Beta Uae4All Additions

tuki_cat said:
is it possible to create a screenshot using a short cut? i see there is a screenshots folder so i assume the feature does exist
The function in the code just creates a small thumbnail (where you can't really see anything) so it's worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
john4p said:
tuki_cat said:
is it possible to create a screenshot using a short cut? i see there is a screenshots folder so i assume the feature does exist
The function in the code just creates a small thumbnail (where you can't really see anything) so it's worthless.

Thanks, I thinnk there us another way to take a screen capture on the Pandora, I will take a look at this instead.

I updated the UAE4All article again with the new control changes:
http://pandorawiki.org/UAE4ALL#In-game_controls
Please tell me if it's accurate. I think I may have some things wrong. In particular:

Are ABXY still mapped to the direction keys in mouse mode?

Is the "All modes except Custom Control mode" section correct?

Which combinations still work in Custom Control mode? I think (L)+K does bring up the keyboard, but I'm not sure that you can use the d-pad to select keys if the d-pad isn't mapped to directions.

Thanks, I thinnk there us another way to take a screen capture on the Pandora, I will take a look at this instead.
I just figured out how to do it yesterday, by following the instructions in this thread. I haven't tried it to see if it works in UAE4All, though.

Esn said:
I updated the UAE4All article again with the new control changes:
http://pandorawiki.org/UAE4ALL#In-game_controls
Thanks!

Esn said:
Are ABXY still mapped to the direction keys in mouse mode?
No, only (X) is arrow down (to pull the spring in Pinball games).

Esn said:

Which combinations still work in Custom Control mode? I think (L)+K does bring up the keyboard, but I'm not sure that you can use the d-pad to select keys if the d-pad isn't mapped to directions.
Only [R]+Dpad (for arrow keys) doesn't work in Custom control mode. The other combinations work in custom mode, too.

Some corrections (forgot to mention that):
Joystick mode:
[R]+(A): left ALT (since it's not on [L] anymore)
[R]+(X): HELP
[R]+(B ): CTRL

Mouse mode: [R] is right ALT in mouse mode and [L] is left ALT (if someone wants to use the triggers for Pinball)

Esn said:
I just figured out how to do it yesterday, by following the instructions in this thread.
Great guide - that's very useful.

john4p said:
Esn said:

Only [R]+Dpad (for arrow keys) doesn't work in Custom control mode. The other combinations work in custom mode, too.
What about the combinations in joystick mode, which of them still work in custom control mode:

(L) + D-pad: Mouse movement
(L) + (A) = left mouse button
(L) + (B) = right mouse button
(L) + K: Open or close virtual keyboard
(R) + D-pad: Arrow keys
(R) + (Y): Autofire on/off (also works in custom control mode)
(R) + (A): Ctrl
(R) + (X): Help
(R) + (B) : Num lock enter

^ Out of those only [L]+K and [R]+(Y) are active in custom control mode. The others not.

Btw., please note the changed mapping of [R]+(A)/(B ) in joystick mode in the edited post above (ctrl is now R+B instead of R+A, left ALT is R+A and numpad enter is gone).

Thank you - now it's up to date.

One last addition: in mouse/pinball mode "dpad left" is also left ALT and (B ) is right ALT (flippers in Pinball) and (Y) is SPACE (push table in Pinball).

@john4p & ESN - I'll check the readme included in the PND against the wiki and update as needed.

john4p said:
Thank you - now it's up to date.

One last addition: in mouse/pinball mode "dpad left" is also left ALT and (B ) is right ALT (flippers in Pinball) and (Y) is SPACE (push table in Pinball).
Wait, but those already have functions assigned to them...

D-pad: Move mouse pointer
(B ) : Right mouse button
(Y): hold Y to slow down mouse movement when using the D-pad or Left Nub

So they have double-functions? Might it not conflict? Maybe for games in which someone just wants to move the mouse "left" without pressing ALT at the same time. or pressing the right mouse button without also pressing Alt. It just seems to me like there are already enough pinball functions in this mode without taking that risk; if that's not enough, there's always Custom Controls mode... it would be really easy to set things up for Pinball in Custom Controls.

And in any case, (B ) as the right mouse button already moves the right flipper, so why would you also assign it to the right Alt?

No, the right mouse button doesn't move the right flipper. These pinball settings have been in for a long time now (and it's more comfortable to play Pinball with dpad left & (B ) than with the Pandora's often waggly L/R-triggers).

The ALT-buttons are rarely used on Amiga so there shouldn't be a problem.

Btw., you can easily assign mouse in custom controls, too...

Of course I'll remove that double mapping if a problem should be found.

john4p said:
Btw., you can easily assign mouse in custom controls, too...
Can you assign the entire d-pad to move the mouse? Maybe I didn't notice, I thought it was only for individual d-pad directions.

What about Y in its dual function of "space" and "slow down mouse movement"? I guess I'm not really sure when you'd need to slow down mouse movement like this... but might this conflict? Space is used more often than the Alts.

