Beta Uae4All Additions

If you create an empty1.adf and an empty2.adf with the above method, then UAE4All will probably write into the same ads-file for any changes made to the adfs in uae4all (instead of directly changing the adfs).

You could try the following: use empty1.adf to save a game in Stunt Car Racer. Then reset and boot Workbench 1.3. Here insert empty2.adf and format it. Now reset again and load Stunt Car Racer. Try to load your previously saved game from empty1.adf. If the save is gone we know uae4all thinks both adfs are the same disk.

john4p said:
If you create an empty1.adf and an empty2.adf with the above method, then UAE4All will probably write into the same ads-file for any changes made to the adfs in uae4all (instead of directly changing the adfs).

You could try the following: use empty1.adf to save a game in Stunt Car Racer. Then reset and boot Workbench 1.3. Here insert empty2.adf and format it. Now reset again and load Stunt Car Racer. Try to load your previously saved game from empty1.adf. If the save is gone we know uae4all thinks both adfs are the same disk.

Thanks - i'll have a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an even faster example: just use empty1.adf to save, then reboot the game and insert the completely empty empty2.adf and try to load the saved game - it'll probably work (unfortunately).

john4p said:
Here's an even faster example: just use empty1.adf to save, then reboot the game and insert the completely empty empty2.adf and try to load the saved game - it'll probably work (unfortunately).

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happened. As you say it would be much better to include some blank adf's for save game disks.

Only progress I have made is that I found out that dd if=/dev/zero of=empty.adf count 1520 creates a HD disk rather than a DD disk.

I also tested this method of creating blank disks with PUAE and it has the same problem. Sounds like it could be very complicated to sort out..............Creating disks on WinUAE and transferring them across seems a better way!

It would be sooooo cool to be able to change scaling on the fly!

Hopefully Notaz has the time and inclination!

I hope, too. It's the biggest missing feature.

@tuki_cat: Thanks for your tests. Okay, then let's just provide plenty of empty adfs. They could be gzipped to adzs so they will be tiny each.

tuki_cat said:
I found out that dd if=/dev/zero of=empty.adf count 3520 creates a HD disk
fixed ;)

john4p said:
I hope, too. It's the biggest missing feature.

@tuki_cat: Thanks for your tests. Okay, then let's just provide plenty of empty adfs. They could be gzipped to adzs so they will be tiny each.

tuki_cat said:
I found out that dd if=/dev/zero of=empty.adf count 3520 creates a HD disk
fixed ;)

In any binary release it is easy to include 10 or 20 blank disks because they can be just in including in any zip file. Getting the run_me.sh to copy these files from the binary is a little more difficult (for me anyway!). I'm working on an amended run_me.sh that copies the directory with the blank disks to the pandora/appdata/uae4all folder when it is run for the first time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Update:

• Chip Mem 512kB/1MB/2MB and Bogo Mem 0/512kB/1MB selectable now
  • Pandora CPU speed can be set in the GUI now
  • Memory & CPU speed settings can be saved/restored "per game" and "general"
  • last used directory for diskload-menu(s) gets saved&restored
  • R-trigger + (Y) is now autofire on/off also in Custom controls mode
  • L-trigger is now only in mouse/pinball control mode mapped to left ALT
  • refresh rate 50Hz/60Hz is selected in the GUI now (not prior to starting the emulator)
  • Bugfix: screen-positioning gets saved/restored correctly again
  • Bugfix: Dpad isn't mapped to joystick anymore in custom controls "custom dpad" mode

Old config-files don't seem to work correctly with this version anymore.
Thus better delete conf/* in your installation.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y7bgn0dcftmnsdc

Nub edition: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vj8bslatz62cl8c

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ayiqi8ii1a92u2o

@tuki_cat: Here are 20 empty, but different ADFs: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c4c6ch8mdbeba4e

Esn said:
Well, as I said, it does seem to be the case.
It's fixed now.

john4p said:
Update:

• Chip Mem 512kB/1MB/2MB and Bogo Mem 0/512kB/1MB selectable now
  • Pandora CPU speed can be set in the GUI now
  • Memory & CPU speed settings can be saved/restored "per game" and "general"
  • last used directory for diskload-menu(s) gets saved&restored
  • R-trigger + (Y) is now autofire on/off also in Custom controls mode
  • L-trigger is now only in mouse/pinball control mode mapped to left ALT
  • refresh rate 50Hz/60Hz is selected in the GUI now (not prior to starting the emulator)
  • Bugfix: screen-positioning gets saved/restored correctly again
  • Bugfix: Dpad isn't mapped to joystick anymore in custom controls "custom dpad" mode

Old config-files don't seem to work correctly with this version anymore.
Thus better delete conf/* in your installation.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y7bgn0dcftmnsdc

Nub edition: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vj8bslatz62cl8c

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ayiqi8ii1a92u2o

@tuki_cat: Here are 20 empty, but different ADFs: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?c4c6ch8mdbeba4e

Esn said:
Well, as I said, it does seem to be the case.
It's fixed now.

