usb wifi

milesy

Still Fresh
After receiving one of the pandoras with a faulty wifi chip, I went out and bought this today. Unfortunately tomorrow I'll be returning it as I've been completely unsuccessful in getting it working on either my pandora or my laptop running ubuntu 10.10. :(

Can anyone recommend one that works for me and my pandy? I'd prefer to get a similar form factor as I don't like how the normal 'pen sized' ones turn the pandora into a giant phallic symbol.

Thanks Alerino, I had a feeling you'd be responding. ;)

Having a big dong isn't ideal but as long as it works it's all good. (Sure there's a joke there somewhere).

its not that hard to get most stick working on the pandora (so long as there are opensource drivers available), but its a bit harder to get someone else to do it for ya if said person dont have the same stick as you do (its quite a hassle to go back and forth with someone else just to try the driver out).

any wifi stick using the RT3572USB driver should work with the link provided in that post, the linksys AE1000 just happen to be one of those many sticks.

Has anyone tried a netgear wifi stick yet? I have one but don't know how to get the driver's on to the pandora

I've just swapped the Sitecom WL 352 for a Linksys WUSB100 and tried this with no joy. Gonna play around with it later on this evening, but I've got a feeling I should've got the WUSB600N instead. :huh:

its normal since the WUSB100 use the RT2870 driver, not the RT3572.

i can try to compile the driver for you, but without having an actual stick with that chipset, i have no way to test it out. tho if you are confortable with linux, compile it yourself, the sources are available here

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

RT2870USB(RT2870/RT2770)

Thanks for the info Jey, but I'd already grabbed it earlier. I was trying to compile it earlier using this guide but kept running into problems, until I realised that the 32bit tarball won't work for a 64bit machine. Tomorrow I'll dig out a 32bit image and try this compiling lark again.

well, since your compiling for the pandora, i find it much easier to do it directly on the pandora. using extend util to "add" the space you may need to the nand using your sd as storage.

Well that was indeed my original plan, but seeing as I want to build something for connectivity, and in order to get the files to build I need connectivity in the first place, then I'm in a catch 22 situation right? Unless of course there's a way I can get the needed files onto an SD card via my pc?

Unless of course there's a way I can get the needed files onto an SD card via my pc?

You can use either SD card reader or USB cable, both cheap and easy to obtain. There's big chance you already have an USB cable bundled with your phone, mp3 player etc.

Unless of course there's a way I can get the needed files onto an SD card via my pc?

You can use either SD card reader or USB cable, both cheap and easy to obtain. There's big chance you already have an USB cable bundled with your phone, mp3 player etc.

Thanks for stating the obvious, but how would I get the pandora dev tools (gcc, make, etc) onto my pc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back