Uk Ds Launch

Mark

Boris Johnson: Cuddly Conservative
Website
www.gp-magazine.org.uk
Right, before I start please do not start a PSP/DS war. I don't care about that; if you can't stand the DS don't post.

Well, after just seeing the DS on ITV news (for any non-Brits, that's of our two main channel's news programme) and seeing everything that's going on in town, I can honestly say that it looks to sell an insane amount.

Gamestation have a midnight launch. As you walk in, you're greeted by a pile of DS dummy boxes in front of you, and all across the wall on the right. All th staff are wearing "Touch Me!" t shirts, and have done so for the last week or so.

There's a dummy unit, which looks quite nice, and a large dummy finger that points to different stuff.

Game have made it the complete focus of their store, and both that I went into had been done up completly for this purpose. Simular set to GS, but way way over the top.

Woolworths have posters everywhere advertising it, and the one in Hanley, which was closed down for refurbishment until today, was plastered in these posters all over the front of the boards.

While I haven't seen that many TV Ad's, I've seen a few-including some between stuff like The Simpsons.

It's going to sell an absolute ton. Any experiences with this kind of thing?

EDIT: Left big space at end.

I'm planning on picking up another DS soon, I hope there isn't mass shortages. Man I wish I could have joined in on the launch fun, I think I'll skip school tomorrow to go into town and see if there is a big fuss.

i know a guy who works in GameStation and he said they have 6 preorders (but you have to pay £5)

I am now chummy with a guy in GAME since i whooped him at metroid and he said they have hundereds of preorders

should be pretty sweet

i noticed the display unit was gathering much attention in town yesterday.

a few of my non-geek mates have asked me a couple of questions about it, people are certainly very aware of its impending arrival.

Well a much much better sounding launch than here in Aus. I can say its pretty dead here. I haven't seen a DS in public or any ads anywhere.

It's good to see Nintendo actually putting some effort in - they've obviously been sweet talking GAME & co quite a bit :)

Hopefully Nintendo will manage to give Sony's marketing bods a run for their money (nowt against Sony but the more the merrier eh?). Sony have obviously been making some efforts to put people off till the PSP arrives though... the ITN news item I saw basically said that the DS was great but would have it's work cut out going up against the marketing of Sony. The Sun ran an article on the PSP that basically read like a Sony press release - shockingly biased really.

Overall I'm pretty amazed by the level of coverage for both. I don't remember ever seeing a console getting a news item on ITN before!

J(ohn)

We have allot of TV ad´s here in Holland.
Also I went to a reallly small toyshop and they had a DS try-out stand.
With WarioWare touch!
I think it´s gonna be huge too.

It will be huge until the PSP comes out. Trade ins of DS' in the US have increased dramatically due to the PSP's soon approaching arrival. But then, that's not what this thread is about.

Just wanted to say how hilarious the DS advert is where he bangs the dog turd back up the dogs hole. So very funny.

kotd posted on Mar 11 2005 at 12:53 AM said:
Well a much much better sounding launch than here in Aus. I can say its pretty dead here. I haven't seen a DS in public or any ads anywhere.

Dead? Right...

Top%2010%20All%20Full%20Priced%20Gam.gif

Here are your charts for last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
finty101 posted on Mar 11 2005 at 08:00 PM said:
If this turns into a PSP v DS thread I will have lost all faith in humanity.

Ever since Jonathon Wilkes started being a TV personality, I've had no faith. I'll just be pissed off it turns into one.

I can only say this, I HOPE you guys get more of an assortment of launch games to choose from than we did at the US launch. If they're gonna make you wait an extra 3 mos to get your hands on one, they should at least be kind enough to do that.

I heard that Gamestations official policy (Hull's anyway) is that preorders arent necessary and they wherent taking them.

I also heard a guy in Game persuading someone to go for a DS for their kid instead of a PSP cause he had loads of old Gameboy advance games - That was a nice change.

However I will probably wait for the GBA2 (unless there are any good RPGs for the DS).

looks like a Big Launch, But Im guessing the PSP Launch will be bigger :D

It was on Radio 1 (they were compairing the DS and PSP) and the testers liked the PSP Better as it had the ability to play Movies and MP3's etc..

How much is the DS Price in town ??

Steve-O posted on Mar 11 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
It was on Radio 1 (they were compairing the DS and PSP) and the testers liked the PSP Better as it had the ability to play Movies and MP3's etc..
Good, but we're talking about the how big the ds launch is.

I'm not too worried how much the ds takes off. Will only be a nice bonus as if more people have 1 then there'll be more people to play multiplayer with. Can't wait to try ridge racers on wifi, I've been totally addicted to it!

Dozer posted on Mar 11 2005 at 09:50 PM said:
Steve-O posted on Mar 11 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
Good, but we're talking about the how big the ds launch is.

I'm not too worried how much the ds takes off. Will only be a nice bonus as if more people have 1 then there'll be more people to play multiplayer with. Can't wait to try ridge racers on wifi, I've been totally addicted to it!

How good is it? I can get it for £14 odd quid.

Back