Uae4all Gp2x 0.7.0

JimmySlam said:
now that we have cradle, and good emus we need to compile the srcs to have compatibility with the nice usb stuff (keyoard,mouse,joypad) that will make GP2X GOD.
I have just ordered the cradle from gp2x.co.uk with fast shipping, so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering how the latest version is doing with demos.

Maybe it was the 0.5 I only tried once and was already surprised there is an emulator in GP2X that can actually run a single demo without having the sound stuttering. Well,. only Enigma by Phenomena actually worked like this for 90% of it's parts. The speed and sound stuttering was still there in demos like Arte or Elysium by Sanity, State of the Art and others. But Enigma ran well! I hope there is some improovement for demos in this version even though I doubt most of them can still run well or at all. I haven't tried any amiga game because I wasn't into Amiga in the past and so I don't know what to try first. But I'll watch those YouTube videos to see how fast it goes. I'll try soon the demos too and see for myself..

critical said:
JimmySlam said:
now that we have cradle, and good emus we need to compile the srcs to have compatibility with the nice usb stuff (keyoard,mouse,joypad) that will make GP2X GOD.
I have just ordered the cradle from gp2x.co.uk with fast shipping, so hopefully it will arrive tomorrow ;)

Is that a hint to that you will add keyboard/mouse/joystick support? If so, YEEEEEEEES!!
This emulator was a very good argument why I got my GP2X, if you add those I will be very happy.

We all would be happy. :)

And if u can add memory to the emulator, it will be like having an amiga with more memory.

I just wanna see the animations i did on deluxe paint IV and i have to split in different files cause memory problems.

i can do it on the pc but on the gp2x is cooler.

JimmySlam said:
We all would be happy. :)

And if u can add memory to the emulator, it will be like having an amiga with more memory.

I just wanna see the animations i did on deluxe paint IV and i have to split in different files cause memory problems.

i can do it on the pc but on the gp2x is cooler.
Wasnt Dpaint VI AGA as well?? Came with the 1200 didnt it??

Shadowsithe said:
I'm always stuck at the workbench screen. I've got a 512k overdump of the 1.3 kickstart, and I've tried quite a few different disk images.
By workbench screen do you mean the screen with the hand and the disk. This isnt workbench. Workbench is full of icons and windows and things.

You could get winuae and make sure the disks are not at fault.
Make sure the games are A500 and not A1200 games
Some games dont start on disk one (I know it sounds stupid) Lure of the temptress needs disk 4 to load.
try getting Workbench.adf to test it for sure

Yey! There are some good improvements in demo. Still not perfect, but demos that were not running at all run almost well now, some parts are smooth, some slow down a lot and sound too (heavy blitter use inspired effects), some demos need to set Speed Bias to CPU full to not freeze. Enigma runs great, State of the Art and 9 Fingers at some parts well enough, some parts slow down the sound, Desert Dreams works but crashes somewhere int he middle, Technological Death works very well with CPU speed bias or else it doesn't load at all, Elysium works better even if few slowdowns, Arte some slow downs, some well enough speed and sound, crashed on the zooming plasma (too much blitter?), World of Commodore runs well in the beginning, crashes somewhere and there are lot's more to try. Great!

I've got to congratulate everyone involved in getting the emulator to the state that it's at today. The compatibility and speed are getting there. Great work!

Out of curiosity, which UAE core does UAE4ALL use? I imagine it uses something fairly old. Has anyone ever looked into simply porting E-UAE ( http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/ ) instead? It's basically a backport of WinUAE, which is the most updated of the UAE series. I've not used E-UAE, but I imagine compatibility would be much better than UAE4ALL. E-UAE uses SDL so it may well be a case of a few tweaks and recompile?

Jimmy said:
Out of curiosity, which UAE core does UAE4ALL use? I imagine it uses something fairly old. Has anyone ever looked into simply porting E-UAE ( http://www.rcdrummond.net/uae/ ) instead? It's basically a backport of WinUAE, which is the most updated of the UAE series. I've not used E-UAE, but I imagine compatibility would be much better than UAE4ALL. E-UAE uses SDL so it may well be a case of a few tweaks and recompile?

