Release TV-out configurator

Caine

Hardcore Member
Here is an initial version of a TV-out configuration tool.

This application is intended for use on (the currently unreleased) Zaxxon Hotfix 6. I'm not packaging it as a PND yet as it most likely won't work on other versions.

Currently I have neither a TV-out cable nor an installation of Hotfix 6, so I have to rely on you guys to do some testing for me. The op_tvout.sh script by notaz takes care of the actual configuration and my own tests indicate proper invocation of said script (though I can't properly test the entire script myself).

Preview:

eqvy2g.png

Fine grained control of the position and size is provided by the spin-buttons. For more coarse grained control you can drag the four edges of the sub-window in the overscan pane (they might be a bit tricky to hit using the touchscreen).

Installation and startup instructions:

• Download from here.
    Beta2. This is mainly a maintenance release, there are few user visible changes.
    Changelog

Modified the initial profiles a bit. Removed test, added a NTSC profile with EDs defaults.

[*]Optimized event handling a bit. Though, I suspect you will only notice this if I introduced a bug :p

[*]Commented the code to simplify future maintenance.

[*]Extract to your SD card.

[*]Start TVoutConfig.py.

[*]Test and try to break the tool.

[*]Report back with your results.

Thanks in advance. Suggestions and comments are most welcome.

ED, if it functions properly and you would like to add it to the firmware then feel free to do so.

Credits:

• Caine: author of the tool.
  • Notaz: kernel support, op_tvout.sh, advice & feedback.
  • David Vignoni: creation of the application's icon (icon was taken from here).
  • FaeMinx: creation of a clean version of the Pandora logo.
  • Blue Protoman: for finding a nice application icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an initial version of a TV-out configuration tool.

This application is intended for use on (the currently unreleased) Zaxxon Hotfix 6. I'm not packaging it as a PND yet as it most likely won't work on other versions.

Currently I have neither a TV-out cable nor an installation of Hotfix 6, so I have to rely on you guys to do some testing for me. The op_tvout.sh script by notaz takes care of the actual configuration and my own tests indicate proper invocation of said script (though I can't properly test the entire script myself).

Preview:

eqvy2g.png

Fine grained control of the position and size is provided by the spin-buttons. For more coarse grained control you can drag the four edges of the sub-window in the overscan pane (they might be a bit tricky to hit using the touchscreen).

Installation and startup instructions:

• Download from here
  • Extract to your SD card.
  • Start TVoutConfig.py.
  • Test and try to break the tool.
  • Report back with your results.

Thanks in advance. Suggestions and comments are most welcome.

ED, if it functions properly and you would like to add it to the firmware then feel free to do so.

Credits:

• Caine: author of the tool.
  • Notaz: kernel support, op_tvout.sh, advice & feedback.
  • David Vignoni: creation of the application's icon. Icon was taken from here.
  • FaeMinx: creation of a clean version of the Pandora logo.
  • Blue Protoman: for finding a nice application icon.

Any work on the tv out cable is appreciated.Thanks.

hi

doesn't seem to want to write out

get error message in terminal:

Code:
gksudo: invalide option -- 'c'

tested on HF6 Beta1 and HF6 Beta 2

Those who want NTSC to work without waiting for next hotfix update can copy http://git.openpando...pts/op_tvout.sh to /usr/pandora/scripts/
I already included that script within the archive. It currently uses the included version. This obviously needs to be patched if the configurator itself gets included.

[edit]Didn't know the script also worked for older hotfixes.[/edit]

hi

doesn't seem to want to write out

get error message in terminal:

Code:
gksudo: invalide option -- 'c'

tested on HF6 Beta1 and HF6 Beta 2
That would be silly error number one. I forgot to quote the arguments to the script. I updated the download.

The program worked great. I had to go to the standard "pandora ->settings ->tv-out-settings" first, then was able to run "read active settings". After that I was able to tweak the overscan and picture size with the position and size numerical settings. Finally I saved a new profile.

With the app I was able to get my TV (42 inch 1080P LCD) to display perfectly 100% of the screen with no overscan. Awesome.

Great work guys!

The program worked great. I had to go to the standard "pandora ->settings ->tv-out-settings" first, then was able to run "read active settings". After that I was able to tweak the overscan and picture size with the position and size numerical settings. Finally I saved a new profile.

With the app I was able to get my TV (42 inch 1080P LCD) to display perfectly 100% of the screen with no overscan. Awesome.

Great work guys!
Displayed across all the screen?Sounds ace. Will look good on my 32 inch hd ready telly then.

I had to go to the standard "pandora ->settings ->tv-out-settings" first, then was able to run "read active settings".
Why, just to get some proper default values for ntsc or was something breaking?

The new beta2 release has includes EDs defaults for ntsc now as well (no real need to upgrade unless you want to hunt for bugs).

Anyway, glad you are happy with it. A satisfied user is the greatest reward.

The normal defaults were:

ntsc: 40,15 (position) 655,455 (size)

pal: 35,35 (position) 658,520 (size)

As mentioned, the new version includes both of these. The test profile was just that, it had very wacky settings. Those profiles expose no settings which you cannot easily set using the tools itself, but I acknowledge that it is useful to have a starting point.

I had to go to the standard "pandora ->settings ->tv-out-settings" first, then was able to run "read active settings".
Why, just to get some proper default values for ntsc or was something breaking?

The new beta2 release has includes EDs defaults for ntsc now as well (no real need to upgrade unless you want to hunt for bugs).

Anyway, glad you are happy with it. A satisfied user is the greatest reward.

Just running the TVoutConfig.py script did not seem to enable the TV out, but I could see some brief flashing on the screen, just no image.

Once I ran the standard tv-out-settings (I chose NTSC, s-video, non-overlay script), the TV out kicked on.

Then when I ran the TVoutConfig.py script I could see it on the TV screen, and I was able to read the settings and tweak from there.

Wrath-of-Khan - Yes, full screen all the way across the screen, with no overscan AND the correct aspect ratio! It really looks perfect.

Just running the TVoutConfig.py script did not seem to enable the TV out, but I could see some brief flashing on the screen, just no image.
In the initial configuration the TV-out is disabled. Just a silly question, but did you click the enable TV-out checkbox and then write settings? If so, then there might be a more serious issue we need to track.

In the initial configuration the TV-out is disabled. Just a silly question, but did you click the enable TV-out checkbox and then write settings? If so, then there might be a more serious issue we need to track.

Yes, I did click the "enable TV-out" checkbox, and I could see the screen flashing, so it was doing something. It just was not turning on the tv output, or the output was so far out of range that my TV could not display it (this certainly could be the case).

As soon as I kicked it on with the standard tv-out-setting script it worked exactly as expected.

Just clicking enable TV-out alone wouldn't do a thing. It merely changes a value in memory. Until you click write-settings, absolutely nothing should happen.

For performance reasons I don't update the system every time a change is made, but I'll admit that enable TV-out looks like it does. Perhaps I should change that.

Just clicking enable TV-out alone wouldn't do a thing. It merely changes a value in memory. Until you click write-settings, absolutely nothing should happen.

For performance reasons I don't update the system every time a change is made, but I'll admit that enable TV-out looks like it does. Perhaps I should change that.

Maybe just make that one checkbox fire off the write-settings...

Maybe just make that one checkbox fire off the write-settings...
Yes, that's a possibility. I could also display a message in the status bar, move some elements around.

I'll need to think about it some more first. Damn, user interface design is hard :)

But, it's 5 AM here, I'll look at it tomorrow later today.

Back