Warning! Regarding Fw 4.0.2

Could someone with one of these new units with touchscreen problems post the contents of /etc/pointercal - it's only 7 numbers. I'll add code to do the swapping of x-y to SDL if it's needed.

Ta.

Do we know what - besides MAME - definitely does not work with the GP2X-F200 version? I wouldn't mind having a brighter screen as long as Temper, CPS2, GNGeo2X and Picodrive still worked... (and getting the SCUMM stuff working w/ touchscreen again would be a bonus!) :)

jimid2 said:
Do we know what - besides MAME - definitely does not work with the GP2X-F200 version? I wouldn't mind having a brighter screen as long as Temper, CPS2, GNGeo2X and Picodrive still worked... (and getting the SCUMM stuff working w/ touchscreen again would be a bonus!) :)

i haven't tried most of what you asked about, but i know that picodrive works ok with the new f200 and firmware 4.0.2

and yeah mame definitely doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
since i'm currently at 4.0.2 on my new f200. is there a way to backup the current installed firmware on my f200 to a file on my pc?

i would like to try updating my f200 ( B ) to 4.1.0 and see if it solves some compatibility issues, then downgrade back to 4.0.2.

Oh crap! This is bad... well, that means two versions of everything once again I guess... SNAFU!

Hi Gunsmoke1084, full firmware 4.0.2 is out in GP2X general web, we can try reflash with this and after upgrade to 4.1.0, i will try today after job.

kneehighspy said:
since i'm currently at 4.0.2 on my new f200. is there a way to backup the current installed firmware on my f200 to a file on my pc?

i would like to try updating my f200 ( B ) to 4.1.0 and see if it solves some compatibility issues, then downgrade back to 4.0.2.
I just did the update (new F200, shipped with 4.0.2), and now everything is working on 4.1.0 (MAME, Vice, Super Maryo Chronicles, Payback (demo+full), etc.) Very pleased with the unit now. It should solve all your black-screen problems with apps. ..don't know of any way to back up the 4.0.2 firmware though. Now I'm updated though, I wouldn't want to. None of the important stuff worked. :D

That damn change in LCD hardware in the F200's threw me for a loop though. I thought, for my first week of ownership, that GPH Quality Assurance must be really crap if half the software doesn't work and the x/y axes on the touch-screen were swapped. ..guess I just have to wait out fixes for all the touch-screen programs out there. (I wanna play ScummVM properly.)

TKO said:
I thought, for my first week of ownership, that GPH Quality Assurance must be really crap if half the software doesn't work and the x/y axes on the touch-screen were swapped
Oh, you got that part right :D

Can you send paeryn the info he asked for previously? Not sure if anyone's done it yet :)

Kiname said:
Hi Gunsmoke1084, full firmware 4.0.2 is out in GP2X general web, we can try reflash with this and after upgrade to 4.1.0, i will try today after job.

DON'T WORK :angry:

Gunsmoke1084 said:
Prior to bricking my unit; Movies, Music and Built-in games worked fine. Although I did notice something slightly troublesome... That fancy GUI that is in all the screenshots of Movies & Music with all the various play, stop, FF, Rwd, etc... was not on my unit when I played Movies or Music. Is that something that has to be added? If so it shouldnt be in default product screenshots! If not, Im guessing it is yet another problem... unless of course I just didnt know the magical button combination that brings the GUI up?
F200GUI5-19.jpg

I think it's the A key, but try pressing them all 1 second apart and see what they do. Some exit, some bring up controls...if you use the exit option on the HUD, it bookmarks your position.

I've uploaded a small script that can be run from the games menu that copies the pointercal file onto the sd card, that should make it easier for someone to either post or pm me a copy.
Just incase, if someone wants to try what could be a quickfix there are two other scripts, one creates a file on the gp2x that could fix this, the other deletes it incase it doesn't work.

Links deleted
Paeryn.

TKO said:
kneehighspy said:

I just did the update (new F200, shipped with 4.0.2), and now everything is working on 4.1.0 (MAME, Vice, Super Maryo Chronicles, Payback (demo+full), etc.) Very pleased with the unit now. It should solve all your black-screen problems with apps. ..don't know of any way to back up the 4.0.2 firmware though. Now I'm updated though, I wouldn't want to. None of the important stuff worked. :D

That damn change in LCD hardware in the F200's threw me for a loop though. I thought, for my first week of ownership, that GPH Quality Assurance must be really crap if half the software doesn't work and the x/y axes on the touch-screen were swapped. ..guess I just have to wait out fixes for all the touch-screen programs out there. (I wanna play ScummVM properly.)

the updated firmware sounds promising, i just recieved my cradle today. i would like to be able to downgrade my firmware if possible before updating to 4.1.0, but if the update solves alot of my issues also, like it seems to have solved most of yours, then upgrading will be worth it.

guess i'll bite the bullent and update, i would really like to get mame up and running.

