Release Nub configuration alternative

I don't think I'll be doing any more logo updates for the time being.

Replacing them manually is easy enough and the current one looks fine for me. If any features need to be added or bugs need to be addressed, then I'll incorporate whatever are the nicest icons and/or logos available at that time.

I don't think I'll be doing any more logo updates for the time being.

Replacing them manually is easy enough and the current one looks fine for me. If any features need to be added or bugs need to be addressed, then I'll incorporate whatever are the nicest icons and/or logos available at that time.

Of course! They're there for when and if you need them. :)

... and anyone who loves to customize.

I'm heading down to Cape Town today to attend my Grandfather's funeral... So I'll be gone for about a week.

I'll still be visiting the forums when I can, but I won't have my Cintiq with me so I'm not going to be doing any custom icons until I get back. Current one is of course perfectly fine - though might be nice if it distinguished itself slightly if both nub configuration options will be available in Hotfix 6.

You don't mind if other Devs use these icons if they need them? Helping you out has inspired me to start producing Pandora related graphics that anyone can use. :)

I'm heading down to Cape Town today to attend my Grandfather's funeral... So I'll be gone for about a week.
I'm very sorry to hear that. My condolences and all the best to you and your family in dealing with this loss.

You don't mind if other Devs use these icons if they need them? Helping you out has inspired me to start producing Pandora related graphics that anyone can use. :)
The nub configurator is GPL, people can use both the code and the icons as far as I'm concerned. I'm not exactly sure how the GPL applies to icons and such, but since you are the creator of the artwork, their license is your decision (I'm just hoping the source image was free to use :unsure: )

I'm sure many devs will appreciate the assistance you can offer in the artistic department.

By the way, if you want to test an alternative logo or icon for this application, then create the files pics/logo.png and/or pics/icon.png in the application data. That should override the default ones.

Alright, so I arrived home from my trip to Cape Town last night and got straight to work on some new icons for the nubs.

However, when renaming one of them 'icon.png' in the pics folder - the icon doesn't get updated in the XFCE menu??? Could someone please test this... also, I haven't tested if the new icons show up in mini menu yet.

These are the two I would recommend:

icon.png

icon-Fae13.png (this is a slightly larger size icon - please test)

Variations of the original nub icon:

icon-Fae1.pngicon-Fae2.pngicon-Fae3.pngicon-Fae5.pngicon-Fae6.pngicon-Fae7.png

A new perspective: (the icon size is slightly larger, so am unsure if these will work - please test)

icon-Fae8.pngicon-Fae9.pngicon-Fae10.pngicon-Fae011.pngicon-Fae012.png

thats because the icon needs appending to the end of the PND file, it doesnt read the icon.png inside the PND.

also it may need a reboot as the icon is cached.

Alright, so I arrived home from my trip to Cape Town last night and got straight to work on some new icons for the nubs.

However, when renaming one of them 'icon.png' in the pics folder - the icon doesn't get updated in the XFCE menu??? Could someone please test this... also, I haven't tested if the new icons show up in mini menu yet.
Those are some pretty icons you have made. I'll update the PND with the latest logo and icon when I have some time.

The XFCE menu has icons? Never seen any in mine. But yes, it is as milkshake mentioned. Whenever a PND file is detected, a .desktop file is created in /usr/share/applications and the icon file attached at the end of the PND is then cached to /tmp/iconcache (you can check the .desktop file to find which icon an application is using).

New cosmetic update is up (release 2, build 5).

I'd rather not do any more cosmetic updates, unless either bugs are fixed or new functionality is added as well.

Talking about new functionality, in a thread in general discussion, Cosurgi mentioned a quick and hackish fix for games reading joystick input solely from /dev/input/js0.