It just kinda seems to me like you're trying to cram in two modes into one, one for mouse-controlled games, and one for Pinball. Do you even need to use the mouse in pinball games? If not, maybe it would make sense to toggle this mode between mouse and pinball in the main menu? (like you can toggle X/A for the main joystick button in the Joystick mode).

Esn said:
Can you assign the entire d-pad to move the mouse? Maybe I didn't notice, I thought it was only for individual d-pad directions.
You can select "Custom" for Dpad which lets you assign keys to the dpad directions (incl. the buttons on joystick&mouse), but you can also just select "Joystick" or "Mouse" (which means dpad = mouse movement) in the custom controls menu.

Esn said:
What about Y in its dual function of "space" and "slow down mouse movement"? I guess I'm not really sure when you'd need to slow down mouse movement like this... but might this conflict? Space is used more often than the Alts.
Maybe. If it does (meaning a real example is provided) I'll change that mapping.

The slow mouse movement can be useful for some games when you need to click on some really tiny object (which you might constantly miss at standard speed with the dpad used as mouse).

Here was a concept for a menu I made awhile back. I know John said he wasn't interested but maybe someone else then would be? Anyway just throwing it out here for discussion. While it looks complex to code it really is basically just plain old text with a picture for a background making the gfx.

Basically it is two pages, one the file selector, the other the config. The buttons on the bottom of the page switch between screens. The numbers along side are "slots". They line up according to how you scroll the list. All you do while still in the game is hold the shoulder button (or other configured button) and press the number on the keyboard it is asking for. It then inserts that into DF0: (because most games only recognize one drive) without you having to exit the emu and play with menus.

This was just an old Idea I had for awhile so whatever.
amigamenu2.png

Hmm, that's acually kind of a neat idea, DaveC. But the menu has actually improved leaps and bounds since you made those mockups, and is a lot more intuitive now. Also if john4p implements my idea about being able to switch disks simply by pressing right or left in the main menu, it will take barely longer than in your method to switch disks; you'll just press Start, d-pad-right, Start, and you're done, for example.
Still, it would be neat to be able to switch disks without going back to the menu at all. It is true that I have yet to encounter a game that supports more than one drive, though I'm sure they're out there.

DaveC said:
Here was a concept for a menu I made awhile back. I know John said he wasn't interested but maybe someone else then would be? Anyway just throwing it out here for discussion. While it looks complex to code it really is basically just plain old text with a picture for a background making the gfx.

Basically it is two pages, one the file selector, the other the config. The buttons on the bottom of the page switch between screens. The numbers along side are "slots". They line up according to how you scroll the list. All you do while still in the game is hold the shoulder button (or other configured button) and press the number on the keyboard it is asking for. It then inserts that into DF0: (because most games only recognize one drive) without you having to exit the emu and play with menus.

This was just an old Idea I had for awhile so whatever.
amigamenu2.png
The gui gfx look nice. But with a gui rework I'd only want to begin when there's nothing else to be added to uae4all anymore.

Switching disks during emulation is a good idea and can be implemented now already.

Esn and you seem to only know ancient games though because most Amiga games from 1990-94 support 2 or even 4 drives.
So the four disk drives would of course stay in a reworked gui. Maybe if you could add gfx for the 4 disk drives as background gfx for their respective menu items that'd be neat.
See floppy disk drive: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=106

There also should be a 3rd menu for custom controls.

I had some weird bugs and crashes recently. I tried "Apprentice" and it crashed after a few seconds of play in FAME/C (much like Star Control), but worked under UAE. I tried to select a 2.0 kickrom (named kick20.rom) but the program crashed immediately. (by the way, should the ROMs be named kick13.rom etc, or should there be only one that's named kick.rom? The readme contradicts itself)
After I restarted from the crash, UAE4All didn't start with the dialogues as usual, but started in the main menu where it had crashed. I then tried to open a ROM which is taller than the resolution, and used L+R+dpad to scroll. As soon as I scrolled to the very top of the screen, the program crashed. I started it again. This time, it seemed to think that I was constantly pressing some button, even though I was not, and kept selecting things. Here's the .out file, I don't know if it shows anything:

Code:
=======================================================================================
PND_SCRIPT      : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS        : -p /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//UAE4ALLv1.1.1.19.pnd -e runme.sh -b uae4all -c 600
PND             : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/menu//UAE4ALLv1.1.1.19.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/uae4all
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : 600
EXENAME         : runme.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[03h45m06   START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[03h45m06    INFO ]   Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/pnd/uae4all"
[03h45m06    INFO ]   Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/uae4all=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/uae4all=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/uae4all"
[03h45m07 SUCCESS ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[03h45m07   START ]=== Set CPU speed ==================================================
[03h45m08    INFO ]   Setting to CPU-Speed 600 MHz
[03h45m08    INFO ]   /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments
[03h45m08    INFO ]   cpu_mhz_max set to 600
[03h45m08 SUCCESS ]=== Set CPU speed ==================================================
[03h45m09   START ]=== Starting the application (runme.sh ) ===========================
[03h45m09    INFO ]   mkdir: cannot create directory `saves': File exists
[03h45m09   ERROR ]   cp: cannot stat `defsaves/*': No such file or directory
[03h45m18    INFO ]   oshide: open /dev/tty: No such device or address
[03h46m31    INFO ]   omapsdl: opened tslib touchscreen
[03h46m31    INFO ]   omapsdl: in_evdev: found "gpio-keys" with 30 events (type 00100023)
[03h46m32    INFO ]   omapsdl: in_evdev: found "keypad" with 84 events (type 00100013)
[03h46m32    INFO ]   omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub0" with 3 events (type 00000007)
[03h46m32    INFO ]   omapsdl: in_evdev: found "nub1" with 3 events (type 00000007)
[03h46m32    INFO ]   omapsdl: skip /dev/input/event5 as ts
[03h46m33    INFO ]   omapsdl: found 5 evdev device(s).
[03h46m33    INFO ]   omapsdl: detected 800x480 'lcd' (0) screen attached to fb 1 and overlay 1
[03h46m33    INFO ]   starting sound thread..
[03h46m33    INFO ]   sound_thread started
[03h46m33    INFO ]   gp2x_set_sound: 44100/16bit/mono, 32 buffers of 4096 bytes
[03h46m33    INFO ]   switching to 320x240@16
[03h46m34    INFO ]   /dev/fb1: 320x240@16
[03h46m34    INFO ]   fbdev initialized.
[03h46m34    INFO ]   oshide: X vendor: The X.Org Foundation, rel: 10704000, display: :0.0, protocol ver: 11.0
[03h46m34    INFO ]   oshide: display is 800x480
[03h46m34    INFO ]   Open kick /mnt/utmp/uae4all/kickstarts/kick13.rom
[03h46m34    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m34    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m34    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m34    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m34    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m34    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m35    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m35    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m35    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m35    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m35    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m36    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m36    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m36    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m36    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m37    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m37    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m37    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m38    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m38    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m38    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m39    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m39    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m39    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m40    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m40    INFO ]   done
[03h46m40    INFO ]   Selecting file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m41    INFO ]   DF0 /mnt/utmp/uae4all/roms/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.adf
[03h46m41    INFO ]   No config file /mnt/utmp/uae4all/conf/EnchantedLand1990Thalion.conf!
[03h46m41    INFO ]   stopping sound thread..
[03h46m42    INFO ]   leaving sound_thread
[03h46m43 SUCCESS ]=== Starting the application (runme.sh ) ===========================
[03h46m44   START ]=== Reset CPU speed to 600 =========================================
[03h46m45    INFO ]   /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh: line 35: [: too many arguments
[03h46m45    INFO ]   cpu_mhz_max set to 600
[03h46m46 SUCCESS ]=== Reset CPU speed to 600 =========================================
[03h46m46   START ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
[03h46m47    INFO ]   cleanup done
[03h46m47 SUCCESS ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
Return code is : 2

That's why we have UAE core as 3rd option. Even though most games work fine with FAME/C a few crash but run well with UAE core.

In the kickstarts-folder they should be called kick12.rom, kick13.rom and kick20.rom. In the uae4all-folder a kick.rom will be recognized, too.

Yeah, if you scroll too far up or down with the screen positioning it'll crash. I'll set some limits to prevent that.

@ESN - there are two ways use kickstarts.

- You can simply put a kickstart rom in the pandora/appadata/uae4all directory named kick.rom and UAE4ALL will use this as a default

or

- You can put three differeent roms (selectable in GUI) in the following directory pandora/appdata/uae4all/kickstarts, they need to be named

kick12.rom
kick13.rom
kick20.rom

Edit - you beat me to it John! :)

Esn said:
Hmm, that's acually kind of a neat idea, DaveC. But the menu has actually improved leaps and bounds since you made those mockups, and is a lot more intuitive now. Also if john4p implements my idea about being able to switch disks simply by pressing right or left in the main menu, it will take barely longer than in your method to switch disks; you'll just press Start, d-pad-right, Start, and you're done, for example.
That is ok but many games were multiple. Sometimes you may have disk 3 inserted and it will ask for disk one. Your method is OK you just need to remember what disk you have in, then tap enough times to get to the one you want. Some games have 9! disks and that could get a bit confusing. With this method it is pretty foolproof, it says insert disk 3 and all you need to do is hit hotkey + 3 and you don't have to think about it or count taps etc. I would rather hit hotkey+4 than tap a bunch of times and if you miss by miscounting or spazzing out then get the wrong disk. Your method works , it is just a bit more rough.

john4p said:
The gui gfx look nice. But with a gui rework I'd only want to begin when there's nothing else to be added to uae4all anymore.
Like I said it looks much more complicated than it is. All of those gfx including psuedo buttons are just on a background .PNG. The real menu is just formatted text with a block cursor highlighting the selections.

Back