Umpc?

RHCA

Still Fresh
For me, this is an UMPC, not just a handheld, I mean I'm goin to use it as much as i can for my homework, for learning programming and for everything I imagine, but do u think this is really an UMPC???

Yes, its going to run linux, have an almost complete keyboard, control of the cursor, usb, have office applications, etc.

greendots said:
Yes, its going to run linux, have an almost complete keyboard, control of the cursor, usb, have office applications, etc.
and linux is better then windows.

I got about 600 euro's next month, lets see if im going to buy a umpc or a pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's a UMPC. In fact, every time I tell anyone about it - blog about it - twitter about it, etc. - I also say "The Pandora is the upcoming Linux-based gaming UMPC" or "UMPC with a focus on gaming."

To me, it's a UMPC *first* and a gaming console second.

I plan to use it as much as a handheld computer as for gaming, really. Mostly drawing, programming, and reading books/comics. And media. Really, the GP2X, I tried to do it with it, but it just wasn't cut out for it.

The thing that hindered the GP2X from becoming a more UMPC type device, really, was the lack of any sort of Wifi. Add that and a qwerty key'board' and I'll be paying attention.

Really, with the mic, wifi, keyboard, and some VOIP software, I'm seriously thinking of canceling my mobile and paying for a Skype account, if its reliable and works well on the Pandora.
Not only that, but I'll probably be doing 60-70 percent of my web browsing on it, including myspace, facebook, and email.
If there's an alarm clock app, I'll probably use it to wake up in the morning.
If there's a calendar and contact program, I'll use those as well, possibly on a daily basis.
And depending on how big an SD I get, I'll probably use it as my main MP3 player.
And I'll definitely be utilizing the gaming aspect. Definitely. Especially if someone fenaggles Saturn emulation ;) and if there is a convenient wasy to netplay, I'll be all over that.

Add it all up, and the Pandora, to me, could possibly be:
a phone
a web browser
a data organizer
an alarm clock
an MP3 player
a Genesis, a PSX, etc..

So, pretty much, I'll be using it for everything. God forbid It gets stolen or I break it.

its infantry more customisable and much easier to program on. but like anything It takes time to learn

Hessiess said:
its infantry more customisable and much easier to program on. but like anything It takes time to learn

Best mis-spelling ever... unless it wasn't.

Weeeeell, maybe an UUMPC, it isn't hardly bigger than a DS, so it will be difficult to type on, and the screen will be tough to read.

One thing is for sure, the iTouch and the iPhone have got nothing on this. (rickafrackasaking Apple SDK and lack of proper software.)

I look forward to being able to actually perform rudimentary file management, unlike the GP2X (no rename, useless) or the PSP (explain to me how a PC is any use without a keyboard or a file manager?)

I always thought of it as a UUMPC, that is why I was pissed as hell at that guy who came on here a few months back about how "ugly the keyboard is" and "no one will buy it", moron.

No more umpc than a blackberry is, any keyboard smaller than an eeepc is of no practical use for anything but games unless you're a masochist and that game had better not call for too much typing, the ram size alone and lack of swap will cripple most productivity apps. Just because something can doesn't mean it should. The few things it will be good for such as file management will put it heads above other game players but as a umpc it does not rise to zaurus level.

nubie said:
Weeeeell, maybe an UUMPC, it isn't hardly bigger than a DS, so it will be difficult to type on, and the screen will be tough to read.
The screen won't be hard to read. The N800 has a slightly smaller screen (4.1" for N800 - 4.3" for the Pandora) and the same resolution. Reading things is easy on my N800.

Can we keep the "My OS is better than your OS" arguments out of this thread and put them into this one instead please :)

Sphinxter said:
No more umpc than a blackberry is, any keyboard smaller than an eeepc is of no practical use for anything but games unless you're a masochist and that game had better not call for too much typing, the ram size alone and lack of swap will cripple most productivity apps. Just because something can doesn't mean it should. The few things it will be good for such as file management will put it heads above other game players but as a umpc it does not rise to zaurus level.

You've obviously never used a Nokia Internet Tablet. These things are the same size (practically - actually a little smaller) than the Pandora - and they work just fine as a UMPC. I got a fold out BT keyboard for my N800 (the one with no keyboard built it) so typing wouldn't be an issue - but even before I got that - it did a lot of stuff. If someone ports Maemo to it, or if whatever OS the Pandora runs is similiar, it should be just fine. The main thing will be a thumb virtual (on screen) keyboard. The one on the N800 is as close to perfect as I've seen. Big enough to type on with even my fat fingers.

