War in Ukraine

I agree this profound nuclear statement is being downplayed. It was in response to 'illegal' sanctions so presumably that means nuke the US or UK.

Last edited:
Ordo ab Chao.
Please remember that Vladimir Poetin might also be a YGL (Young Global Leader), as said by Klaus Schwab in 2017. And in that case, It is part of their strategy.

However, the maximum age to be in this "Young" G.L. is 40, more details in:

so it's a hmmm...

Post automatically merged:

At least all those hours you spent training in Fallout: New Vegas won't go to waste.
So have bottlecaps you can share with us? Did you already survey the state of the bunkers nearby? (cityhall, hospitals, subwaystations, those kind of bunkers, because small ones will not be public). Did you hoard rations, or learned how to steal them?
If all answers are no... then you did not learn from F:NV.

But kidding aside:

Gold price already went up. https://www.apmex.com/gold-price (pick the 3 months view, the drop might be a "it's high, lets sell for liquidity"). When people get nervous, this is normal behaviour.
Ukraine is the granary of the world. 1/4 of the world grains come from that region. Flower and Bread prices will go up. https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/grain (select 1 year, because grain only goes up when it's scarce, when it can not be harvested and the granaries are getting empty). I repeat: We do not see the effects yet. But we will soon.
For Europeans: Start buying iodine pills. Salt with iodine is ok to keep your iodine level, but not to replenish it if it has been depleted in your thyroid.
If you are near the conflict zone: Pack a bug-out-bag.
Prepare for offline internet. WikiMed - Offline Medical Encyclopedia (last update: Jan 27th 2022).
Learn to tune in to radio, which is not FM (for news from further away).

Not many jokes about the timezones and a city called DontAsk.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about their bunker busting weapons that they're ready to deploy. They have missiles that explode above ground, demolishing buildings and burying people in their basements. Nuclear detonation is still pretty much unthinkable.

I wonder if this period of time is the "we didn't know yet how bad it would become" period. The media is still optimistic it looks.
Probably the world wars weren't expected by most people either. And how do you even prepare for such a thing.
And how much would knowing your environment be as an advantage compared to packing your bags are go to somewhere safer?

Thinking about how ill prepared we are for that situation makes me hope even more it will not come to that.
Sadly it's already a reality for the people in Ukraine and I can't imagine how traumatic that must be for them.
The awful choices they have to make: am I going to leave, and who and what do I leave behind. And can you even call it a choice.
It's really heart breaking. There will be some of that going on for the Russians to obviously, we're all humans, but I guess I'm biased against the attacking forces.

Sadly enough it's a good reminder how lucky we are with the situation being so stable till now.

And in addition to the nuke discussion; there are two different kind of nukes: the well-known ones that explode in the sky with a big mushroom cloud (strategic nukes); and tactical nukes that explode on the the target itself.
Obviously you wouldn't want to have either dropped on you, but Putin was probably hinting to use the tactical ones. Which is only a minor relief, but who know it might help to know.

Being far from Europe my understanding of the situation is limited. With that in background, this is what I am thinking at present ?

Can assurance from NATO and Ukraine that 'Ukraine will not join NATO in future' would be enough to stop the war or that would be too much to give or that point is past and Russia didn't care anymore ?

Looking at the situation, why NATO is not assuring Russia that it will stop expanding to the east? Instead NATO is supplying Ukraine with weapons, fueling the war.

Last edited:
I doubt that would be enough at this stage, when he's already got hundreds of troops and tanks and things on foreign soil. Maybe earlier it might have been a bargaining post, I'm not sure, but traditionally at least nato didn't have a policy of expansion, it all happened because countries were worried that Russia would invade them, which is why Estonia at all that joined, just to the north of Belarus.

I've also not heard that NATO has given weapons to Ukraine, it's reinforced the countries surrounding that are members. On the other hand Britain and Germany now have sent small amounts of weapons to Ukraine, and now the EU as a bloc has stepped in.

What my biggest issue is how blindly and foolish German and European politicians have acted over the last 20 years.

We gave Russia power by making us dependent on their gas and oil.
We made China powerful by giving them our technology and making us completely economically dependent on them.

Sure, global wealth comes from global cooperation.
However what we did is simply foolish. Just to get the cheapest products we outsourced it all.

This is a great observation, and in Australia we've just come through the same kind of thing. We shipped all of our manufacturing offshore to china, as that helped some rich people get richer, and we forgot how to manufacture at home. As a result, we got flooded with low cost, low quality goods with extremely short lifespans, that the few remaining local manufactures could not compete with, and so they shut down too.

China also bought up all of our exports for a good price, to the point where we stopped looking for more diverse markets. Once they had enough control, they then attempted to pressure us into submission. It's called a 'soft power takeover', and it's going on all over the asia-pacific. What they didn't realise was the character of our people. We really hate bullies.

