Movies....

OK, I got DVDFab to work for me.

I got what I was looking for...last night I was able to rip my copy of Mr. Destiny.

Now...to get rid of the ghost image in the upper left of DVDFab.  to do that, I ASSUME you have to buy the program...which I'm fine with doing, seeing as how it seems to do what I wanted.

As to the used CD comment, I think what I meany to say, and didn't clarify this...I would only return the used CDs on movies that I also own the videotape on - and I have a lot of those.

I have never believed I should have to spend money all over again, simply because I want the movie on a different medium now.  If I own it, I own it...regardless of whether it is a DVD or a VHS tape.

What I have in mind, basically, is ripping a lot of the stuff I have on VHS, and keeping the VHS...or keeping the used CD and getting rid of the VHS.

Have not decided what direction I want to go with that just yet.  Depends on if I can find someone to buy the used VHS

I use DVDFab just to rip the DVD, use something else for encoding the video, no watermarck that way :) I guess handbrake is just fine. I'm using AviDemux personally but you have tons of choice at this point.

If you have an avi file, you reencoded thw video and audiostream.

What he means is the option to only copy everything from the dvd to your harddrive without encoding to avi.

So I should have used the COPY options not the RIP options.

Let me try this again.

Now...once I get the VOB files...I suppose AutoGK SHOULD work for this...although, at the moment, I am less than thrilled with what I've seen of it so far.

yes mcobit, and you get the same kind of audio_ts and video_ts folder like the one you have on the DVD, but without any copy protection (and depending on what you selected in dvdfab, with only the audio for your language).

I'm sure there are other options. I know of another one to bypass advanced copy protection (AnyDVD), but this one is a shareware limited in time and quite expensive afterwards. DVDfab by itself is time limited and costly too, but if you use just the copy dvd it will use it's "DVDdecrypter" tool that is free and does not expire. I guess that you can buy DVDfab to remove that watermark but if you just use it to copy the dvd and use another encoder afterwards you'll get no watermark and for free.

I suppose AutoGK SHOULD work for this...although, at the moment, I am less than thrilled with what I've seen of it so far.
probably but you should try http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/ or maybe handbrake? I'm not using that one but it should do what you need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you export handbrake settings for another user?

If so I can setup a "open pandora" pre-set so all she has to do it open the the dvd folder in handbrake and click start

EDIT: it wont let me export a profile with all the settings only lets me export with a set video size eg 800x480

So I should have used the COPY options not the RIP options.

Let me try this again.

Now...once I get the VOB files...I suppose AutoGK SHOULD work for this...although, at the moment, I am less than thrilled with what I've seen of it so far.
No COPY is to make a duplicate of the disc. It may involve ripping, but it's not what you want. I'm guessing there's a 'ghosted' logo because you used an option like copy, rather than just decrypt (IIRC it's an option on the first screen you are presented with) which (in every version I've used) results in a rip to HD with no burnt-in logo.
Note, AutoGK is not a ripper, it's a tool for making XviD AVI files from your pre-ripped DVD files - I thought we established this earlier, you use a ripping tool like Decrypter or DVDFab to rip the disc first, so you have a folder on your PC with the IFO and VOB files (the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc). THEN you set AutoGK to work on the main IFO file that has been ripped.

If you were using AutoGK without having ripped the disc with another tool first then there's your problem right there. As for finding the 'destination' folder where the file will be created, it's the one you specify in the second line (output file). The tmp folder you'll find in that same location is used for it's own temporary files for that session, the avi wont be in that it'll be alongside it .

DVDFab's full version is not free - but if you only want the disc ripping (Decrypt) option (and in this case that's true) then that part works free.

You just use DVDFab to rip the dvd files to your hard disc ( I believe that the option is 'decrypt', it certainly used to be). When that's done you use AutoGK as described previously here and it should work flawlessly.

To make sure you're on the right track, the first thing you must do before you attempt any other steps in the process, is get the disc 'ripped'.

Lets avoid any misunderstanding here - ripping is the process of copying the files from the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder (where all the movie and extras content exists) to your hard disc. This is necessary as the files, although visible to you on the dvd, are 'encrypted' and must be 'decrypted' first to be manipulated by other software.

The end result of the ripping process will be - as described before here - will be a set of files prefixed with VTS and with .IFO and .VOB extensions.

The .VOB files are video - you should check that all has gone well by playing a few seconds of one of the ones belonging to the main movie part by opening it in VLC or almost any other media player on your PC.

Once you've established that you have a proper rip in this standard format, the previous AutoGK instructions should work just fine. You'll find it's probably the simplest tool for making .avi files that will work on your Pandora.

Kumaki, everyone would like a way to simply pay once for a digital copy of a movie that you can own and play anywhere. The problem is that the content industry is opposed to that distribution method. They don't want you to be able to download and then be able to copy that file wherever you want, because that means you could give copies to your friends.

This is why they put copy protection on DVDs.

