Warning! Regarding Fw 4.0.2

Thanks for the pointercal info. I don't need any more, it shows that gph haven't swapped the coords using that method.

Unfortunately the fix script I gave didn't work as intended - I was in a rush and didn't test it first, SDL would have ignored the file it created. I've re-uploaded one that works, although I don't think it'll affect scumm as SDL 1.2.11 doesn't have the tslib modifications that I did for 1.2.9

I've uploaded the scripts and one of my test programs that will be affected by the xyswap, just copy the directory in this zip file onto your sd card,
fix_xyswap.gpe creates the swapped config file,
restore_xyswap.gpe creates an un-swapped config file, and
remove_xyswap.gpe deletes the config file.
ballfield is the test program - everything stops moving when you touch the screen apart from the cursor, and it only runs for a few seconds.

By default the gp2x doesn't have this config file so if it doesn't help it's fine to remove it - it's used to tweak the mouse smoothing functions (tslib) and if the file doesn't exsist my version of sdl defaults to the values in the un-swapped config file.

paeryn said:
Thanks for the pointercal info. I don't need any more, it shows that gph haven't swapped the coords using that method.

Unfortunately the fix script I gave didn't work as intended - I was in a rush and didn't test it first, SDL would have ignored the file it created. I've re-uploaded one that works, although I don't think it'll affect scumm as SDL 1.2.11 doesn't have the tslib modifications that I did for 1.2.9

I've uploaded the scripts and one of my test programs that will be affected by the xyswap, just copy the directory in this zip file onto your sd card,
fix_xyswap.gpe creates the swapped config file,
restore_xyswap.gpe creates an un-swapped config file, and
remove_xyswap.gpe deletes the config file.
ballfield is the test program - everything stops moving when you touch the screen apart from the cursor, and it only runs for a few seconds.

By default the gp2x doesn't have this config file so if it doesn't help it's fine to remove it - it's used to tweak the mouse smoothing functions (tslib) and if the file doesn't exsist my version of sdl defaults to the values in the un-swapped config file.

I couldn't get the ballfield test program to run. Errored with "Could not load balls". Looks to be a redball.png and blueball.png there...installed to /mnt/sd/ball_test.

Regardless, I applied the config changes and ran my test program...problem remained. Wasn't sure if the version of tslib I had would pick up that config file or not, so I hardcoded that as the default and still had issues.

Then I looked at the tslib code and as the config option name implies, it just does a swap of the x and y coordinates. One of the first things I had done testing was swapping the x,y coordinates in my code...which also failed. I'm pretty sure it's not as simple as them just being swapped. As I mentioned it appears that the the coordinates are mirrored along the bottom-left to top-right diagonal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Coder_TimT mentioned earlier, my F-200 is also labelled (on the sticker at the back) as GPX-GP2X-F-200( B ), but I got mine from the early (possibly the first) batch of F-200s. It obviously came with FW v4.0.0. This makes me wonder why quite a number of people are referring to these new units as F-200( B ). <_<

EDIT:
It may be worth mentioning that in the Info screen in the Settings of the default menu shows these information:
VERSION 4.0.0
MODEL GP2X - F200
S/N 2007.10.25 - GP2XV001 - 00000057

I really do hope that this problem can be sorted out and not affect the support for touchscreen apps. :(

Coder_TimT said:
Okay, I'll throw something else into the mix... My GP2X has the ( B ) designation on the back, but came with firmware 4.0.0 and I'm assuming the old lcd...

Regardless, if sbock is having the same symptoms after upgrading an "old" f200 to 4.1.0, then it at least looks like they screwed up the new firmware for everybody and not just certain hardware. At least they're not discriminating. <_<

Question for sbock. Did you attempt to go back down to 4.0.0 and were you able to? I'm assuming I'll be able to since I had 4.0.0 originally. Once I get my batteries charged up, I guess I'll "man up" and upgrade to do some testing...

In the meantime, here is a little test app if anyone wants to run it. It prints out the x,y coordinates at the top of the screen. It's using paeryn's tslib stripped out of the SDL project. Doesn't really accomplish anything...it will just verify the coordinates are indeed simply swapped when read by tslib...

http://ommpc.googlecode.com/files/testcoord.zip

As posted over there in the 4.10 thread I have the same GP2X F200 that was shipped with 4.00. I had no problems with flashing back from 4.10 to 4.00. As I am with 4.00 now because the touchscreen didn't work correct after updating 4.00 -> 4.02 -> 4.10 I can't test at the moment.

Also updating from 4.00 straight up to 4.10 is not useful. I experienced that the system has slowdowns. PicoDrive is pretty much unplayable, the mp3 player also stutters.

So I think that 4.10 is pretty much a bug fix for the units shipped with 4.02 and the revised touch screen who are not able to downgrade to 4.00

From my point of view all other F200 users should stay with 4.00, or as one might say: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Manjuu said:
Like Coder_TimT mentioned earlier, my F-200 is also labelled (on the sticker at the back) as GPX-GP2X-F-200( B ), but I got mine from the early (possibly the first) batch of F-200s. It obviously came with FW v4.0.0. This makes me wonder why quite a number of people are referring to these new units as F-200( B ). <_<

EDIT:
It may be worth mentioning that in the Info screen in the Settings of the default menu shows these information:
VERSION 4.0.0
MODEL GP2X - F200

I really do hope that this problem can be sorted out and not affect the support for touchscreen apps. :(
My F200 says:

Version 4.0.0
Model GP2X - F200
S/N 2007.10.25 - GP2XV001 - 00000169

Coder_TimT said:
Question for sbock. Did you attempt to go back down to 4.0.0 and were you able to? I'm assuming I'll be able to since I had 4.0.0 originally.
Yes, it's no problem for me to go back to 4.0.0 and the touchscreen is working again.

