Transfer Drm Music From My Old Ipod?

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Just upgraded my 60GB ipod to a new Classic 160 GB.

I used yamipod on my desktop when managing my old ipod. However, I used to use itunes, and bought around 40 albums via itunes.

I have my new ipod hooked up to my laptop using itunes 8 with my librabry on an external HD. I can't remember my old itune store details (login or password!) as it was so long since I used it.

I am looking for some software that will allow me to copy the albums I bought with itunes from my old ipod so they are DRM free files I can copy to my new ipod.

Google gives too many confusing results, and if anyone has used any software advice would be appreciated. Freeware if possible, but I don't mind paying a bit to do this (I just bought iart which has worked really well getting album art onto the new ipod!)

Thanks.

EDIT I just saw I have all my purchased itunes albums in an MyMusic/Itunes folder on my desktop. Therefore, I just need a way to convert these to DRM MP3's so I can put them on my new ipod. Cheers.

I am not sure if we are allowed to give out ways to do something illegal on this forum. I am going to play it safe and say no. You could use the retrieve account info feature. Your user name should be your e-mail. Just use iTunes to manage your ipod. It will make life way easier.

zxxgp said:
I am not sure if we are allowed to give out ways to do something illegal on this forum. I am going to play it safe and say no. You could use the retrieve account info feature. Your user name should be your e-mail. Just use iTunes to manage your ipod. It will make life way easier.
em, thanks but don't think this is illegal! I just want to transfer tunes i bought previously onto my new ipod.

My old desktop is not even connected to the internet anymore (Vista 'upgrade', now just using the 1TB drive as backup for my stuff). My USB wifi stick never worked under Vista which is why I have never connected to my old itunes account. I have tried several variations of my email addresses and passwords on my laptop but to no avail. I have around 15,000 songs on my new ipod (all from my own CD's) but I would really like to get the 40 or so albums I bought via itunes onto my new ipod!

As above, they are in My Music folder on my desktop (i.e. I can copy the files to my laptop) but they will not play in any media player (accept itunes 8) and I cannot copy them to my new ipod. Any help appreciated - and nothing illegal going on here!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only ways I know need you to remember your login details, since they have to be validated to play then the raw AAC is separated on playback (since it's decrypted.)

So I think you're best bet is encode from a lossless source and get rid of the DRM files... your situation is exactly the problem with DRM, it hurts the person that buys the product and not the pirate.

I use Protected Music Converter. This will convert all the iTunes music that you have bought, and you must be logged into iTunes to confirm that you do have rights to use the music files. It will not allow you to convert iTunes music that you didn't pay for.

sataniC Virus said:
zxxgp said:
em, thanks but don't think this is illegal! I just want to transfer tunes i bought previously onto my new ipod.

Where he's from, it's illegal. The DMCA prohibits the circumvention of copyright protection mechanisms.

I don't have any advice for you, though. Like PokeParadox, the only thing I can think of requires you to be able to play the file first, and I don't even remember the name of it. Maybe try calling Apple support to get them to give you your account details? That's the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for replies. Yeah, think I'll ring Apple Support first for my account details (I can't remember but I'm sure I would have had to fill in personal details such address, dob, security question etc which will hopefully allow them to give out my info.

If that works, I'll try WarmFluffy's suggestion with Protected Music Convertor. All the ones I want to convert I purchased via itunes.

Funny I was worried about ringing Apple before : 'dont know my user name, dont know my password ... can you help me?!' :p

I must mention, be careful with some of the DRM strippers... most don't do it losslessly. A program I used that worked was either called QuicktimeFairUse or AppleFairUse or something like that. You will need an earlier build of iTunes installed though. And it does just removed the DRM without transcoding.

PokeParadox said:
I must mention, be careful with some of the DRM strippers... most don't do it losslessly. A program I used that worked was either called QuicktimeFairUse or AppleFairUse or something like that. You will need an earlier build of iTunes installed though. And it does just removed the DRM without transcoding.
Apples M4P format is already compressed so that isn't lossless to begin with. Protected Music converter does a very good job and neither my boyfriend or myself have noticed much difference between the original M4Ps or the resulting MP3s. You can even get PMC to convert to WAVs. One thing to consider, if you're converting to MP3s, don't forget to set the profile to something like 192kbps or higher.

Yes, I know AAC/MP4 is not lossless, I meant the DRM removal would not be lossless with most programs. The one I mentioned (from memory, admittedly) does not degrade the quality further, you get a 1:1 copy of the raw AAC stream just sans DRM.

PokeParadox said:
Yes, I know AAC/MP4 is not lossless, I meant the DRM removal would not be lossless with most programs. The one I mentioned (from memory, admittedly) does not degrade the quality further, you get a 1:1 copy of the raw AAC stream just sans DRM.
Sorry I wasn't disagreeing, just saying that PMC seems to do a very good job :).

sataniC Virus said:
zxxgp said:

My old desktop is not even connected to the internet anymore (Vista 'upgrade', now just using the 1TB drive as backup for my stuff). My USB wifi stick never worked under Vista which is why I have never connected to my old itunes account. I have tried several variations of my email addresses and passwords on my laptop but to no avail. I have around 15,000 songs on my new ipod (all from my own CD's) but I would really like to get the 40 or so albums I bought via itunes onto my new ipod!

As above, they are in My Music folder on my desktop (i.e. I can copy the files to my laptop) but they will not play in any media player (accept itunes 8) and I cannot copy them to my new ipod. Any help appreciated - and nothing illegal going on here!!

What I meant by illegal is telling you how to get past the DRM. Even if you own the songs it is illegal to circumvent the DRM. So just by taking the DRM off your own songs you are doing something illegal.

zxxgp said:
sataniC Virus said:
zxxgp said:

What I meant by illegal is telling you how to get past the DRM. Even if you own the songs it is illegal to circumvent the DRM. So just by taking the DRM off your own songs you are doing something illegal.

Not every country has crippled fair use as thoroughly as the U.S. In most countries it's still legal provided you own the material in question.

@ WarmFluffyUK - thanks so much. I downloaded a trial version of PMC (which converts the first 3 minutes of a song for a limited time) and then bought the full product as it works great! I did not need to contact Apple for my account details so I am guessing that it knew I had already purchased the songs (my email address or something built into the DRM?) Anyway, it worked great and I now have all my purchased itunes songs on my new ipod :) Thanks for your great suggestion!

Thanks for your help too Ravnos, zxxgp & PokeParadox - I understand now the differences between 'by-passing' drm and simply copying music you own. It makes sense and as PokeParadox was saying it is annoying when it gets in the way of the legitimate user. However laws are laws! I live in Ireland and am not sure tbh what is legal here regarding removing drm. I imagine it is probably similar to what you guys have.

Off to listen to my ipod now B) Thanks again all for the help - much appreciated.

Ravnos said:
Not every country has crippled fair use as thoroughly as the U.S. In most countries it's still legal provided you own the material in question.
Yes i know, but i live in the US so i am kind of used to thinking in those terms. I always forget i am a member of a community that has people from all over the world. The last thing i want is somebody getting docked because i told them how to do something illegal.

Glad to hear you got it working.

Obviously you can do things such as recapture the stream or even burn the songs to a CD. The better option is to find a way to strip the DRM and leave the files intact.

I hesitate to say specifically what software will do it since Apple is more than happy to send C&Ds to the owners of forums where people mention it. However, if you read the Wikipedia article on FairPlay, which is the DRM scheme that iTunes uses, you'll have your answer. It's towards the end of the fourth section.

Back