Thanks! - I´ll PND these up and post them in the usual places

john4p said:
tuki_cat said:
I´ll PND these up and post them in the usual places
Thanks again.

I have posted the updated version at the repo. I also created a script that automatically creates a blankdisks folder in pandora/appdata/uae4all with 20 blank disks when the PND is first run. i will also update the version at openhandhelds.

Binaries here for those who wish to run from the runme.sh

v1.1.1.19 - http://www.mediafire.com/?uhh8jhx4jjleq72

v1.1.1.19a_Nubs - http://www.mediafire.com/?dx63dydls8y5p8z

Wow! Thank you so much for implementing some of my suggestions! Overclocking is really a wonderful feature! :)

/dance

Hi again! A few notes and a few questions.

1st note: it is possible to move around using the keys in Dragonflight, after all! It apparently uses the numberpad. By customly assigning them to the dpad directions (i.e. numpad2=down), the control becomes a lot better. There's just one thing- would it be possible somehow to assign the d-pad diagonals to the numpad diagonals as well? Perhaps by saying that dpad down+dpad left = numpad 1, for example. Currently, pressing diagonals confuses it, so it doesn't allow you to move diagonally.

I imagine there must've been more than one game that used the numpad to move around, so this could be useful.

Another question I have concerns save states. What's the proper way to load savestates that are from disk 2, for example? I did an experiment: started a game of Dragonflight, saved a state (for disk 2, which is where the main game starts), then immediately after tried to load it. UAE4All crashed. I didn't have a long file name for the ROM, either; it was called "dragonflight-2.adf".

Finally, I have an idea to make disk swapping quicker. When you're in first screen of the the main menu of the emulator, please make it so that when you have a disk slot selected, you can press left/right on the d-pad to cycle through disks in alphabetical order. I think that would speed things up, since most of the time it would just be the next disk over that you need.

Esn said:
Hi again! A few notes and a few questions.

1st note: it is possible to move around using the keys in Dragonflight, after all! It apparently uses the numberpad. By customly assigning them to the dpad directions (i.e. numpad2=down), the control becomes a lot better. There's just one thing- would it be possible somehow to assign the d-pad diagonals to the numpad diagonals as well? Perhaps by saying that dpad down+dpad left = numpad 1, for example. Currently, pressing diagonals confuses it, so it doesn't allow you to move diagonally.

I imagine there must've been more than one game that used the numpad to move around, so this could be useful.
Okay, I'll just add "Numpad" as 4th Dpad option - assigning numpad 1-9 (except 5) to the dpad's 8 directions.

Esn said:
Another question I have concerns save states. What's the proper way to load savestates that are from disk 2, for example? I did an experiment: started a game of Dragonflight, saved a state (for disk 2, which is where the main game starts), then immediately after tried to load it. UAE4All crashed. I didn't have a long file name for the ROM, either; it was called "dragonflight-2.adf".
The savestate is named after whatever disk was in DF0:. Just insert that disk in DF0: again, press Start or [R] to start the emulator and then [L]+L to load the savestate (or enter the GUI and use the Savestates menu).
After a savestate has been loaded the audio and video will be a bit out of sync - just enter and leave the gui and they'll be (and stay) in sync.

Btw., if you save a state you should give the emulator a few seconds to really complete the saving before you load the state again.

Esn said:
Finally, I have an idea to make disk swapping quicker. When you're in first screen of the the main menu of the emulator, please make it so that when you have a disk slot selected, you can press left/right on the d-pad to cycle through disks in alphabetical order. I think that would speed things up, since most of the time it would just be the next disk over that you need.
Good idea.

Thanks for explaining! I guess I probably loaded the game too soon after I saved it. Because it worked the next time I tried.

I think I might've found some sort of bug in the "nubs" version. I loaded my saved game from Dragonflight, moved around; it seemed fullspeed. But as soon as I moved the left nub (to move the mouse), the game slowed down substantially, and the music started skipping. I stopped moving the mouse. After a while, it gradually became fullspeed again.

I was using the FAME/C core, and 640x480 (hardware scaling).

Speaking of cores, there's a 4th option in the first menu that's blank. Does that do anything?

I'll look into that problem tonight. The 4th blank menu item does nothing and wasn't intended. It won't be there in the next version.

john4p said:
I'll look into that problem tonight. The 4th blank menu item does nothing and wasn't intended. It won't be there in the next version.

Hi,

is it possible to create a screenshot using a short cut? i see there is a screenshots folder so i assume the feature does exist

Thanks again for your work so far, I have been playing around with this for a while today and it´s got some great features now.

Back