Abysmal Speeds On Utorrent

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Heya. I'm getting a really bad download speed on utorrent (3kbps average) at the moment. It's the first time I've used the torrent program while I've been home from university, so I'm really unsure as to whats causing it. A speed test says I'm supposed to be getting 2Mbps so I'm not really sure whats going on ok. The port seems to be forwarded correctly :/

Any ideas?

You've used torrent programs before, right? The speed all depends on how fast other people are uploading files to you. You could just have a lousy torrent with slow seeders.

Yrx said:
You've used torrent programs before, right? The speed all depends on how fast other people are uploading files to you. You could just have a lousy torrent with slow seeders.
Yeah, I've got 93(2789) seeders on this thing. It has improved to 8kbps, but that's still pretty rotten. To be honest, I don't really have extended knowledge on torrents, but since it's a rar of Christmas songs, I imagined it would be pretty nippy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many leeches/peers, though? They might be taking up most of the bandwidth. It should get better as they finish and you're moved up in line, I would think. Plus, you still might just have slow seeders. :p

They also may have blocked ports, hacked clients and use 56kbs dialup modem :)

Record of transfering speed as I remember was made by dropping a giant box of HDDs out of a window... so why you still using torrents ? :)

I used to have this issue with utorrent, it told me to do port forwarding which worked for a while, but eventually it started acting up again. I never managed to permanently fix it.

Your ISP could be detecting you are using the bittorrent protocol and choke your traffic. To counteract this, encrypt your traffic (there are options for that in most torrent clients) and set your ports to something higher than 40000, these ports are less likely to be monitored. Oh, and of course make sure the ports you´re using are open. You can check if they´re open on http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Do you have a little yellow "!" symbol at the bottom of the window? If so, you need to forward a port correctly. Here's your checklist for getting it running properly:

- Make sure your network connection has a static IP (eg 192.168.1.xxx)
- Enter a chosen port into the uT settings. Go for an easy to remember 5 digit number like 63663.
- Ensure "uPnP" is unchecked in uT settings.
- Go to portforward.com, look up your router, and follow the guide for forwarding a port using the IP and port number you've chosen above.
- Check that any software firewalls on your computer are allowing uT through. You can tell your firewall to allow the aforementioned port, or even easier, just set uT as a globally trusted application.

uT should now show a happy green tick at the bottom of the window.

Extra tips:

- Set number of active downloads to two or three. Add one extra for active uploads (ie., three or four).
- Set your max upload speed to around 80% of your connection's total upstream. This will give uT the best speeds while allowing other net traffic to get through. (Remember, you can have all the download bandwidth in the world, but clog up that upstream and everything grinds to a halt).

Good luck with it. :) Probably a bit late for Xmas carols anyway. :lol:

I use Utorrent and have found this thread most useful in speeding things up and moving the port.
cheers

Back