If this is a common problem, and an acceptable solution is presented both for redirecting input from js1 and js2 to js0 as well as restoring the original state of js0 (if required, what is bound to this by default???), then I can incorporate this fix into the nub configurator as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a great feature if you can get it working. :)

Would that feature have any success switching nubs in Quake III? When asking Pickle about the possibility of doing so I got this response:

Pickle said:
nubs are hardcoded left for direction and right for look.

As you probably know - my right nub isn't up to the task of functioning as look in Quake III. :(

P.s. Another newbish question: I never use Mini Menu because it confuses me - but I wanted to see what your latest update looked like... I couldn't find it! Shows up perfectly in XFCE, but under 'settings' in MM there is only the old nub scripts... ?

That would be a great feature if you can get it working. :)

Would that feature have any success switching nubs in Quake III? When asking Pickle about the possibility of doing so I got this response:

Pickle said:
nubs are hardcoded left for direction and right for look.
I have no idea. It depends on how he hardcoded it. I don't have a Quake III install on my Pandora, so it's a bit tricky to test right now.

P.s. Another newbish question: I never use Mini Menu because it confuses me - but I wanted to see what your latest update looked like... I couldn't find it! Shows up perfectly in XFCE, but under 'settings' in MM there is only the old nub scripts... ?
I don't like Mini Menu either (no offense to Skeezix, I just prefer the desktop environment). But, the configurator shows up for me in both settings and settings/hardwaresettings.

However, both in minimenu and the XFCE menu (or rather an application menu of the OVR editor I'm developing) the icon looks identical to that of the original nub configurator, it has changed on the taskbar though. Makes me wonder if I appended the wrong icon file to the PND. I will check once I have the new functionality added.

New version is released. Please test for bugs, especially the new default joystick settings.

Changelog:

• Joystick modes now have a default checkbox next to them.
  • Setting a joystick to be the default will override /dev/input/js0, which is useful for games which assume this to be the main joystick (e.g. word war vi, freedroid, eduke32 and perhaps some others). I'm currently using a dirty hack to detect the mapping between nubs and joystick character devices which is slow and error prone. Sometimes, setting a joystick as default fails (hit read nub settings after writing to verify if it was set correctly).
    To manually verify the character device assigned to the default joystick use stat -c %T /dev/input/js0.
  • Clearing both checkboxes and then writing the configuration will reset /dev/input/js0 to its original state.
  • A new command line option has been added (-j / --joystick_zero, values: left, right, default) to change the default joystick device from scripts. Beware, this needs to be followed by the -a option to activate it and only works if the mode of the corresponding nub is actually set to joystick.
  • Some small corrections to the PXML file.

Wish I could help test this more, but I'm running out time to get ready for the National Arts Festival...

Still can't find it in MM, but I'm sure that's user error - my shoulder buttons don't work for changing categories either - I'll have to read up on MM when I have the time and figure out what's going on there.

The only app I tested with the default joystick settings was of course Quake III... and it seems Pickle is quite correct. The nub settings are hard coded in... no change no matter what I tried.

I'll try out the other apps when I have some time.

can I download it from PNDstore? I was searching, but didn't find it.

What would you think about adding L/R buttons mapping configuration. It is so difficult right now to configure them to mouse buttons or whatever else. If you think it's a good idea, I will dig up from forums the scripts that will do this, and automate this with sed. Then you could integrate them into your tool.

can I download it from PNDstore? I was searching, but didn't find it.

What would you think about adding L/R buttons mapping configuration. It is so difficult right now to configure them to mouse buttons or whatever else. If you think it's a good idea, I will dig up from forums the scripts that will do this, and automate this with sed. Then you could integrate them into your tool.
I did not bother to upload this to the repo yet as this tool will be integrated into the firmware in the upcoming hotfix.

Please do post your scripts. If I recall correctly, then L/R mapping is handled through xmodmap. This tool is aimed at configuring the nubs, not configuring the mouse. However, I do plan to create a full keyboard editor, i.e. a user friendly interface around xmodmap, which seems to be a better place to add such functionality. I first need to find some spare time to work on it though.

