Utorrent Or Azureus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustaballs

Do you think there would be a port of a torrent program soon after launch? That would be really nice for people who don't spend much time on home computers and could just do everything they needed to do right on their Pandora. It could also be used to help with bandwidth costs for sites they would offer Pandora programs and games.

So bam.

The original BitTorrent should be just after launch, if there is a Python environment. It should work even in the Gp2x without modification...

Azureus needs Java and X environment. I think that you have to wait a little for this. As far as I know, µTorrent is closed source and only for Windows.

juanvvc said:
The original BitTorrent should be just after launch, if there is a Python environment. It should work even in the Gp2x without modification...

Azureus needs Java and X environment. I think that you have to wait a little for this. As far as I know, µTorrent is closed source and only for Windows.
i use ktorrent in ubuntu, it's amazingly fast. i would imagine the same people who got ubuntu on the omap could get ktorrent to work...or we could recompile from source....either way...theres hundreds of torrent clients
working in linux so i imagine it wouldn't be a stretch to port one to the pandora

i wouldn't expect it at launch but seeing as we're all posting on this forum from some from of computer we can probably make due.

Last edited by a moderator:
bustaballs said:
It could also be used to help with bandwidth costs for sites they would offer Pandora programs and games.
Still waiting for a handheld device that will replace my desktop all together.

rtorrent is a great linux torrent client and its got a nice command line interface. :)

Ktorrent is feature packed cross-platform greatness and transmission does basic stuff pretty well. There are others, take your pick.

LordFu said:
I use Transmission on my N800. It could probably be ported without too much difficulty.
I was aboout to say the same thing. It works pretty good there, it would probably work even better on the Pandora.

I use deluge, it has a simple UI and like utorrent it's pretty light weight, plus it's opensource so it should be possible to port, right?

I'm quite satisfied with Bittornado. I have it running on my Linutop2 with several torrents simultaneously, so I assume it would run on the Pandora as well. It's Python-based, so porting should be rather trivial (assuming Python does get ported to the Pandora).

OTOH, I can state with almost certainty that I'll never use a torrent program on my Pandora.

Another +1 at bittornado, it does everything I want it to with a single exception, it's a bit of a pain to set it up to selectively download parts of a torrent.

But also not too likely to use it on pandora...

Spirit said:
rtorrent is a great linux torrent client and its got a nice command line interface. :)
Yes, but something of an oxymoron for people who don't find using a command-line interface very nice.

azmodean said:
Another +1 at bittornado, it does everything I want it to with a single exception, it's a bit of a pain to set it up to selectively download parts of a torrent.

But also not too likely to use it on pandora...
It's not as easy as Bitcomet, but it works for me once I found out.

I use Deluge personally (on Ubuntu). That said, most of the suggestions for clients are pretty excessive for the Pandora. I imagine the only rational use for bittorrent on the go is to quickly grab a tv episode, or various file w/ lots of seeders at a high speed. Most of the features like queuing, ratios, etc. are not really useful on a system that won't be left connected overnight, or for more than a few hours for that matter.

+1 Ktorrent it has everything i need, Ive used countless other in the past for windows and linux but ktorrent stuck with me most since i prefer the kde enviroment than the gnome enviroment or xfce.

grahf said:
I use Deluge personally (on Ubuntu). That said, most of the suggestions for clients are pretty excessive for the Pandora. I imagine the only rational use for bittorrent on the go is to quickly grab a tv episode, or various file w/ lots of seeders at a high speed. Most of the features like queuing, ratios, etc. are not really useful on a system that won't be left connected overnight, or for more than a few hours for that matter.
I could leave it on my desk at work doing it's thing (charging from USB obviously). It means I can take the Pandora somewhere else where there's WIFI (and maybe a USB port) and carry on downloading!

Transmission is about the only good bittorrent client that really stands up to the might that is uTorrent. To the comment about deluge; it has been banned by a ton of private trackers due to the fact that it reports bad stats, so I would avoid that thing like the plague.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back