Warning! Regarding Fw 4.0.2

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
DON'T FLASH YOUR F200 WITH FW4.0.0 IF YOU RECEIVE A UNIT WITH 4.0.2 ON IT!

It will brick your unit - and it can't be reflashed with JTAG yet!
Apparently the hardware changed somehow and the old UBoot isn't working anymore!

I'll try to find out more about this, but DON'T FLASH IT!
(We know MAME isn't working correctly on this).

EvilDragon said:
DON'T FLASH YOUR F200 WITH FW4.0.0 IF YOU RECEIVE A UNIT WITH 4.0.2 ON IT!

It will brick your unit - and it can't be reflashed with JTAG yet!
Apparently the hardware changed somehow and the old UBoot isn't working anymore!

I'll try to find out more about this, but DON'T FLASH IT!
(We know MAME isn't working correctly on this).
Even more reason to move production to a unit you can control the hardware specs of! :D

I imagine it might be something SD-related, given that not much happens before U-Boot gets loaded. I don't think they could change the video much without everything stopping working, although I suppose they could have changed the main chip or something for a similar, cheaper, clone. It seems a strange change to have made, though, if it affects backwards compatibility with the old firmwares (and even a user-space program!).

Does this affect normal F200's which have been upgraded to 4.0.2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, don't think it's SD Related, as at least the UBoot sent via JTAG should start... if it was something with the SD Card, it should simply be impossible to access the SD Card.

It shouldn't affect old F200 updated to FW 4.0.2.

is this affecting new f200's with 4.0.2 already installed? i just received my f200 and it already had 4.0.2 installed and i can't get mame to work at all. some other emus don't work either, go to a black screen after launch and that's it.

i've tried many different sd cards, a 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and a 16gb and all do the exact same thing.

kinda depressing since the main reason for getting my f200 was to run mame (and to learn to program these handhelds and pass time till pandora releases and i can preorder one)

My friend's GP2X just arrived, and after finding out that SHIT DIDN'T FUCKING WORK (many games and apps) I told him to go back- good thing I saw this just before he did it.

I just recently bought a GP2X F200 and it has the 4.0.2 firmware on it. I didn't know it wasn't working right yet since I'm still waiting on my cheap SD card to come in. I just noticed today though that they have a firmware version 4.1.0 Anyone know if this would be safe to upgrade to and fix these problems peeps are having?

Well, just compared two F200 - the new ones have a much brighter LCD with less scanlines than the old one.

So I guess the old firmware won't work because of LCD drivers.

Gonna open them up and check it out.

EDIT: Old F200 have a different Testing-Points layout on the PCB than new F200. Definately a hardware change.

EDIT2: Yep, as suspected, the new F200 have a completely different LCD!
The old one is the same as the F100 MK2 (just with a touchscreen foil in front of it) and the new one is a LG Philips LCD LB035Q02 - V0.3. Completely different layout on the frontside of the PCB.

EvilDragon said:
The old one is the same as the F100 MK2 (just with a touchscreen foil in front of it) and the new one is a LG Philips LCD LB035Q02 - V0.3. Completely different layout on the frontside of the PCB.
And? is the new LCD at least better than the older one? ;) ( vertical Viewing ankle, Correct Gamma Curve)

GPH is a funny company, they found a creative way to show us, that the new F200 have a different LCD. It will never get boring with these guys! :lol:

Looks better to me, yes.
However, most touchscreen apps don't work anymore because of the new driver, eh?

kneehighspy said:
is this affecting new f200's with 4.0.2 already installed? i just received my f200 and it already had 4.0.2 installed and i can't get mame to work at all. some other emus don't work either, go to a black screen after launch and that's it.

i've tried many different sd cards, a 2gb, 4gb, 8gb and a 16gb and all do the exact same thing.

kinda depressing since the main reason for getting my f200 was to run mame (and to learn to program these handhelds and pass time till pandora releases and i can preorder one)
Yea Kneehighspy, this was my same reason for getting one. I honestly wish the company would post these NEW upgrades somewhere, I wouldve bought an older model ( even F100 ) from Ebay had I known Id have $400 of various lifeless plastic and metal sitting on my desk for 2 weeks.

Prior to bricking my unit; Movies, Music and Built-in games worked fine. Although I did notice something slightly troublesome... That fancy GUI that is in all the screenshots of Movies & Music with all the various play, stop, FF, Rwd, etc... was not on my unit when I played Movies or Music. Is that something that has to be added? If so it shouldnt be in default product screenshots! If not, Im guessing it is yet another problem... unless of course I just didnt know the magical button combination that brings the GUI up?
F200GUI5-19.jpg

Also of note, Zelda Classic worked, but was very very sluggish. For those of you out there looking for something to do with your unit. :(

I have been bugging Evil Dragon for at least one of those weeks now and am grateful he is working on the problem, despite having to sacrifice one of his own units to do so. Hopefully the situation (Firmware + Mame + Unbrick) can be sorted out before August 16th or Im lugging my laptop to GenCon. :( *sigh*

are these newer units the ones with the faster processors like mentioned on http://gp2x.co.uk/

i saw mention somewhere that the new default processor speeds was 275mhz instead of the standard 200mhz

the screen on my unit looks good, and what does work, works great. i've been enjoying alot of the emus like the 2600, colem, gba, genesis, intellivision and snes emus.

the payback demo doesn't work and i really wanted to try that, the vektor demo works fine though.

hey evildragon,

the model number on my new f200 is gpx-gp2x-f200(B), if you need anything checked or to compare to your two units you are checking, let me know.

hey evildragon,

the model number on my new f200 is gpx-gp2x-f200(B), if you need anything checked or to compare to your two units you are checking, let me know.

Yea, GPX-GP2X-F200 ( B ) is the model number of DOOM! Well, at least for us Mame interested folks, lol.

One of the other threads made mention of 4.1.0 Firmware? However there was no link, and until I get mine unbricked, thats not gonna do me much good anyhow. :(

Gunsmoke1084 said:

hey evildragon,

Yea, GPX-GP2X-F200 ( B ) is the model number of DOOM! Well, at least for us Mame interested folks, lol.

One of the other threads made mention of 4.1.0 Firmware? However there was no link, and until I get mine unbricked, thats not gonna do me much good anyhow. :(

i've downloaded 4.1.0, but i'm not gonna update my f200 just yet, gonna see what folk find out. i agree about the model number of DOOM ;) it's a shame 'bout mame, but i still have tons to do with my f200 without mame at the moment.

my cradle should be in tomorrow, and i'm gonna start trying to code on this little bugger, seems interesting. i just can't find alot of references about coding in assembler on the gp2x. i have really only coded in assembler, it's always been the easier way of coding for me, but i guess i may have to try something else.

if you need a copy of the latest firmware, drop me a note and i'll email you a copy of it.

This kind of shit just makes me all the more excited for the pandora. You assholes have an agenda! ;)

Back