TV Out.

Re: Video Out Cables

On the Pandora, will the S-Video out work in combination with a composite adapter? I've found that with the composite adapter some devices are unable to detect that it has been plugged into the TV. My laptop doesn't detect that it is connected to the TV and won't send any video to it unless I'm going straight from S-Video to S-Video. I really hope that the Pandora supports this; many TVs only have composite inputs on the front where you are most likely to want to plug your Pandora.

Re: Huh? The TV-Out is S-Video?

Well, I have the same problem. Is there any chance of a cable that has built-in composite?
If I use a SVHS/Composite adaptor, can I use it with an old television (PAL)?

Many modern TVs support s-vid through scart. If not, you can always build an adapter or buy it for like 30 cents

So is the video out cable really the breakout cable? I.E. does it have the GPI/O and the line audio in addition to the amped audio and the s-video?
if so, I definitely want to add it onto my order. If it's not the full cable though, I'll just wait.

sry, to ask

but the video output is unique to the pandora, unless you get a converter

if so ill add it to the order, im not paying £7 later on for delivery

Would it be compatible with my GP2X S-Video TV-out cable? The connector looks at least similiar from the thumbnail... :p

trooper said:
CC_machine said:
Would it be compatible with my GP2X S-Video TV-out cable? The connector looks at least similiar from the thumbnail... :p

No.

Trooper

what about my question, can i buy it in a shop here or would it have to be ordered online

thanks

Forget S-Video or composite out, I'd like a component out (for actual 480p output) myself. You'll have to forgive me if this was discussed on the old forums at some point but I'm somewhat late to the party even though I've been half-following Pandora's development for awhile now. :p

Googer said:
Forget S-Video or composite out, I'd like a component out (for actual 480p output) myself. You'll have to forgive me if this was discussed on the old forums at some point but I'm somewhat late to the party even though I've been half-following Pandora's development for awhile now. :p
Unfortunately, that's not an option. We get composite and S-video because they're essentially free (built in support on the SoC). Anything more (component, VGA, DVI, etc) would have required additional hardware that we didn't have room for, as well as add considerably to the overall cost. There was simply no workable solution to the problem.

Chip said:
Googer said:
Unfortunately, that's not an option. We get composite and S-video because they're essentially free (built in support on the SoC). Anything more (component, VGA, DVI, etc) would have required additional hardware that we didn't have room for, as well as add considerably to the overall cost. There was simply no workable solution to the problem.

Indeed, MWeston stated that they nixed the idea because it was basically just an expensive gimmick (look I can output HDMI from my pandora! Too bad I have no reason to have full HD content on there to begin with). They had to balance features with cost, and as Chip put, too much cost for not a lot of return.

S-Video with new circuitry almost looks as good as RGB on lo-res games. I'd recommend you first try to use the SCART S-Video capabilities before downgrading to composite.

Since the Pandora will emulate many low scanrate consoles and arcade games, it will provide a quite excellent picture if it is programmable enough to output 240p (which shouldn't be a problem).

As soon as it happens, Pandora will be better than a PC with an ArcadeVGA or a downscan converter (worth lots of dough). The TV-Out in most PC video cards only outputs interlaced, which make lo-res games a filtered and flickery mess.

Pandora has arguably the best screen for a handheld to date, so games will look great both inside and outside the Pandora.

I figured it was probably a cost / space issue of sorts that may have been limiting to no better than S-Video output when I noticed that was the only option for a TV-out cable on the preorder page. :p Not a huge deal really since I really only intend on using my Pandora as a portable, but the option for 480p out would have been nice anyway. ;)

So ... as far as a S-Video to RCA adapter goes, will this work just fine?

edit: I reckon this would be better unless you really want to make an extended run with the previous RCA female adapter.

These would work?

Yeah, that would work. It basically combines back the Y and C separated signals into the composite agglomeration that your TV will have to separate internally once again, anyway...

Picture will be a little blurrier and carry artifacts, though.

SCART generally has support for S-Video on some pins.

ashdjones said:
I have a 21-inch telly from the early nineties I think.

Yes it's old, yes it's kind of flickering now and again and making popping sounds in the tube... but why should I throw it away? It's always served me well, I bought the thing for £60 just before the Dreamcast launch (for Dreamcast playing) and it was actually my first telly.

Bad points: No Nicam, No S-video (i'm guessing), no NTSC mode

I'm no expert but I'm guessing maybe the popping sound is actually arcing somewhere in the TV. Unfortunatly it probably isn't worth repairing as the price of repair would proabably be above the price of an equivilent new TV. Alas that's the throwaway society we live in :( .

ljones

ljones said:
I'm no expert but I'm guessing maybe the popping sound is actually arcing somewhere in the TV. Unfortunatly it probably isn't worth repairing as the price of repair would proabably be above the price of an equivilent new TV. Alas that's the throwaway society we live in :( .

ljones

Well if I were like the rest of society, i'd have thrown it away 4 years ago when it started to glitch out, who knows how long it will last and when the tube will finally blow?

What connector is on the Pandora side of the cable? Is there a picture/render of it?

Thanks

Sandman said:
What connector is on the Pandora side of the cable? Is there a picture/render of it?

Thanks
There are no pictures of the Pandora's sides but we can find out what port is used just by looking at the Pandora factsheets. The port that is on the Pandora-side of the cable is the S-video port - EDIT: Nope, it doesn't use a standard S-video input. Looks like you will have to buy the Pandora tv-out cables as no other ones would work. Since it outputs both S-video and audio it might be some proprietary jack like an iPod dock connector

Back