There's no Blackberry as powerful as the Pandora. Even the so-called "iPhone killer" model that's about to come out doesn't compare.

You can do a lot more with the RAM that it has than you think. Again, I point to the N800, whose is less powerful, and can do a ton of stuff.

Look, if the thing can run Ubuntu, and it can, if it can run Firefox 3, and it can, if it can run Mplayer, and it can, if it can run Maemo, and it should be able to, it's a UMPC.

It's a game system - it's a PMP - it's a MID - and it's a UMPC. Only thing it's not is a cell phone.

You got to remember - UMPC ≠ Desktop replacement nor does UMPC ≠ Eee PC. The Eee PC is a sub-subnotebook. It's not a UMPC. A UMPC should, in theory, fit in a normal human's pants pocket. Unless that human is Jared before Subway - the Eee PC ain't fittin.

chad78 said:
It's a game system - it's a PMP - it's a MID - and it's a UMPC. Only thing it's not is a cell phone.
Hey, you saw that DS phone video on youtube, did you not? I'm sure it won't be long after Pandora's release :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't think it matters what labels you slap on to the Pandora.

However, if you're going to have the argument anyway then you might as well get the terminology right. The acronym "UMPC" was coined by Microsoft, and refers to any device which uses a 5-7" display (min. 800x480 res.), weighs less than two pounds, and runs one of several versions of Windows Vista (latest spec).

Some people (such as UMPCPortal.com, who currently has a front page article mentioning Pandora) have expanded the definition to include nearly anything that runs a desktop OS and has a <10" display. There are newer sub-categories to the UMPC genre, such as netbooks (anything resembling an eeePC) and MIDs (anything resembling a Nokia N-series tablet), but there is no reason to split hairs.

By the colloquial definition, Pandora clearly qualifies. By the MS definition, it does not. All you have to figure out is which side you're on.

Hey, if people use the dinky qwerty pads on cellphones to text as fast as they can, no big deal, then I think the Pandora's will be no big deal. I anticipate using my thumbs more than touch-typing. Even so, It'll be fine, I imagine.

Chip said:
Some people (such as UMPCPortal.com, who currently has a front page article mentioning Pandora)

They finally put it in their database! Cool! I contacted them weeks agos, and they said they were working on it. So, I'm glad it's in there. Details are sparse, but it's at least included.

As far as MID is concerned, there are hair-spliters on that one as well. Intel coined the phrase, so, of course, the definition includes an Intel CPU. (Which the Nokia Tablets don't have, and, of course, neither does the Pandora.) However, I don't fall on the Intel side in that argument. MID stands for Mobile Internet Device, which, of course, the Pandora (and Nokia N8x0) is.

For me Pandora is a Gaming Pocket Computer ( you can say Gaming umpc too )

for me is addition of :
Pocket computer like Sharp PC1211 ( i quote him because it was the first pocket programming in basic :wub: )
sharp_pc1211.jpg

and console gaming like NDS,GP2X

100_3380.JPG

also now i use my old Sharp PC1360 as you see

Oh PoisonedV yes DS could do phone via IP but not via GSM or GPRS so DS and Pandora couldn't take the place of cell phone ( you must have a device GSM/GPRS for that :) )

chad78 said:
I contacted them weeks ago...
Ferf**ks sake will you all stop telling the whole world about Pandora until after I/we have got our grubby mitts on one! ;)

chad78 said:
nubie said:
The screen won't be hard to read. The N800 has a slightly smaller screen (4.1" for N800 - 4.3" for the Pandora) and the same resolution. Reading things is easy on my N800.

Ok, I meant for 6px-8px fonts, but you are right, it should be entirely possible to browse the web on it.

For sure much better than that stinking PSP, by the time the darn thing loaded a page I was tired from holding it up.

I did check my email with it, but it was an exercise in impatience with the flipping on-screen keyboard (maybe if it had a logical layout that would allow you to on-screen with a combo of the d-pad and action keys, but no.)

Basically I guess I completely agree with you, and the bonus is going to be the sick gaming and emu action. I like the fact that it is a serious computer as well as a gaming device (even the 2X falls on its face here, not enough controls/no keyboard, no serious thought given to use as a computer OR a gaming device.)

Back