware is V4.0.2

but my Settings / Info Screen shows the following:
VERSION 4.0.1

MODEL GP2X - F200

S/N 2008.04.23 - GP2XV001 - 00000347

so is my unit firmware version 4.0.2 or 4.0.1? i would say it's 4.0.1, but has the incorrect version number drawn on the loading graphic screen.

Mine is a new GP2x - F200 and it also showed the same thing. At bootup it showed version 4.0.2 but in the info screen it showed 4.0.1 I just upgraded the firmware to the new version 4.1.0 and it worked perfectly. I haven't tried any touchscreen games on it yet, but it seemed to fix issues I had using gnuboy, pcengine and some other emulators. So you should be able to upgrade fine kneehighspy and others with the same question.

yeah i upgraded my f200 a few days ago to 4.1.0 and it worked fine, no issues during the flash. the titles that didn't work (mame, payback and others) now work fine at 4.1.0.

hopefully we won't have these little issues when pandora releases and when newer units are manufactured at a later date.

i do enjoy my f200, as i've mentioned in other posts, i've finally got into programming on the lil bugger, slow going, but it's enjoyable.

circus_freak said:
Hi All,

I'm considering picking up a F200 (probably from gp2x.co.uk) does anybody know what version I am likely to get? If it's the new version that has compatibility problems then maybe I'll pick up a used F100 on eBay or something instead.

Thanks

Rich

probably already responded to, but you will more than likely get the same version as myself and some others have recieved, the f200 ( B ) version with 4.0.2 (or 4.1.0 already installed).

Mr PPV THC said:
circus_freak said:
Hi All,

Thanks

Rich

I am wondering this also? except i will be getting mine from gp2xstore.com. Right now i am bidding on a f 200 on ebay, and i just dont think i am going to win it, and i would much rather just buy one from gp2xstore.com

thanks for any info
(damn i hate not having my gp2x) :angry:

purchased my f200 new from gp2xstore, got the f200 ( B ) version with 4.0.2 (on screen during boot up) 4.0.1 on system info screen. but i'm at 4.1.0 (old version currently).

I think it's better to stop calling these new F-200s as F-200( B ).

It's a misnomer as the old F-200s (like mine) are also F-200( B )s, and they came with FW v4.0.0. I doubt there is even a F-200(A) or just plain F-200. It will only cause confusion if this goes on.

A more suitable name is needed. As these new units come with FW v4.0.2 and a new LCD screen, maybe something along those lines.

Note: For those wondering where this marking can be found, it is located in the sticker label at the back of the unit, not in the Info screen of the Settings menu.

Yes, we do. The last posts refering to this new versions.

Look here.

Regards,
Stephan

I'm just a newbie and I'm not sure I understand the discussion. It seems to me that some posts talk of a different problem or of different models of the console, so I'd like someone to tell me if I got things right. What What I understood is:

1] The new gp2x model (the one I could buy now) won't allow me to use the touchscreen or to run mame
2] The problem is in the new firmware, but if you try to change back to the old firmware the gp2x will never work again
3] The manufacturers are working to create a new firmware that doesn't have these problems and that is safe to install on the new models, but have not succeeded so far

Is this right? And what would you suggest me to do, maybe settle for a F100?

tezcatlipoca111 said:
I'm just a newbie and I'm not sure I understand the discussion. It seems to me that some posts talk of a different problem or of different models of the console, so I'd like someone to tell me if I got things right. What What I understood is:

1] The new gp2x model (the one I could buy now) won't allow me to use the touchscreen or to run mame
2] The problem is in the new firmware, but if you try to change back to the old firmware the gp2x will never work again
3] The manufacturers are working to create a new firmware that doesn't have these problems and that is safe to install on the new models, but have not succeeded so far

Is this right? And what would you suggest me to do, maybe settle for a F100?
You've got a pretty good grasp of the situation. I think the slightly corrected list would look like this...
  1. The new gp2x model(the one I could buy now) won't allow me to use the touchscreen in 3rd party apps. Upgrading to 4.1.0 is needed to run mame.
  2. The same as your #2
  3. I personally believe the issue GPH was correcting was the fact if you upgraded an "old" f200 to 4.0.2, the touchscreen stopped responding at all with the built in applications. They probably will not be correcting the firmware so that the touchscreen responds normally in 3rd party apps. We will most likely have to code around it the best we can...

Coder_TimT said:
Upgrading to 4.1.0 is needed to run mame.
So only 4.0.0 firmware will brick it, but I can flash it with 4.1.0 without risking anything?
If this is true then I suppose I can still buy a f200 and renounce to use the touchscreen until some solution is found. Thank you very much.

tezcatlipoca111 said:
Coder_TimT said:
Upgrading to 4.1.0 is needed to run mame.
So only 4.0.0 firmware will brick it, but I can flash it with 4.1.0 without risking anything?
If this is true then I suppose I can still buy a f200 and renounce to use the touchscreen until some solution is found. Thank you very much.

Well, there is always some risk when flashing the firmware with any device. The difference here is that FW v4.0.0 is not compatible at all with the "new" F-200, while FW v4.1.0 is. Just make sure to use fully-charged batteries or preferably an adapter, and do not turn off the unit while flashing or remove the SD card. Also, make sure to follow the instructions carefully.

The touchscreen does work for the built-in menu and stuff, but not for the homebrew games and apps as the coordinates got screwed. A workaround is needed. :(

Manjuu said:
The touchscreen does work for the built-in menu and stuff, but not for the homebrew games and apps as the coordinates got screwed. A workaround is needed. :(
And to that effect, I've posted a link to a little test app in the Homebrew section. No one else else has come forward with a solution or posted anything positive or negative about my workaround, so I'm going to try and verify it works for all F200s on 4.0.2+ and then release ommpc with the changes. Then, unless a future firmware update fixes the problem, I think everyone is going to have to recompile their apps with a similar fix in place...

Back