Eventually both these tools can be merged into a single input editor, but for now I prefer to work on them in isolation.

ok... to enable LR as mouse buttons I did following:

in Menu->Settings->Session and Startup

add "Application Autostart" new script with following contents:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

xkbset m

xkbset exp =m

a binary file, not included in OS is necessary: http://geo.hmg.inpg.fr/~janek/xkbset

Code:
66d56f486ef15b1a3eea94622d4487ef  xkbset

Finally a modification in .pndXmodmap is necessary, changing keycodes of 62 and 105:

Code:
keycode  62 = Pointer_Button1 NoSymbol Pointer_Button1

keycode 105 = Pointer_Button3 NoSymbol Pointer_Button3

I hope that this is really everything necessary.

Now, about how to implement this in your tool:

- modification of autostart scripts - I think this can be deferred to ~/.xinitrc instead of messing with xfce autostart

- you will need to add a binary of xkbset in your tool

- modification of .pndXmodmap would be a call to 'patch ~/.pndXmodmap < enableLR.diff', but I'm unable to produce such patch file, because I don't have original .pndXmodmap

I hope that it will work for you when you start testing this.

corsugi forgot to menton accessibility setting>mouse acceleration

also no need to use session and startup

just need to add

Code:
xkbset m

xkbset exp m

to .xinitrc

note the missing equals sign

Please do post your scripts. If I recall correctly, then L/R mapping is handled through xmodmap. This tool is aimed at configuring the nubs, not configuring the mouse. However, I do plan to create a full keyboard editor, i.e. a user friendly interface around xmodmap, which seems to be a better place to add such functionality. I first need to find some spare time to work on it though.

Eventually both these tools can be merged into a single input editor, but for now I prefer to work on them in isolation.

and... Caine, is that doable? (apart from your apparent lack of time currently ;) )

it would be mainly messing with .xinitrc and .pndXmodmap. Both doable by calling

Code:
patch < diff
or just by replacing them with "factory default" only modified a little. Just giving a warning to people that their individual changes will be overwritten.

and... Caine, is that doable? (apart from your apparent lack of time currently ;) )

it would be mainly messing with .xinitrc and .pndXmodmap. Both doable by calling

Code:
patch < diff
or just by replacing them with "factory default" only modified a little. Just giving a warning to people that their individual changes will be overwritten.
Yes, it does look quite feasible indeed. You can directly modify key mappings using xmodmap expressions from the shell as well, so I can probably get away with not modifying the default .pndXmodmap file at all (I prefer non-destructive operations).

[edit]Just to check if I'm right.

lrmouse.sh:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" = "on" ]; then

# configure L and R as mouse buttons

./xkbset m

./xkbset exp m

xmodmap -e "keycode 62 = Pointer_Button1 NoSymbol Pointer_Button1"

xmodmap -e "keycode 105 = Pointer_Button3 NoSymbol Pointer_Button3"

elif [ "$1" = "off" ]; then

# revert to default configuration 

# (disables L and R as mouse buttons if .pndXmodmap is unmodified)

./xkbset -m

./xkbset exp -m

xmodmap ~/.pndXmodmap

else

# Have we set L and R as mouse buttons?

echo L/R mouse buttons: $(cat ~/.xinitrc | grep -c "^~/lrmouse.sh on")

fi

Finally, you want to add an option to toggle running of lrmouse.sh on in .xinitrc.

# suppose we add this line to .xinitrc

Code:
~/lrmouse.sh off

# then we can disable LR mouse buttons

Code:
sed -e 's:^~/lrmouse.sh on:~/lrmouse.sh off:' -i ~/.xinitrc

# and enable LR mouse buttons

Code:
sed -e 's:^~/lrmouse.sh off:~/lrmouse.sh on:' -i ~/.xinitrc

Am I missing anything?

[/edit]

yes. I think it looks good. I don't have original .pndXmodmap, but I hope that someone else can post here default values.

Back