Update VICE 3.2 SDL1 and SDL2

I had done some hack in SDL2 lately (for vcmi), so it may help here too. Also, did you try with LIBGL_STREAM=1 ? (or maybe you use it already, I haven't checked).

Reactions: rSl
I had done some hack in SDL2 lately (for vcmi), so it may help here too. Also, did you try with LIBGL_STREAM=1 ? (or maybe you use it already, I haven't checked).

Updated SDL2 and gl4es today, it seems i missed some updates.
I was already using LIBGL_BATCH, but tried the one you mention and i didn't notice any difference.

Need to do more test, but it seems more smooth than before.

The LIBGL_STREAM=1 will only helps for RGB5 texture (created as empty texture). If VICE create its backbuffer as RGB565, then the lib will (hopefully) create the texture as Stream texture (in that case, you'll see on the console something about a "Butterfly test " something created, with the size of the texture.

Tried something different, and changed LIBGL_FB=1 to LIBGL_FB=2, now it works 99%-100%, no more drops to 89% !!

Will upload next version as soon as possible, ;)

Really? that's strange. What LIBGL_FB=2 is create an FBO as main context, then, when glXSwapBuffer(...) occurs, blit the texture binded to the FBO to the main framebuffer (the same as with LIBGL_FB=1). Surprising that it's faster despite the additionnal blit of FBO->FB (unless there are some glReadPixels(...) involved, where then the FBO may be a bit faster).

thanks again, canseco and ptitseb!

latest sdl1 version runs nice as always, but when starting 3.2.0.1 sdl2 i get an stretched, orangeish colored screen. i had the same when trying 3.1.0.1 sdl2 and fixed it by updating the sgx driver to 4.03.00.02/1.6.16.3977 i think.
im on an 1ghz-rebirth, what sgx driver is the right one for me?

On gigahertz, the 4.10 is very good, but lack X11 support (not important for most PND now). 4.03 is the second best I think (and is the default driver for gigahertz model for some time now).

Forget to say that i did the test with 4.10 SGX drivers.

On a side note, just arrived from Explora Commodore 4 event, too tired but very happy, ;)

Forget to say that i did the test with 4.10 SGX drivers.

On a side note, just arrived from Explora Commodore 4 event, too tired but very happy, ;)

thanks a lot!
c64 oldskool happiness all over the planet!

Vice 3.2 SDL2 starts a black screen for me, I'm using a GHz Pandora and 4.10 driver.
SDL1 works great though :)

Here's part of the .out file I thought can be relevant.

LIBGL: FPE Fragment shader compile failed: Compile failed.
ERROR: 0:7: 'samplerStream' : undeclared identifier
ERROR: 0:7: '_gl4es_TexSampler_0' : syntax error;
ERROR: 0:10: 'textureStream' : no matching overloaded function found
ERROR: 0:10: 'assign' : cannot convert from 'float' to '4-component vector of float'
ERROR: 4 compilation errors. No code generated.

Looks like Texture streaming support on GLES2 backend is not functionnal. I'll fix that.
[doublepost=1527428293,1527424953][/doublepost]
Vice 3.2 SDL2 starts a black screen for me, I'm using a GHz Pandora and 4.10 driver.
SDL1 works great though :)

Here's part of the .out file I thought can be relevant.

LIBGL: FPE Fragment shader compile failed: Compile failed.
ERROR: 0:7: 'samplerStream' : undeclared identifier
ERROR: 0:7: '_gl4es_TexSampler_0' : syntax error;
ERROR: 0:10: 'textureStream' : no matching overloaded function found
ERROR: 0:10: 'assign' : cannot convert from 'float' to '4-component vector of float'
ERROR: 4 compilation errors. No code generated.
I don't reproduce your issue. I guess you have some custom settings somewhere, because I have no Streaming Texture with default one (so I cannot reliably test a fix)

Nevermind: I can reproduce using SDLPoP and LIBGL_STREAM=2 to force using Streaming Texture.

Last edited:
i think i had to nuke my appdata folder too to get it going here.
vice 3.2.0.1-sdl2 runs supersmooth, even the last now and then occuring "wandering line from button to top" is gone. so perfect sync now, woohoo! :)
when i switch to fastsid, even the uncensored demo i used to test, runs buttersmooth. awesome!

the only thing still a bit off: i get a single, static, "staircase line" from left to right in the middle of the screen when lots of gfx scrolls around horizontally, but with more static images its not noticeable at all.

Changelog

- Changed LIBGL_STREAM=1 to LIBGL_STREAM=2.
- Updated lib gl4es to 1.0.8.

Can't reproduce the bug, but hope this helps.

Hi Canseco,

I have used this yesterday, got my Jiffy dos setup but I can't get the ':' key to work. Obviously I checked that it works in a terminal window...

Thanks for your efforts on this BTW.

Hello all

It has been a very long time since my last visit here.

I hope you are all well in these difficult times.

Sorry to dig up this thread, but I have a keymap issue with the last version of VICE 3.2 SDL2 on my Pandora 1Ghz
Indeed, I cannot access the following characters: - (minus) : (colon) ? (question-mark).

And I am struggling to find/understand how to make it work.

Thank you for your help.

François

Back