Ironically, when we kicked back, China banned many imports from oz, and we had to find new markets, turns out plenty of people needed our grain, meat and minerals. A large anti-Chinese-made sentiment ensued, and we were forced to kick-start manufacturing at home again. This has really taken off and unemployment is at a long time low, and the economy is going great.

Two days ago China said 'hey Aussie, if you want to meet half way, I'm sure we can resolve the issues'. What a coincidence. Russia and Ukraine are major exporters of grain and minerals. Unsurprisingly, we are not rushing to the negotiating table \o/.

I think regimes like China and Russia have for many generations enjoyed forced submission from their oppressed populace, and so have no understanding of the will of free people to fight to maintain what they have.

If some Euro countries do it tough through the re-adjustment, hold some hope that the final result is greater independance and economic benefit.

Being far from Europe my understanding of the situation is limited. With that in background, this is what I am thinking at present ?

Can assurance from NATO and Ukraine that 'Ukraine will not join NATO in future' would be enough to stop the war or that would be too much to give or that point is past and Russia didn't care anymore ?

Looking at the situation, why NATO is not assuring Russia that it will stop expanding to the east? Instead NATO is supplying Ukraine with weapons, fueling the war.
It would have been valid if Putin did a quick warning bite (look, we can get to your capital), then retired the Russian forces to the disputed territories/Separatists. And then, yes, we could talk. The way it now goes, the "no showing signs of weakness", is that there is no negotiating table yet.
Also remember Putin does not like the current Ukrainian government (instated by USA). It's favorable to the west, yes, but caused a dormant conflict that is now erupting.
The way Russia sees it, the west broke it's promise. That makes new promises quite empty (like with the Native Americans, when the white man talked with bifurcated tongues, like snakes, broken promises over broken promises).

This could also be a big diversion. End covid, start war. Keep implementing the world agenda to implement digital identification. Have a valid reason now for the upcoming planned cyberattacks.
Heard about Canada lately, for example?

Ukraine itself was pro-NATO and was already a NATO-friendly state, just not a full member. It couldn't become a full member as a country with disputed parts of their country can't join.
Possibly NATO also doesn't want to make this final step of making Ukraine a full member state as it's also a risk for the other NATO countries.
Russia doesn't want Ukraine to be a NATO (US-supported) state, but the EU doesn't want Ukraine to be under Russian control either. This buffer area goes both ways.
The EU does support Ukraine with defensive weapons, as they don't want Ukraine to be Russian. Unlike EU/NATO, Russia has actual forces in Ukraine.
For me that still sounds like Russia fueling the war, Ukraine is defending itself against a larger and more powerful military might.

This war hasn't started because Putin felt like it. It had to be planned. It's also naive to think Russia would stop for any reason. And why would Russia stop at Ukraine?
If their goal is to make Ukraine a Russian state, they'll have to continue. There is no incentive to stop now.
When Russia would stop and leave Ukraine, it would become armed to the teeth. It would probably build a large and strong army and it's citizens would mostly be anti-Russia.

So, that's why I think we've past that phase and giving guarantees that Ukraine won't join NATO won't cut it.

And why would Russia stop at Ukraine?
If their goal is to make Ukraine a Russian state, they'll have to continue. There is no incentive to stop now.
Russia cannot hold Ukraine, it will be like Afghanistan. This may be a message from Russia, 'stay neutral or be trampled'.
They have already given message, this is time for negotiation.
When Russia would stop and leave Ukraine, it would become armed to the teeth. It would probably build a large and strong army and it's citizens would mostly be anti-Russia.
Russia will not let that happen. Change of regime, in favor of Russia will be on negotiation table.

Russia will not let that happen. Change of regime, in favor of Russia will be on negotiation table.
That's what I mean: Russia won't stop until it takes control over Ukraine. Either Ukraine surrenders or it will be taken by force.
Both scenario's the result will be the same. The country will be occupied by Russian forces and Russian forces will be directly at the border of Poland and other NATO-member states.

Russia cannot hold Ukraine, it will be like Afghanistan. This may be a message from Russia, 'stay neutral or be trampled'.
They have already given message, this is time for negotiation.
It has to hold Ukraine else they just motivated a border country to hold a grudge and be really motivated to get rid of all Russian influences. That's the opposite of their goal.
So it's using force either way, I don't see a chance of 'peace'-talks. It's probably going to be: either you surrender and become Russia or we'll start destroying everything until you do surrender.

Russian occupations are nothing new and have never resulted in the button being pressed. Is this time different? Ie should we be scared?

The sanctions seem a bit unprecedented.

