Ubuntu On Pandora

Hey all,

I have read so many posts from people waving their arms and saying what they think it would be like. Have you tried it? I am running Debian on my Zaurus. It works extremely well. Although it/is not as quick as some other more optimized distros are, I have access to 20,000+ pacakages on Debian. And this is on a platform with HALF the ram of the pandora. You can try to use whatever you want, but unless it can use repositories from debian or Ubuntu, you will eventually fail. Unless of course you can sell millions of these things.

Another thing to note...The Zaurus was not mentioned in the news for ages - until someone put Ubuntu on it. It has run Debian for ages with no special interest. Yet as soon as a basic and unfinished version of Ubuntu is availible, it is on Engadget.

Ubuntu = interest wether we like it or not. Even if custimized Debian is a better choice for a full system.

Canguy

Canguy said:
Hey all,

I have read so many posts from people waving their arms and saying what they think it would be like. Have you tried it? I am running Debian on my Zaurus. It works extremely well. Although it/is not as quick as some other more optimized distros are, I have access to 20,000+ pacakages on Debian. And this is on a platform with HALF the ram of the pandora. You can try to use whatever you want, but unless it can use repositories from debian or Ubuntu, you will eventually fail. Unless of course you can sell millions of these things.

Another thing to note...The Zaurus was not mentioned in the news for ages - until someone put Ubuntu on it. It has run Debian for ages with no special interest. Yet as soon as a basic and unfinished version of Ubuntu is availible, it is on Engadget.

Ubuntu = interest wether we like it or not. Even if custimized Debian is a better choice for a full system.

Canguy
+1 Yeah, I've been waiting for some one to come up with this post. Thousands of packages are already there ready to be installed on a Debian box. It might again seem like I'm trying to insult someone, but I'll say that Debian (or Ubuntu) is a brand that implies the availability of 20000+ packages and libs, needed to port some specific stuff. I can't say that the upcoming P-OS is bad, I haven't used it. But if that is possible, we should make the TI's kernel available for others in a deb. package. As far as I understand this is the only obstacle towards Debian on the :pandora1: . Am I wrong here?

Last edited by a moderator:
_VWV_ said:
I can't say that the upcoming P-OS is bad

Every POS I've ever had was bad.

Please tell me no one is actually going to call the operating system for the Pandora the POS (or the Pandora OS, since that will be shortened to POS eventually). Pandora Linux - Pandebian - Panduntu - Pandrake - Pan Small Linux - Pandows - anything but POS. I really don't want people to laugh everytime I talk about my handheld's awesome software.

Chad78
1. A used P-OS to shorten the post.
2. As you might have mentioned English is not my native language, so I had to consult the Urban dictionary to find out what a P.O.S. is.
3. Any way, such mistakes have something to do with linguistics and nothing to do with the Ubuntu mobile on the :pandora1: , so I guess you're right and we should stop here.

_VWV_ said:
Chad78
1. A used P-OS to shorten the post.
2. As you might have mentioned English is not my native language, so I had to consult the Urban dictionary to find out what a P.O.S. is.
3. Any way, such mistakes have something to do with linguistics and nothing to do with the Ubuntu mobile on the :pandora1: , so I guess you're right and we should stop here.

VWV, I didn't think you meant anything bad by it. This isn't the first time I've seen POS used that way. First, I was just making a joke - and secondly I really don't want the OS to be called that. For that reason. But I never meant to upset you. Sorry about that.

Even point of sale machines? >:-D wink.gif

Never had one myself - so I can't say. :)

Back