"vimacs" Please Reconsider

Should the pandora suffer over a dispute between craigix,mali,and vimacs.?Should they resolve the pn

• Do we really need any more bumps on this ride

Votes: 30 100.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about my opinion, some will not even read it, but for those who will and especially hoping for "vimacs" to do it, here it goes.

I found this project about 3 months ago and it got me really interested for many reasons, gaming needs is at the botton actually...
So TODAY I could finally make the transfer and get a order number which I belive was a lot harder than to most of ya, mostly because I live in Brazil and I had to deal with loads of research on taxes and importing methods since there's no "national equivalent" as they call it.

Reading the forums every two or three days, whenever I have time to do it, I today got shocked about that overlocking topic and it scared me, really did. I just payed for the product which I very much look forward to have when it's finished and a very important person in OS developing just left.

So I just hope "vimacs" reconsider this and gets back, since his role, from what I've read, is pretty important. And many of you, not me unfortunaly, have lost some contact with a friend.

Thanks for your time,
Klarth

Kyosys said:
C'mon Craig, just be a man and apologize. He deserves it.
I fail to see how you can make that judgement considering your lack of impartiality.

Your constant nagging is becoming very, very tiresome. Every single post is on a massive downer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spirit said:
Kyosys said:
What do you mean? If it's legal to threaten to stop your volunteer work for someone you don't feel you want to work for free? Yes, that is legal.
No, I meant the other way around. Canceling an order because "you do not like that person".

I am not defending craigix but he did not threaten to cancel Vimacs' order. Vimacs said:

Vimacs said:
IF you relay where serious here consider my order canceled

And he had threatened to cancel Mali's order because Mali suggested being untruthful to OP in warranty issues, as he had done with Asus, not simply because he didn't like him.

Again, not defending him, I do think it was a severe overreation, but at least let's get the facts straight.

In all seriousness: Isn't it fairly unrespectful towards Vimacs to somehow imply that enough boot-licking will have him "come back"? I mean, I can see both Craigs and Vimacs side on this matter - Vimacs not comfortable with working together with EvilCraig (that is, the Craig that appears in times when he really shouldn't post), and Craig realizing that a quite nice part of the OS code actually was not under the control of the project. I quite understand Craigs reaction (which was, as far as I get, actually fairly civil - He noted that they might not be able to use the PND code and offered to handle Vimacs wish to cancel his order). I quite understand Vimacs frustration.

However, that is what it is - A disagreement between Craig and Vimacs. The problem for Vimacs is not that he hasn't gotten enough ego-stroking from loads of forum members - The problem for Vimacs is the attitude of Craig. The problem for Craig is not that he hasn't heard loads of forum members proclaim their love for Vimacs - The problem for Craig is that he realised Vimacs owned parts of code that could possibly be leveraged to substantially hinder OS development at the whim of Vimacs. Never mind if that would happen or not, this is at this moment a huge problem businesswise (a lot bigger than whether someone might or might not be honest with a warranty claim in some unspecified future).

Vimacs has done his part here in as good a way as he could whilst keeping self-respect - He has (literally) laid down his weapon by signing over the code to someone else, thus making sure that he is not any more a possible threat (bear with me: From the view of this conflict, that is, not that I claim that he ever was or would be). That means Vimacs has disarmed (or at least moved to Skeezix) Craigs leg of the disagreement. Now, the move on the other leg is Craigs (or somebody else at OPs) - There would need to be a re-establishment of trust between Vimacs and the project, somehow either convincing Vimacs that Craig will be able to keep EvilCraig under control, or that EvilCraig is not a problem in the great scheme of things. If this is to succeed, I'd imagine personal contact is appropriate, possibly apologies or explanations, possibly drinking of beers, slapping of backs and tellings of anecdotes.

However, a chorus of forumites going "Ooohh, Vimacs, come back" will not settle Vimacs disagreements with Craig. To imagine that it would is to imagine, somehow, that Vimacs staged a tantrum to get som fan attention, and I don't really see that in Vimacs.

Moxie said:
If this is to succeed, I'd imagine personal contact is appropriate, possibly apologies or explanations, possibly drinking of beers, slapping of backs and tellings of anecdotes.
internet_argument.png

EDIT: All we need is flying girlfriends :p

Attachments

• internet_argument.png
    internet_argument.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 92
wrath of khan said:
Spirit said:
You could start by explaining what happened because I have no idea what you are babbling about.
An arguement between craigix,one of the pandora developers and a dev and a forum poster resulted in the possible loss of the pnd software for games and sd card stuff etc.

.pnd is the work mostly of two of us; it will go on. Vimacs has donated his work to the project, in the event he backs out. I think, I hope, he will stay, but he has guaranteed pnd will survive. He's got too much moral fiber to do that to everyone.

jeff

skeezix said:
wrath of khan said:
Spirit said:
You could start by explaining what happened because I have no idea what you are babbling about.
An arguement between craigix,one of the pandora developers and a dev and a forum poster resulted in the possible loss of the pnd software for games and sd card stuff etc.