I believe it to be uae 0.8.22. gnostic's uae2x release is based on e-uae. Compatibility is a product of many things... personally, I think a fast enough A500 emulator is a good enough goal.

As you note, e-uae back-ports lots of changes from WinUAE. I think it's probably fair to say that performance on a relatively low-spec device wasn't high on the requirements list when developing WinUAE. That's not to say that I don't think it's an excellent release, because clearly it is. I just don't think it's most suitable for the GP2X version to be based on.

@Miika: it was a fairly strong hint, wasn't it? ;)
@jimmyslam: more memory is on the TODO list (with key mapping and kickstart selection) for a release after the mighty Notaz's changes are complete.

EDIT: the cradle arrived. That was quick. I must confess that I hadn't read much about it before, but it's very impressive-looking.

The positive, happy vibe lasted as long as it took me to actually try to use it. That's when I discovered (I hadn't been paying attention to this board, but just read the gp2x.co.uk website) that it won't power the GP2X, that you can't access the USB client port, you can't get at the GP2X power switch very easily. It even caused my GP2X (MK1) to white screen when inserting it into an unpowered dock. Strangely, that particular problem seems to have gone away now. Not being able to easily connect it to my development computer while docked is insane.

@Critical:

Yep the original cradle suxs.

That is why we use this one ;)

Homemade and it works veery well.

Good things:
Is tiny! (Easily transportable)
You dont need to power the gp2x with AC adaptors while u are using the miniCradle!
TVOUT- using RCA not s-video plug.
Works very well!!

Bad things about it:
You have to power the minicradle.
Doenst have rs-232 , jtag or audio out. (Which you dont really need)
The gp2x is supported by the ext port only.

http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread....ight=minicradle

If you can see the pictures ,drop me a line and I will post them here (in a new thread)

Interesting - I can see the pictures because I'm a member of the Spanish forums too. It's not quite as pretty, but a nice hack, and good functionality :)

JimmySlam said:
@critical:

Yep the original cradle suxs.

That is why we use this one ;)

Homemade and it works veery well.

Good things:
Is tiny! (Easily transportable)
You dont need to power the gp2x with AC adaptors while u are using the miniCradle!
TVOUT- using RCA not s-video plug.
Works very well!!

Bad things about it:
You have to power the minicradle.
Doenst have rs-232 , jtag or audio out. (Which you dont really need)
The gp2x is supported by the ext port only.
http://www.gp32spain.com/foros/showthread....ight=minicradle

If you can see the pictures ,drop me a line and I will post them here (in a new thread)

post it anyway, not all here are in the Spanish forums too

Shadowsithe said:
No audio out? Pass... I think I'll just build a box for my dev-board.

EDIT: How might I actually go about doing that... without Lego?
Styrofoam.

No audio out? Pass... I think I'll just build a box for my dev-board.

EDIT: How might I actually go about doing that... without Lego?

NO audio? Well the audio is no the other side of the handheld and pluggin the auidio jack on the gp2x will make it silent, otherwise you have a nice 4 speakers fake system.

Now THAT's a facelift! :) The blitter improvements really aren't minor, gave a good boost to my BlitterSweet amiga demo.

Had hopes of getting Gravity-Force <3 to run, but still hangs on level load (mission). I believe Stephan Wenzler relied on Kick 1.2 contents for the track routines, since hiscore save fails on 1.3 (if you don't trick it).

Can it use my normal kick 1.2 image, or does it have to be overloaded? The docs in the zip seems to be for some multiplatform version supporting harddisks etc.

A quick google didn't find docs for the gp2x version. If there are no up to date docs, I volunteer to write them (the best would be a html version and a compact version that can be viewed from UAE4all itself, I think).

But I must say this was great news! Sorry to hear notaz hasn't the time to continue it.

I can't take on the whole emu, but I'm an asm freak, so I'd love to manually optimize selected tight loops... you see, I did some stuff on the Archimedes, so I know the difference between a routine written from scratch in asm and one compiled c-line by c-line... extremely so on the ARM.

I didn't want to promise anything before, but the last few days I've been looking into the ARM9 cores and MagicEyes.

Anyone involved in this, please PM me if you have the perfect function or code snippet/loop for me to optimize :D I'll be stopping by #gp2xdev later tonight tho.
/Photon/SCX.

Back