U. S. 2008 Election Thread

Xmoon said:
Obama is too young.
I hate to double post, but this is an incredibly ignorant comment. First off, to make such an outrageous claim, you should probably know American history first. Here's a little lesson:

Youngest president ever: Theodore Roosevelt, who assumed office when McKinley was assassinated. He is widely regarded as one of the best presidents this nation has had. He assumed office at age 42, 5 years younger than Obama ;)

Second youngest: John F. Kennedy at age 43.

I wouldn't spout nonsense about European politics, so please don't do so with American politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
blah, blah, blah. John McCain looks like a freshly rooted potato.

potato_2.gif
John%20McCain.jpg

...see?

I'm from europe but I would vote for Obama (of course). I think the most people here would vote for Obama. :D
Somehow, the US Elecction is a very big theme here in german Media (currently behind the worldwide finance/ stockcrisis of course ) I wonder if german elections are a theme in US Media at all :lol:

Well, I always have trouble to understand the US election procedure, it looks so horrible complicated and why do tehy need that much money for the election? If USA modernize their election system completely, they could save a huge ammount of money, they would have more partys to vote and a more interesting and mixed gouvernment.
...but somehow I think they don't want a modern election system....

I have seen US voting Ballots and they look not very well designed. This and these strange indirect voting system plus faulty voting machines makes the whole thing not better. Here in the Wiki-article is a pic of a typical german voting ballot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballot We have a DIRECT election, so EVERYONE directly votes (if you are at least 18 years old ), NO indirect voting, no Electoral College etc...
You simple make a X (or better 2 X, one for the constituency vote and one for the party vote)
If the USA would have such an election system, many things there would be more easy...and better for the people. ^_^

What a low life lying hunk of crap drama queen:

He tenaciously pressed the presidential candidate on the accusation repeatedly hurled about by his running mate, Sarah Palin, that Barack Obama "pals around with terrorists." And he eventually got McCain to concede (if only in the most backhanded and ungracious way) that the charges—which happen to be ridiculous on their face—were just "words."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/164384

Username said:
Xmoon said:
The Simpons, Family guy are deforming the force of America.

No, this is:
pancakeonstick.jpg
:blink: they actually sell those in America? and I thought homer was being OTT when he Baconed up a sausage.

If those don't scare the crap out of you;

Mr. Powell, who is of the pragmatist camp and has been critical of the Bush administration’s conduct of the war, was said by friends in recent months to be disturbed by some of the neoconservatives who have surrounded Mr. McCain as foreign policy advisers in his presidential campaign. The McCain campaign’s top foreign policy aide is Randy Scheunemann, who was a foreign policy adviser to former Senators Trent Lott and Bob Dole and who has longtime ties to neoconservatives. In 2002, Mr. Scheunemann was a founder of the hawkish Committee for the Liberation of Iraq and was an enthusiastic supporter of the Iraqi exile and Pentagon favorite, Ahmad Chalabi, who was viewed with suspicion and distaste at the State Department when Mr. Powell was secretary of state.

“As gifted as he is, he is essentially going to execute the Republican agenda, the orthodoxy of the Republican agenda, with a new face and a maverick approach to it, and he’d be quite good at it,” Mr. Powell said. “But I think we need a generational change.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10...orses-obama/?em

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Xmoon said:
Obama is too young.
I hate to double post, but this is an incredibly ignorant comment. First off, to make such an outrageous claim, you should probably know American history first. Here's a little lesson:

Youngest president ever: Theodore Roosevelt, who assumed office when McKinley was assassinated. He is widely regarded as one of the best presidents this nation has had. He assumed office at age 42, 5 years younger than Obama ;)

I wouldn't spout nonsense about European politics, so please don't do so with American politics.

Hello. :)

Kennedy was really bleh. He wasn't a good president.

I understand you think I spout nonsense about american politics. But I hope you understand english is not my native language and I'm pathetic learning languages. :(

I 've written that I'm european because all USA people understand that I have not deep knowledge about american politics.

I doubt you know about Barcelona's people opinion about war on Iraq years ago.
I was there.

But my intuition now is that Obama is really more bleh than Mc Cain.
I know that Creatonism's Palin is really stupid and these kind of things.
But as a president McCain will be better.

Xmoon said:
daclassicgamingmaster said:
Xmoon said:
Obama is too young.

Hello. :)

Kennedy was really bleh. He wasn't a good president.

I understand you think I spout nonsense about american politics. But I hope you understand english is not my native language and I'm pathetic learning languages. :(

I 've written that I'm european because all USA people understand that I have not deep knowledge about american politics.

I doubt you know about Barcelona's people opinion about war on Iraq years ago.
I was there.

But my intuition now is that Obama is really more bleh than Mc Cain.
I know that Creatonism's Palin is really stupid and these kind of things.
But as a president McCain will be better.

don't comment on politics if you don't follow them or keep up with them. funny how you seem so anti imperealism but then you support mccain.

and kennedy was awesome.

A list?
Let's.
Soldier?
Check.
Flight?
True.
Commie?
NO.
Rich?
Quite.
And was he the true cousin of Sir Jesus Christ?
You fuckin' know he was, man.

