Beta Uae4All Additions

@tuki_cat: Just tried the link and everything works as usual on my Pandora. There's another update at the end of this post which also incorporates the (maybe) stabler vsync.

TitanUranus said:
Is there no way to have the disk drive status line displayed in the unused side borders?
It is possible - but it'd mean more effort than one would think.

Instead I just opted for what Michoko asked for: a shortcut to show/hide the status line.

Two small updates:

• Press L-trigger + D to show/hide status line (disk drive activity)
  • slowed down input in menus (popular request)

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6gd0kok2hmt5gh0

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?ggt047lkjjsvj2v

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the fast update. I will test it out later. Pinball Dreams really showed the vsync issue - made you think your eyes had gone mad.

john4p said:
@tuki_cat: Just tried the link and everything works as usual on my Pandora. There's another update at the end of this post which also incorporates the (maybe) stabler vsync.

TitanUranus said:
Is there no way to have the disk drive status line displayed in the unused side borders?
It is possible - but it'd mean more effort than one would think.

Instead I just opted for what Michoko asked for: a shortcut to show/hide the status line.

Two small updates:

• Press L-trigger + D to show/hide status line (disk drive activity)
  • slowed down input in menus (popular request)

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6gd0kok2hmt5gh0

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?ggt047lkjjsvj2v

@john4p - I'm still having the same issue, when I press the R-trigger in Joystick mode the virtual keyboard doesn't show up. I tried it with the previous version that I PND'd and all works fine, i even tested my R-trigger to make sure it was working!

The strange thing is that when I press the R-trigger in joystick mode it is behaving like the virtual keyboard is working, you can move the d-pad and use the x key to select letters, numbers, etc but just cannot see any of the virtual keyboard graphics so you don't know what you are selecting. I also cannot change the joystick/mouse/stylus mode using start until you exit the virtual keyboard using the L-trigger. It is like the virtual keyboard is coming up but not being displayed in the screen.

I have tried using both the runme.sh to start it and a PND and the same problem occurs, this is happening with both of the new Vsync releases.

Has anyone else had the same problem? PCP & snurty, have you had any issues?

The new status shortcut and slow down in the menu works great

When trying to get UAE4All to work correctly with notaz' SDL (unsuccessfully) I commented out anything that drew to the sdl surface except the emulated gfx. Forgot that this included the virtual keyboard when I reverted everything, sorry.

Now it works again:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7844jo6oosn4jy7

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?ggt047lkjjsvj2v (same link as before because vkbd was still activated there)

I only had the time to do some quick tests, but from what I tried (Pinball Dreams for example), vsync has still a tendency to not work after some time. A simple thing to try: run Pinball Dreams, select a table, then leave the game in "demonstration" mode (where the screen goes up and down, showing the various table features). You'll see that after a while, the table seems to be "floating". I then start a game, and I get a lot of tearing. But if I play for a few seconds, the vsync can eventually fix itself and I get again a stable display, without ever pressing the SELECT key. Maybe overclocking will remove this behaviour (I'm currently at 600 Mhz), I'll do further tests.

About the menu sensitivity, well I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is almost worse than before ;) Now it is painful to register a keypress, and most of the time I have to press two or three times the dpad to move the cursor in the menu. Normal behaviour would be to immediately react to the first press, then wait for a delay before processing the next one. Here it seems the delay is repeated all the time in a loop, preventing for some events to register.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your work, and the L + D addition is really a VERY useful feature, I'm sure I'll use it all the time, because it is very easy to trigger, and allows to see if the game has stalled or is still loading.

Cheers!
Frédéric

Michoko said:
About the menu sensitivity, well I don't want to sound ungrateful, but it is almost worse than before ;) Now it is painful to register a keypress, and most of the time I have to press two or three times the dpad to move the cursor in the menu. Normal behaviour would be to immediately react to the first press, then wait for a delay before processing the next one. Here it seems the delay is repeated all the time in a loop, preventing for some events to register.
You're right. I'll do it properly then. ;)

Thanks for the testing!

So far so good with the testing, although I don't have a working version of Pinball dreams so can't test the Vsync that way.

The new quick option for the disk status bar is great, I will amend the Eeadme_Pandora.txt and post later.

Thanks for your work, have you got you Pandora out of your car yet?

Wooot! Downloading right now! John4p and Notaz, now we have a winning team for sure! :)

Thanks a lot!

Made some quick tests. It works perfectly, the scrollings are now silky smooth all the time! :)

It seems that some of the features have disappeared though. For example, the F12 key to toggle fullscreen/window mode doesn't seem to work any longer. And in default (Joystick) mode, I'm not able to use the right nub to click as I was before. I have to switch to mouse mode, and then use LEFT and RIGHT triggers to click. I don't know if it's related to the SDL version change, or just a piece of code you disabled during your tests ;)

Esn said:
EDIT: Oh whoops, looks like it's not in PND form... is there going to be one?
I'm sure tuki_cat is willing to PND this up later.
@tuki_cat: the new runme.sh needs to be put into the PND.

But if anyone wants to use this right away - it's easy:

Just extract the archive's content to your SD-card - you'll now have the folder /media/mmcblk0p1/uae4all/.
Put a valid kick.rom into the uae4all-folder (or a kick13.rom into the uae4all/kickstarts-folder).
Execute runme.sh in the uae4all-folder.

Michoko said:
It seems that some of the features have disappeared though. For example, the F12 key to toggle fullscreen/window mode doesn't seem to work any longer. And in default (Joystick) mode, I'm not able to use the right nub to click as I was before. I have to switch to mouse mode, and then use LEFT and RIGHT triggers to click. I don't know if it's related to the SDL version change, or just a piece of code you disabled during your tests ;)
Yes, that seems related to the new SDL. So probably no windowed mode anymore. But for the mouse clicks in joystick-mode a solution needs to be found.

Well, I don't want to keep changing locations for everything (I already have things set up in the uae4all appdata folder), so I think I'll wait a bit until the PND comes.

I hope that you guys update the PND in the Repo as well; otherwise, the whole point of the new development with PNDStore (automatic user updates) is lost.

@john4p -glad you got it out ok!

I don't have my Pandora with me, I'll have it tonight; I'll do a PND then

john4p said:
Thanks for the info milkshake and thanks in advance for the PND @tuki_cat. If you find the time, please add this to the repo then, too.

New version with fixed input sensitivity in fileload-menu:

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?2zfj2nlx2cqc8qo

Source: http://www.mediafire.com/?zvsqeuirq65qfv1

No problem, I'll have my pandora later so can arrange the PND then. I will also update the readme with the new changes (quick disk activity bar, etc).

I do know about the repo either, I will look into it.

why dont you PM EvilDragon get him to add you as an aditional maintainer, then you can update Uae4All also in the repo aswell as EvilDragon.

Back