Very Very Large Problem On My First Day With My Wiz!

zbishop

Still Fresh
Hey I recently received my Wiz in the mail. I have loved it since I first started playing around with it but now I am having some kind of problem with it (user error i hope). So everything was running fine and I was using the built-in storage to put some emulators and roms on the machine. I had many of them up and running as smooth as I would ever want them to but then something happened when I tried to play Ghosts N' Goblins on the MAME4ALL emulator. I had to turn off the device to exit the game because I did not know what the exit button was at the time and when I turned my Wiz back on and went to all the data that was currently on the machine...it was all gone. Now my computer won't recognize the Wiz when I plug it in through the usb. Any ideas? Or perhaps I should contact the manufacturer?

Thanks in advance for your time,

zbishop

The wiz internal storage is known to be very dodgy and gets corrupted easily. It is not recommended to fiddle around with it but to put all your data on an SD card. This bug is easilly fixable - just reflash your firmware. Go to OpenHandhelds, find the firmware section, download the latest one FOR THE WIZ and CAREFULLY follow the instructions on how to do it. Good luck and don't use the internal storage ;)

Oh ok I didn't realize the internal storage was this unstable. Thanks for the advice I'll see what I can do.

Alright so I ran your fix and it worked fine. But now another problem seems to have risen. This is probably something really simple and I am probably just being stupid about it but the problem is that MAME doesn't find any roms. The weird thing is that my internal storage (yes I know I shouldn't use it) MAME install will find the roms when I load it up. Any ideas on what could be wrong with this? The SD card is a SanDisk 8gb ultra.

Don't use the Wiz internal storage, because emulator and applications write files and configurations to the disk. If you turn off the console when is writting to NAND you can corrupt the filesystem. In a SD card is safe, because you can format it or fix the possible errors. If you can't find the roms in MAME, look in the folders /cfg or /frontend in MAME for a configuration file that specifies where the roms folder is.

I should have mentioned that only my SD card doesn't find roms when i run MAME and that my internal storage does find the roms. I will check out the cfg and frontend folders though to see if I can find out anything.

Thanks for the replies and help guys :D

The cfg and frontend folders didn't have anything in there. Anything else I should try? My other emulators work perfectly on my SD card except for Neo-Geo and MAME.

Back