Movies....

Great news!  I just downloaded VLC2 from The Repo.  80MB...took a minute (I threw the .pnd into the menu folder), and I transferred a Star Trek TNG episode which was 350MB from my PC to the Pandora's SD card over usb (took 3 minutes) and just played the "avi" file within VLC2.  Voila'!  It just works...  I ripped that from my DVDs and saved the files on an external hard disk for years.  :)

I'm still having no luck, the damn thing freezes and will go no further on me right around 83 percent.

I'm trying a different disk, just to see if that might be the problem, but jesus why do they have to make this stuff so damn difficult?

By the way, yes I am on Windows.

Damn thing won't work for me.

I don't know why everyone else seems to have such an easy time doing this.
Wait you're trying to rip a dvd? Or are you trying to convert a video you already have on your computer? Idk, it's a trivial task
I'm TRYING to rip a DVD...and having no god damned luck. Not with Auto GK...not with Handbrake, not with NOTHING.
I always get to a point where not a god damned thing happens, it sits there forever.

right now, freaking Auto GK has been "running a compressability test" for over the last freaking hour with no sign of any goddamned progress...not an error message NOTHING...it might as well be DOING nothing.

Great news!  I just downloaded VLC2 from The Repo.  80MB...took a minute (I threw the .pnd into the menu folder), and I transferred a Star Trek TNG episode which was 350MB from my PC to the Pandora's SD card over usb (took 3 minutes) and just played the "avi" file within VLC2.  Voila'!  It just works...  I ripped that from my DVDs and saved the files on an external hard disk for years.  :)
I have one question....HOW?!?!!?!

Nothing I do works!!  and I mean NOTHING.  It just sits there and does NOTHING...Auto GK has been "running a compressability test" for over an hour and not a damn word on how it's going...no error message, no progress bar no jack crap to tell me if it is even progressing at all...even opening the file folder is not help, the damned KB size of files doesn't show anymore and I don't know what the hell to do...let it sit or not??

I'm up till two in the freaking morning trying DESPERATELY to rip so much as a single god damned DVD...and I havbe been TRYING since effing five o clock this evening!!  NINE GODDAMN HOURS and nothing to show for it.

THIS is why I get pissed off - because everyone else seems to be able to do it with ease, and I can't get jack shit.

Maybe so, Binky.Is there a program you need in order to rip them?I know you need a program to rip CD's.Likely enough I'd buy the CD's secondhand, rip them, and [rest of quote removed - _wb_]
Is it just me who thinks that talking about copyright violation is a bad thing on a public forum?

No it's not just you. Editing the quote and the original post... _wb_

Last edited by a moderator:
ripping media and returning/reselling them render your copy off course illegal to keep...

lidvdcss is definitely needed, but that won't help you with protected DVD, just plain commercial DVD.

if you face DVD you can't rip you'd need to use something else.

I use http://www.dvdfab.com/ and the copy function (selecting an hard-disk folder as target...). you don't need to buy that software, once the trial is over you can still use that function, HD decrypter which is what is used in that case is free. after that you're free to encode the vob using whatever software you want. I personally use http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AviDemux at this point, but anything able to open vob file will do the trick, there's no protection anymore.

With handbrake, on my five years old (EDIT: was it 5 years?… yep more or less 5 years) macbook (a 5400RPM hard disk, a 2,4GHz core 2 duo, 4Go RAM, so a far from being the fastest rig existing), it took about one hour to rip The Matrix…

Handbrake shows a progress bar and even gives you a ETA, so if it doesn't display that, there is a problem. It's user-friendly (as much as a free dvd ripper/video encoder can be). Maybe try to get libdvdcss in your handbrake folder, like it's explained here (there is also a tutorial on how to use handbrake in a link on that page)?

You should relax a bit, stop being aggressive with people trying to help you and try again calmly.

If you throws a tantrum when something doesn't work your way, you won't be able to advance, gain experience and be able to resolve yourself your problems ;)

EDIT : took the time to watch the movie a bit, the encoding quality isn't quite good. The sound is good, but the image is all blocky. I still have to refine the settings  :lol:   From what I've been told, I need to turn on the decomb filter  :rolleyes:  (as you can read, I'm a complete newbie at encoding)

@thatgui : In most countries, keeping a backup of physical supports (disks, cartridges, tape, vinyl, whatever) you don't own anymore is illegal. So buying it, ripping it, then selling it doesn't allow you to keep the copy you made.

from what I gather handbrake won't help you if your DVD is copy protected...

from what I gather handbrake won't help you if your DVD is copy protected...
Well, my Matrix DVD has the logo telling it's copy protected, but it was only a CSS protection.

And since I've never tried to rip another movie…

The only thing is that HandBrake wanted me to get libdvdcss on my computer, once done, it went without problem (except the encoding quality, since I used shitty settings   :D  )

lots of disney dvd are copy protected and not just by CSS which any ripper support... and that's painfull, the old DVDdecrypter won't work for theses...

@Binky isn't Thoggen a linux software? Because she seems to be using Vista  ;)

This might be a dumb thing to say but does CloneCD work for ripping DVDs? if so that might help Kumaki

@Binky isn't Thoggen a linux software? Because she seems to be using Vista  ;)

Humph....

de·fen·es·trate

/diˈfɛn
thinsp.png
əˌstreɪt/

verb (used with object), de·fen·es·trat·ed, de·fen·es·trat·ing.

to throw (metaphorically) Microsoft Windows ® out of a computer or computer system

To uninstall Windows.

Read the quote again. ;)
indeed, you are right. You can rip, but you should buy and own the original. Returning the CDs should result in removing the mp3s. 
Of course you are right, and I may not have been paying much attention to what I was typing, I am busier than a one-armed paperhanger.

I had meant to say that I would keep buying used DVDs and then rip them.  No need to buy the new thing...when a used DVD will work out just as well.

Back