.pnd is the work mostly of two of us; it will go on. Vimacs has donated his work to the project, in the event he backs out. I think, I hope, he will stay, but he has guaranteed pnd will survive. He's got too much moral fiber to do that to everyone.

jeff
Well, that's good news Jeff! Hopefully within a couple of weeks, Vimacs can see his fruit being enjoyed in the community, and maybe spark his return! Thanks to all for the hard work! I think once everyone gets there Pandoras, all this foolishness can come to an end!

Chris

As for my first post in this forum all i can say is... Pleas stay Vimacs ^_^

urjaman said:
Moxie said:
If this is to succeed, I'd imagine personal contact is appropriate, possibly apologies or explanations, possibly drinking of beers, slapping of backs and tellings of anecdotes.

EDIT: All we need is flying girlfriends :p

chickenlive.jpg

or this software :p

You're right Trooper. At least this one seems calmer. I suspect it will sink quicker than the original due to the sheer weight of olive branches.

Thought about starting a new poll:

How annoying is it to have a topic close on you whilst you're half way reading it?
(and I was building a multi-post reply the likes of which God has never seen)
  • Very

I didn't read the posts in this thread.
However, my opinion is that Vimacs overreacted, like Craig did.
And as much as i dislike Craigs behaviour I dislike his.

I bet he has done an awful lot for the PND system and so on, however, I am equaly sure that we have enuff programmers here to take it further.
It is absolutely childish, to quit your job when you don't like your boss. This analogy is useless as it was no real job, however, can you imagine that all of Apples or Microsofts employees are have liked Billy Gates or Steve jobs?
Or all employees of the US-Government have liked Bush?

The libPND stuff looks cool, however, I am pretty sure I can live without.

I think in the end people just hope that someone important to the team sticks with the project and that both sides can shake hands (at least virtually) and agree to work together for the good of the device they've both spent so much time and energy on. No one wants there to be any ill will because that inevitably causes even more friction later which could hurt the community.

Creature XL said:
I bet he has done an awful lot for the PND system and so on, however, I am equaly sure that we have enuff programmers here to take it further.
It is absolutely childish, to quit your job when you don't like your boss. This analogy is useless as it was no real job, however, can you imagine that all of Apples or Microsofts employees are have liked Billy Gates or Steve jobs?

Vimacs stood up to help a community memember. This is such a great act, that he deserves very much respect for this. I hope he comes back, because we need everyone with enough courage to spot problems and make them obvious. Craigs bahaviour definitely has been a problem for the project and I at least will stay and help to solve it. Please come back, Vimacs. Pretty please.

Moxie said:
In all seriousness: Isn't it fairly unrespectful towards Vimacs to somehow imply that enough boot-licking will have him "come back"?
[ ... ]
If this is to succeed, I'd imagine personal contact is appropriate,
[ ... ]
However, a chorus of forumites going "Ooohh, Vimacs, come back" will not settle Vimacs disagreements with Craig.
[ ... ]

Agreed.

Too bad I missed the whole Thunderdome thread until it was closed, though I admit it was an exciting and an entertaining read.

IMO whether Vimacs continues to contribute to Pandora is completely up to him and interaction between other devs, everybody already knows that his contributions are valued so I don't think this is about a tap on the back.

Creature XL said:
I didn't read the posts in this thread.
However, my opinion is that Vimacs overreacted, like Craig did.
And as much as i dislike Craigs behaviour I dislike his.

you mad? Volunteer work is absolutely different. Craig has no right to treat volunteers like his customers, because he has nothing to expect from them. If you don't like the project you're volunteering for, be it because of whom it is making money, by all means you have every right to quit or threaten to.

KodeIn said:
WoD said:
These forums are a shitstorm of repetitive childish bollocks and wanton ignorance.

Wiki probably needs some TLC and 10,000 links to it, too.
You sir, are right.
How many times did we had "NDS emulator" or "Which SD card to buy" or another similar topics appearing?
Maybe some volunteers to update the wiki with latest OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED informations and a modo or two would help to clear out the forum.

It's my opinion, I'm nobody, but I love to give it even if no one asked :lol:

Unfortunately I think we are going to be expecting a bigger surge of new members posting topics that have been started over and over again, as well as new topics asking outrageous questions ("will it do PS3 and microwave ready meals?").

As we near release, I wonder whether preparation has been made for the potentially forum destroying influx of people new to the scene, with little to no knowledge of linux/open-source etc, no patience to search for answers before asking questions, all brought through by the publicity and excitement when the Pandora finally emerges? I hope it doesn't get that bad, but I have a dark thought in my brain that we could be facing a disaster of NDS/PSP forum proportions.

^I think we should discuss this in the next months and form a forum's team of people who are willing to take care of it. The maemo community had some "greeters" who volunteered to help n00bs after the N900 shitstorm happened. The key is to stay calm and helpful, that way it's easy to point n00bs in the right direction and isolate trolls at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back