Hi paeryn!

I own a F-200 (not "B") with a shipped firmware 4.0.0. I now changed to 4.1.0 and have the same problems as the guys with 4.0.2.
I tried your fix (with Scumm) but the problem remains.
Here is the pointercal info:

5532 0 -932688 0 -4129 16099647 65536

I don't know if the problems are related with the ones in this thread and if this info is any help for you.

I also noticed a strange behaviour in Boomshine2x (Always mouseclicks).

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
Hi paeryn!

I own a F-200 (not "B") with a shipped firmware 4.0.0. I now changed to 4.1.0 and have the same problems as the guys with 4.0.2.
I tried your fix (with Scumm) but the problem remains.
Here is the pointercal info:

5532 0 -932688 0 -4129 16099647 65536

I don't know if the problems are related with the ones in this thread and if this info is any help for you.

I also noticed a strange behaviour in Boomshine2x (Always mouseclicks).

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Stephan
Hello!

Have you updated to 4.02 first before you moved on to 4.10?

GPH website is telling you to do so ...

No, i don't. But when I understand the GPH webside right, this step is only necessary if you have a new Hardware (LCD) and problems with the touchscreen under 4.0.0.
My touchscreen is working under 4.0.0. As I said in my post I'm not quite sure that the both cases are related and have the same reason for the problems.

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
No, i don't. But when I understand the GPH webside right, this step is only necessary if you have a new Hardware (LCD) and problems with the touchscreen under 4.0.0.
My touchscreen is working under 4.0.0. As I said in my post I'm not quite sure that the both cases are related and have the same reason for the problems.

Regards,
Stephan
GPH say that the update to version 4.02 is mandatory:

Firmware 4.0.2 is a mandatory fix for FW 4.0.0. Some consoles with different LCD components have shown incompatibility with FW 4.0.0 and must be upgraded to FW 4.0.2 to fix this problem.

Note: In order to upgrade to the latest firmware 4.1.x or above, you must first upgrade to 4.0.2 before proceeding or the upgrade will not work correctly.

paeryn said:
I've uploaded a small script that can be run from the games menu that copies the pointercal file onto the sd card, that should make it easier for someone to either post or pm me a copy.
Just incase, if someone wants to try what could be a quickfix there are two other scripts, one creates a file on the gp2x that could fix this, the other deletes it incase it doesn't work.

Read pointercal
Fix x-y swap
Undo fix x-y swap

Paeryn.

Pointercal:

5507 0 -831476 0 -4218 16450692 65536

Okay, I'll throw something else into the mix... My GP2X has the ( B ) designation on the back, but came with firmware 4.0.0 and I'm assuming the old lcd...

Regardless, if sbock is having the same symptoms after upgrading an "old" f200 to 4.1.0, then it at least looks like they screwed up the new firmware for everybody and not just certain hardware. At least they're not discriminating. <_<

Question for sbock. Did you attempt to go back down to 4.0.0 and were you able to? I'm assuming I'll be able to since I had 4.0.0 originally. Once I get my batteries charged up, I guess I'll "man up" and upgrade to do some testing...

In the meantime, here is a little test app if anyone wants to run it. It prints out the x,y coordinates at the top of the screen. It's using paeryn's tslib stripped out of the SDL project. Doesn't really accomplish anything...it will just verify the coordinates are indeed simply swapped when read by tslib...

http://ommpc.googlecode.com/files/testcoord.zip

Ive read so many threads about bricking your gp2x while upgrading your firmware,i dont think i will
bother.my gp2x is working fine under firmware 4.0.0 and i think i will leave it that way.It doesn,t seem worth the trouble

Okay, in case it might be helpful for someone, here is what I experienced...

I first tried the recommended by GPH upgrade path...4.0.0->4.0.2->4.1.0. And as someone else has experienced, this pretty much just breaks the touchscreen for f200s with the old lcd. More precisely, it breaks it within the built in applications...touches generate errors like the following...

wm97xx: adc wrong sample, read 1000 got 2000 sample 883
wm97xx: adc wrong sample, read 2000 got 1000 sample 3536
wm97xx: adc wrong sample, read 2000 got 1000 sample 2795

However, my test app works, but the screwy coordinates are there.

So then I downgraded back to 4.0.0 and then went straight to 4.1.0. Using this method, the touchscreen works within the built in apps once again. So if there is anything useful in the full 4.0.2 update, users with the old lcd are just out of luck...

Anyway, screwy coordinates with 4.1.0 still. They seem to be mirrored along the bottom-left to top-right diagonal....

Also, don't think it matters anymore, but here is my pointercal file both for 4.0.0 and 4.1.0. Basically the same for both...
5568 0 -840192 0 -4316 16433312 65536
5574 0 -837642 0 -4284 16480272 65536

I'll continue investigating. Anybody that need something tested, just let me know here or by PM and I'll try to help out however I can...

Back