The advice given to you to "just buy DVDs and make copies" is also problematic because of this. Many DVDs cannot be ripped (copied and compressed) by tools such as handbrake because of this.

In addition, circumventing copy protection is a crime under the Digital Millenium Copyright act. Since passage of that bill, purchasing a DVD no longer gives you "fair use" rights to make a copy for yourself, if that copy entails circumventing copy protection. (AFAIK, IANAL)

So basically, you can't get what you want. Welcome to the DRM era.

EDIT: "he Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) is a United States copyright law that implements two 1996 treaties of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). It criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

I read somewhere last week about a change in law [here in UK] which would allow for exactly this, so if you purchase media you can copy it onto any/all of your devices.

Article was mentioning music and film purchases.

Not sure if this was definitely happening or proposed plans though

Well, that is just stupid...to prevent you from doing it...just because you MIGHT give copies to your friends.

If you actually DO THAT...then game on.

But making copies for yourself...of what you already own...should not be an issue.

Just want to play movies on my Pandora...where's the frickin crime?

Money-grubbing bastards.

I'd be happy to even pay for a download for god's sake...and then, like I said...if you actually then sell or copy and give it to friends...THEN that is not really cool, I guess.  But should not be a problem for doing it for your own self.

I read somewhere last week about a change in law [here in UK] which would allow for exactly this, so if you purchase media you can copy it onto any/all of your devices.
Article was mentioning music and film purchases.

Not sure if this was definitely happening or proposed plans though
Nice.

I wouldn't bet on it happening here in the capitalist asshole of the world, the United States.

Here, everything is about money.

As I said, I'm willing to pay whatever is needed to GET WHAT I ACTUALLY WANT.

I know that, but maybe it isn't such a good idea to talk about this.

I wasn't too very clear on what I actually wanted in the first place.

Basically, I got a ton of movies on VHS tapes.

I'd like to manage to get those movies onto Pandora.

I actually DO own the movies in question, all of them.

Just want it in another format so that it can be watched on the fly on my Pandora.

Maybe we should get a port of iTunes...or whatever the Apple equivalent for movies is...and then can pay and download them, and then put them on the Pandy, hey?

Well, anyway...I'm thinkin this topic is kinda done.

I'm not American, but the DMCA is not quite so easily described; you'll have to go look it up. Theres provisions for format shifting, for stuff no longer available, and other complications. (It varies by media.. games, to music, to video, etc.)

My inclination is if you have a VHA tape for something not avtively available, you're allowed to format shift it as needed, to make it viewable. (ie: Its not like VHS players are avtively being made or sold anymore, so what other choices do you have?) .. however, if a movie is actively being sold in DVD, then I bet you're on thin legal ice. (And at low risk, etc blah blah, you know the riff.)

The way the rights holders have it is.. you buy it on VHS; you didn't buy the movie; you bought a VHA tape with that movie on it, and you're nicely allowed to watch that movie from that tape. Format shifting wasn't part of the package you bought. Thats what sort of nice peopel they are :)

I always hated this industries that 'shit where they sleep'; these people make these insane rules, and then bitch about them when they get home and bit by them as well.

jeff

I got all my VHS tapes, and tossed them :/ Too much space taken up.

yea and what really suxs everything and anything is beings pushed out on dvd now they have to keep the huge $5 bins all over in wal-mart full

Kumaki I know what you mean, was just mentioning that new change in law here as slightly on topic.

Have you considered the ion converter:

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/vcr-2-pc

Discontinued there but sure could pick up on eBay then shift it when you done copying all your old vhs.

I actually need to get one myself for same task but been on back burner for few years, I'm still slowly getting through converting my vinyl to digital.

I have some vhs taking up space but refuse to throw them out

I have some vhs taking up space but refuse to throw them out
Buy a DVD recorder and get to it or get a few external HDs and start copying them to that to deal with later, the old VCR won't last forever and parts will be hard to come by!
I wouldn't bother with movies though, you'll have the old aspect ratio, poor compressibility and sometimes macrovision protection will block your attempts, unless you also get a filter for that. Lot of work for little reward, when you'll probably find the DVD for less than the VHS blank cost you!

It can be fun finding old adverts in off-air recordings though, especially the toy and gadget ones from Christmas.

Yeah I know you right... quality of those bad boys fading each day eh

Most are not films too, old docus, old graffiti vids, early rave vids, old telly recordings... bound to have some fun a adverts too... I will make a conscious effort to start as it goes.

Also, just see this...

Birthday week, happy birthday VHS!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mobileweb/2013/04/15/youtube-vhs-mode-celebrat_n_3082950.html

YouTube have a VHS mode going on :)

OT

One of the VHS cassettes is some of the Channel 4 broadcast of Pot Night, an evening of canibis culture short films, docus and classic films like Cheech & Chong and Reefer Madness.

A lot of it is up on YT, just see this which I remembered was a good little short film, called Kettle People :)

In 2 parts.

Definitely want to check that old recording, which will have old adverts too as I remember just leaving it recording whilst I was out

Back