Made love
Read minds
Went inside of more than half of mankind
Let us down, but shit, how could we mind?
He was a handsome devil but the kind of devil you like

Wore suits...
Sometimes
Starred in movies that appeared in our minds
He knew the secrets of all space and time
and if he liked you he would tell you but you had to unwind

JFK

100 Economists(5 Nobel) Warn That With Current Weak Financial Conditions Barack Obama's Proposals Run A High Risk Of Throwing The US Into A Deep Recession

Barack Obama argues that his proposals to raise tax rates and halt international trade agreements would benefit the American economy. They would do nothing of the sort. Economic analysis and historical experience show that they would do the opposite. They would reduce economic growth and decrease the number of jobs in America. Moreover, with the credit crunch, the housing slump, and high energy prices weakening the U.S. economy, his proposals run a high risk of throwing the economy into a deep recession. It was exactly such misguided tax hikes and protectionism, enacted when the U.S. economy was weak in the early 1930s, that greatly increased the severity of the Great Depression.

We are very concerned with Barack Obama's opposition to trade agreements such as the pending one with Colombia, the new one with Central America, or the established one with Canada and Mexico. Exports from the United States to other countries create jobs for Americans. Imports make goods available to Americans at lower prices and are a particular benefit to families and individuals with low incomes. International trade is also a powerful source of strength in a weak economy. In the second quarter of this year, for example, increased international trade did far more to stimulate the U.S. economy than the federal government's "stimulus" package.

Ironically, rather than supporting international trade, Barack Obama is now proposing yet another so-called stimulus package, which would do very little to grow the economy. And his proposal to finance the package with higher taxes on oil would raise oil prices directly and by reducing exploration and production.

We are equally concerned with his proposals to increase tax rates on labor income and investment. His dividend and capital gains tax increases would reduce investment and cut into the savings of millions of Americans. His proposals to increase income and payroll tax rates would discourage the formation and expansion of small businesses and reduce employment and take-home pay, as would his mandates on firms to provide expensive health insurance.

After hearing such economic criticism of his proposals, Barack Obama has apparently suggested to some people that he might postpone his tax increases, perhaps to 2010. But it is a mistake to think that postponing such tax increases would prevent their harmful effect on the economy today. The prospect of such tax rate increases in 2010 is already a drag on the economy. Businesses considering whether to hire workers today and expand their operations have time horizons longer than a year or two, so the prospect of higher taxes starting in 2009 or 2010 reduces hiring and investment in 2008.

In sum, Barack Obama's economic proposals are wrong for the American economy. They defy both economic reason and economic experience.

Barack Obama is satan. But you blind people don't want to see. :D

More about McCain&Obama:

Politico

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has boasted of his time working as a civil rights lawyer in Chicago. But the boutique law firm that employed him for parts of 11 years — now known as Miner, Barnhill & Galland — also handled matters that don’t fit under the civil rights umbrella, including contracts, real estate deals, incorporations and civil defense.

Obama, by some accounts, spent as much as 30 percent of his 3,700 billable hours on the last category.

Neither his campaign nor the firm will release a list of the cases on which he worked.

Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt asserted that “Sens. Obama and Biden have taken voluntary transparency steps as legislators and candidates that have allowed their constituents, the media and their political opponents to fully examine both men.”

LaBolt pointed to lists of hundreds of the firm’s clients that Obama attached to the mandatory personal financial disclosure statements he filed for each of his eight years in the Illinois state Senate.

Included on the firm’s client list was Rezmar, a development company co-owned by Obama’s disgraced former fundraiser, Tony Rezko, as well as developer William Moorehead. Moorehead was convicted of stealing more than $1 million from public housing projects he managed and developments he co-owned with Obama’s former boss, Allison S. Davis. Some of the thefts occurred while Moorehead was a client of the firm.

Obama billed between five and seven hours to Rezmar-linked projects, including incorporating nonprofits connected to the company, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Obama’s campaign declined to answer when Politico asked if he did any work for Moorehead.

(...)

After John McCain couldn’t immediately recall in an interview how many houses he and Cindy owned, the couple’s finances become an issue in the race, with Obama hammering McCain for being out of touch with regular folks’ economic concerns.

But beyond property records (which showed that Cindy McCain owns eight homes) and mandatory disclosure statements filed by John McCain (which showed that he owns relatively little, while Cindy and her children hold assets worth at least $24 million), McCain has been comparatively unforthcoming about his wealth.

McCain, who maintains separate finances from his wife, released his full tax returns for 2006 and 2007, while Cindy McCain, heiress to a beer distributorship fortune worth as much as $100 million, only released the first two pages of her returns for those years.

Biden and Palin also have released only two years worth of their tax returns, but their finances are substantially less robust than the McCain’s. In the years since it’s become de rigueur for presidential candidates to release their tax returns, only Ronald Reagan in 1980 disclosed less tax information than McCain.

Obama, by contrast, has released his returns dating back to 2000.

johnmccain.com
no thanks
you can get news from the news, not information. i take my political statistics, surveys, and reports like I take my scientific studies. peer reviewed and published in a respected journal.
also "Imports make goods available to Americans at lower prices and are a particular benefit to families and individuals with low incomes."
they also remove american jobs. not all importing is bad, of course, but I also find it funny that most of the importing is done from countries that the US should really have an embargo with. yeah, the un sure is impartial :rolleyes:

100 economists? Out of how many?

The Economist Magazine polled 683 members of the National Bureau of Economic Research and they came up with this:
CUS955.gif

Back