The west seems very unified against Russia. The EU supplying arms is new.

So there is reason to believe we are in uncharted territory so the situation is difficult to predict. A nuke dropping is not unforseeable.

But we also know that the USA can be bitterly vindictive. They got Saddam. They got Bin Laden. This gives me some assurance.

I don't really think there is much to worry about for those of you outside of Ukraine. Putin has over played his hand on the world stage, and you can see by the way he's acting franticly to try to maintain control of the situation. That's why we keep seeing the levels of threats escalating to lunacy for no reason.

Putin thought he was going to Blitzkrieg right through Ukraine and it was going to be over in a week. It's pretty evident that their initial invasion force was either significantly undertrained, launched without a complete plan for refueling and munitions, or don't want to fight in Ukraine. Or maybe all of these things. I've seen all the hidden streams of the conflict, the PoW's, conflict aftermaths, war tactics, etc. It seems to me that Russia is not quite the Red Curtain monster the world painted him to be post USSR. Remember, Putin isn't nation building and fighting an insurgency on the opposite side of the planet like the US did, he's driving over the boarder of a neighboring country with existing infrastructure.

Reality is that Russia is not capable of surviving global sanctions long term, especially if Swift ban leads to cutting off foreign exports for fuel. Which, the US has proven it's more than capable of being an exporter of globally. Their currency is decimated, their stock market is basically nullified, sanctions are working, and the scale of protests inside Russia are impressive. Putin is a cornered dog that doesn't know what to do other than snap out at anything to try to scare it's predators away. Unlucky for him, even who he thought was a close Ally the CPP, are seeing the writing on the wall and not directly siding with Russia. I'd say China is seeing what the future for themselves might hold if they try this very same act on Taiwan.

Ukraine will continue to weaponize itself, and it will get the military support it needs. They have been at war with Separatists since 2014. Once they get the weapons, AA/AT and perhaps logistics vehicles tanks/aircraft, there isn't a snowballs chance Russia will Occupy Ukraine without a 20 year war and Razing it to the ground. Russia can't afford a 20 year war like the US can.

I don't really think there is much to worry about for those of you outside of Ukraine. Putin has over played his hand on the world stage, and you can see by the way he's acting franticly to try to maintain control of the situation. That's why we keep seeing the levels of threats escalating to lunacy for no reason.
The equipment I see in the news looks like old military equipment. I would expect Russia to have more advanced equipment, like the 100k euro items the Russian snipers have in the separatist region.
So either this attack wasn't serious to begin with, he might have hoped it would get them there, or the rest is still coming. I hope he overplayed his cards and not that it's a strategy.

This is a great observation, and in Australia we've just come through the same kind of thing. We shipped all of our manufacturing offshore to china, as that helped some rich people get richer, and we forgot how to manufacture at home. As a result, we got flooded with low cost, low quality goods with extremely short lifespans, that the few remaining local manufactures could not compete with, and so they shut down too.

China also bought up all of our exports for a good price, to the point where we stopped looking for more diverse markets. Once they had enough control, they then attempted to pressure us into submission. It's called a 'soft power takeover', and it's going on all over the asia-pacific. What they didn't realise was the character of our people. We really hate bullies.

Ironically, when we kicked back, China banned many imports from oz, and we had to find new markets, turns out plenty of people needed our grain, meat and minerals. A large anti-Chinese-made sentiment ensued, and we were forced to kick-start manufacturing at home again. This has really taken off and unemployment is at a long time low, and the economy is going great.

Two days ago China said 'hey Aussie, if you want to meet half way, I'm sure we can resolve the issues'. What a coincidence. Russia and Ukraine are major exporters of grain and minerals. Unsurprisingly, we are not rushing to the negotiating table \o/.

I think regimes like China and Russia have for many generations enjoyed forced submission from their oppressed populace, and so have no understanding of the will of free people to fight to maintain what they have.

If some Euro countries do it tough through the re-adjustment, hold some hope that the final result is greater independance and economic benefit.

Unfortunately I have low hopes that Europeans/Germans will act/think that way.
In my opinion politicians here are marionettes of big companies and do not act too smart.
I don't say they are evil, but blind and too afraid to take any risk.

Let's face it the reason this war is interesting is because it's nearby and therefore poses risk. The humanitarian situation in Ukraine will probably never approach Syria. I agree that nuclear war seems unlikely but if it were zero I'd be retro gaming right now.
Post automatically merged:

what exactly?
That Russia does not want to get involved with the US and therefore will not engage NATO.

I believe they simply want to annex Ukraine at minimal cost. They could have completely wiped out Ukraine by now. They are going easy.

Putin is not insane he just doesn't want to lose a massive, bordering, Slavic state to the rival.

Last edited:
Back