Regards,
Stephan

I never had to pay to Beta Test before, what emmense amounts of fun!

*stares at the white plastic brick*

Gunsmoke1084 said:
I never had to pay to Beta Test before, what emmense amounts of fun!

*stares at the white plastic brick*
Never bought Windows ME or Vista then? :p

Buying a GPH product certainly isn't plain sailing, that's for sure.

Manjuu said:

EDIT:
VERSION 4.0.0
MODEL GP2X - F200

i received my new f200 week before last and my unit is the f200 ( B ) version.

diewaldo said:
Manjuu said:

EDIT:
VERSION 4.0.0
MODEL GP2X - F200

My F200 says:

Version 4.0.0
Model GP2X - F200
S/N 2007.10.25 - GP2XV001 - 00000169

here's what my info is, i received my unit almost 2 weeks ago:

Version 4.0.1
Model GP2X - F200
S/N 2008.04.23 - GP2XV001 - 00000347

i haven't done any firmware changes on my unit (yet)

EvilDragon said:
So the new ones can only be identified if they came factory shipped with 4.0.2...

it's strange, my gp2x Loading screen (during power up) says that the firmware is V4.0.2

but my Settings / Info Screen shows the following:

VERSION 4.0.1

MODEL GP2X - F200

so is my unit firmware version 4.0.2 or 4.0.1? i would say it's 4.0.1, but has the incorrect version number drawn on the loading graphic screen.

Okay, let's see if someone can do something better with the following information. I've managed to get the touchscreen to respond somewhat normally in my test app and in ommpc with the following bit of code...

CODE
curX = 320 * (240-samp.y) / 240;
curY = 240 * (320-samp.x) / 320;

Now, let's examine it a bit. I was wrong in my assumption that the point were mirrored along the diagonal. And indeed as it has been reported, the x and y axis are indeed swapped. But there's more to it that just that....
  1. You notice I'm putting samp.y into curX and samp.x into curY. That is obviously our coordinate swap.
  2. The coordinates for both axises are reversed. The bottom right corner reads as 0,0. Thus the reason for the (240-samp.y) and (320-samp.x).
  3. Even though the coordinates are swapped, I don't think they are intended to be. Because once we do the swap the x-axis only has a resolution of 240 and the y-axis has 320. Obviously not actual resolution, but those are the bounds imposed. Thus multiplication of 320 and division by 240 for curX and the opposite for curY...to bring the Y axis within bounds of 240 and to extend the X axis up to 320.
So, given that, does anybody have a better way to fix this problem? Is there going to be a better way to fix this problem? Can anyone else who is playing with this confirm the above works for them in their app?

Let me know if I can be of any help in further testing.

I have a GPX-GP2X-F200( B ) purchased 02/25/08 from GP2Xstore and it had firmware 4.0.0 on it. I upgraded to 4.1.0 and am waiting for the touch screen fix.

I'm sorry everyone else is having so much trouble with their F200( B )'s that have the new screen and firmware 4.0.2 on them. They'll get it sorted out eventually. It bugs me that they upgraded the screen in the few months since I bought mine. The scanlines are pretty prominent on the older screen. At least I can flash back to 4.0.0 but I really like the improvements in 4.1.0.

kneehighspy said:
it's strange, my gp2x Loading screen (during power up) says that the firmware is V4.0.2

but my Settings / Info Screen shows the following:
VERSION 4.0.1

MODEL GP2X - F200

so is my unit firmware version 4.0.2 or 4.0.1? i would say it's 4.0.1, but has the incorrect version number drawn on the loading graphic screen.

Mine is a new GP2x - F200 and it also showed the same thing. At bootup it showed version 4.0.2 but in the info screen it showed 4.0.1 I just upgraded the firmware to the new version 4.1.0 and it worked perfectly. I haven't tried any touchscreen games on it yet, but it seemed to fix issues I had using gnuboy, pcengine and some other emulators. So you should be able to upgrade fine kneehighspy and others with the same question.

Hi All,

I'm considering picking up a F200 (probably from gp2x.co.uk) does anybody know what version I am likely to get? If it's the new version that has compatibility problems then maybe I'll pick up a used F100 on eBay or something instead.

Thanks

Rich

A note from the GPH homepage dated yesterday:

Firmware Updates are temporarily not available due to ongoing firmware software upgrade. We will be releasing a fix on 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 as soon as possible. GPH would like to apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

So there is still some hope left...

Regards,
Stephan

My guess is that I wasn't the only one complaining by E-Mail to the GPH support that something is fundamentally wrong with the firmware ... :huh:

The new versions 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 are out on GPH's homepage:

This version fixes the touch screen problem that existed with version 4.1.0. released on May 16th.

Link: http://www.gp2x.com/

Let's try it...

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
The new versions 4.0.2 and 4.1.0 are out on GPH's homepage:

This version fixes the touch screen problem that existed with version 4.1.0. released on May 16th.
Link: http://www.gp2x.com/

Let's try it...

Regards,
Stephan

Not looking good so far. Put the new 4.1.0 over my old 4.1.0 with no change is pointer behavior. I'm going to drop down to 4.0.2 and then go back to 4.1.0 now and see what changes that makes. Anyone having better luck than me?

I updated the new 4.02 and then up to 4.10:

The good news is that you can calibrate in 4.10 now and that that the touchscreen is working in the menu etc. BUT in applications like SCUMMVM the previous error still exists.

Back