Icon Size

oneandoneis2

Website
www.oneandoneis2.org
I'm working on a skin or two, but before I risk actually shunting them onto my Gp2X: Do all the images have to be the exact same size as the existing images, or is the GP2X smart enough to work with slightly different sizes?

I don't mind if the answer's "It'll work but look crap", I just need to know the answer isn't "It won't work and it'll brick your unit too" ;)

oneandoneis2 posted on Dec 12 2005 at 04:38 PM said:
I'm working on a skin or two, but before I risk actually shunting them onto my Gp2X: Do all the images have to be the exact same size as the existing images, or is the GP2X smart enough to work with slightly different sizes?

I don't mind if the answer's "It'll work but look crap", I just need to know the answer isn't "It won't work and it'll brick your unit too" ;)
I haven't got any idea, but im sure it won't brick your gp2x ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
no offence....

but why must evryone reply when they have no clue....
i might have done the same but with some sort of possible info then...

It's just that i read so many post before i can get anything out of the topic...

Sometimes there's some fun in there but mostly just silly posts...

And by the way you cant even see Members post count in the topics!
So this cant be for making many posts... is it :s

To be fair, you didn't answer his question either.

No, the icons don't have to be EXACTLY the same size, they can vary a little. For instance, I used the Video Icon as a size template for the whole main menu. Just keep in mind that the GP2X aligns the icons by their top-left corner, so if you have an oversize icon, it won't be centered where it should be.

Playing with the icon size you can do things like this:

amanomockupGIF.gif

Linux_inside_mockup.gif

efegea posted on Dec 12 2005 at 06:58 PM said:
Playing with the icon size you can do things like this:

amanomockupGIF.gif

Linux_inside_mockup.gif

Thats Ace

I guess he changed the size of the transparent PNGs a bit. that camera icon for example should be 280(+/-) pixels wide and 150 pixels tall. But I don't have a clue how you get them split in 2 collumns instead of 2 rows. It's just my guess: This skin isn't working yet, is it? -Cause I don't see this happening without a little change in the gp2x firmware...

The skin is working, I've been using it on my gp until it bricked itself...I haven't released it because it's not finnished yet, you can make your icons at wathever size you want, but remember: the top left corner will be always on the same position. Use the skin previewer if you want to test it

I'm sorry english is not my native language and that's why I can't explain it better

EDIT: take a look at this: http://usuarios.arsystel.com/frangongue/sk..._by_efegea2.zip

It's the non-finnished-yet amano skin, look at the icons on imgmain

I see how this could work. Make a transparent icon for 'off' and for 'on', make the majority of the png transparent, but adjust the location of the actual icon on the screen... Makes sense to me, though it's more work than I'd like to put in... Lots of guess-and-check work, and there's a chance that the icons could get... I don't know, 'jumpy?' if you're not careful.

Awesome idea though.

my question is how you relocate the icons, i think i understand how but not 100%

once again i will ruin this topic sorry... :p

But im very happy with the result it might even make me start experiment with some skins before I get my gp....

Tank You.

efegea posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:57 PM said:
the top left corner will be always on the same position.

If you make it so that the original position is close enough to the edge that it runs off the side of the screen, and the pic so that it is exactly the screen width, it will center the image horizontally.

Edit: It might continue to shift it sideways until it hits the edge, idk. I tried to use a fullscreen image for the battery status, didn't get me far...

So now, HOW THE HELL DO WE CHANGE THE HEIGHT? Shouldn't this be scripted, GPH? :- P

Back