Should I Get A New 3g Iphone...

Sigh...

Why do so many people who don't have a product, and have no usage knowledge want to talk so negatively about it? Really, this is a question that vexes me. So many people take the time to come to a forum and slag it off without actually having had it in their hands for a proper period of time to make a valued judgement!!!! And then just try to justify their pathetic rantings by yelling fanboi???!

Stealth Bagel, luckily I haven't had adequate usage of you in my hands, so I can't make a judgement on you. Shame, as you seem like an arrogant twat to me. But what do I know? I am just a fanboi kid.

Nickspoon. I have a n95. I like it, but on the whole it just isn't as good as the sum of it's parts. It can do so much, but even with the newer firmwares, I have the feeling I am always fighting it. Mainly the lack of ram and the general sluggishness of it. Even the 5 megpixel camera is SO slow to process that I just never use it. The video function is great, of course. The GPS is not good.

I have now an Iphone. I can honestly say that nothing has ever felt so sweet in my hands. Of course it ain't perfect, but the things that are missing are so outweighed by the things that are there. Safari is the best mobile browser I have ever used. As an internet tablet it blows the n800 out of the water (I know, I have one). The app store is the best thing, so much free or cheap software that is just so easy to use and install. The camera is actually excellent-no shutter lag and in decent light very good pictures (for a phone) The email client is straightforward but works better than any phone other than a blackberry. The business side of the phone isn't great, difficult to edit docs etc.

I haven't missed copy and paste at all. I haven't missed flash on the browser. I miss not being able to stream the bbc radio stations, but Iplayer works great.

But the overall is so much pleasure to use because of the UI. Noting else compares. For some, they will want to hack and tinker. Not me. I just want to use it. I never fight the things, I just use it, and play with it. (The games are brilliant-super monkey ball is brilliant!). Having an unlimited 3g internet connection-wow! It's not expensive-45 quid for 1200 minutes and 500 texts is okay to have such a great product. I have two contracts so I can upgrade in a few months.

Overall, I have never had a gadget that inspires more WOW. Not perfect, and I could write a lot about what I miss. But overall the negatives are blown out of the water by the positives. If you want to tell me I am wrong (chadybaby!) then go out and get one first. Not just spout crap about being a fanboi or saying that because it can't cut and paste the whole thing is rubbish! And just because one phone is great (the n95) every thing else has to be crap.

The iPhone UI is astounding, I agree. It's intuitive, looks great and that multitouch thing is so much fun. Safari is a very nice mobile browser (much snappier than what Nokia throw out) and actually makes web browsing on a phone bearable. So yes, the iPhone is nice to use. That doesn't stop it being too expensive for what it is and lacking some important and useful features which so many phones have (even my old Motorola could record video). As you say, your choice didn't depend at all on these features and so you bought a phone that plays to your needs excellently. Good for you.

I have a Nokia E65. It's small, powerful and relatively cheap. I love it despite its little problems (sometimes it reboots for no reason, but only when it's idle) and Symbian is a very nice OS. It's a very functional device, and the plethora of apps available make it even more so (SSH, ooh baby). And, unlike the iPhone, it has an actual keypad, which I much prefer to the touchscreen one. I'd never even consider buying an iPhone, with its Apple-approved-only AppStore, substantial size, expensive contract and lack of storage capability (miniSDHC, anyone?).

Different strokes for different folks, I believe is the phrase.

nickspoon said:
The iPhone UI is astounding, I agree. It's intuitive, looks great and that multitouch thing is so much fun. Safari is a very nice mobile browser (much snappier than what Nokia throw out) and actually makes web browsing on a phone bearable. So yes, the iPhone is nice to use. That doesn't stop it being too expensive for what it is and lacking some important and useful features which so many phones have (even my old Motorola could record video). As you say, your choice didn't depend at all on these features and so you bought a phone that plays to your needs excellently. Good for you.

I have a Nokia E65. It's small, powerful and relatively cheap. I love it despite its little problems (sometimes it reboots for no reason, but only when it's idle) and Symbian is a very nice OS. It's a very functional device, and the plethora of apps available make it even more so (SSH, ooh baby). And, unlike the iPhone, it has an actual keypad, which I much prefer to the touchscreen one. I'd never even consider buying an iPhone, with its Apple-approved-only AppStore, substantial size, expensive contract and lack of storage capability (miniSDHC, anyone?).

Different strokes for different folks, I believe is the phrase.

Exactly! I love symbian phones too! I just love phones, so wanted to try the iphone. And I love it, genuinely.

Top post, sez it all really!

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangely, you don't seem to see audio quality advertised with mobile phones. Surely being able to hear and to make yourself heard to the person on the other end is the most important part of it?

Orkie said:
Strangely, you don't seem to see audio quality advertised with mobile phones. Surely being able to hear and to make yourself heard to the person on the other end is the most important part of it?

But is that not something to do with the network as well...?

I have an N95, but I must admit, if I was offered an Iphone for the right price, I'd jump at it. The only downside is the camera and no video recording, which is a real shame for such a feature rich phone. One wonders why Apple chose not to include a better camera. But yeah, shiny gadget syndrome. I really want.

EDIT: I can't spell

lubidog said:
Orkie said:

But is that not something to do with the network as well...?

only if all phones on that network of the same class have terrible call quality, i would think.

Nova said:
I have an N95, but I must admit, if I was offered an Iphone for the right price, I'd jump at it. The only downside is the camera and no video recording, which is a real shame for such a feature rich phone. One wonders why Apple chose not to include a better camera. But yeah, shiny gadget syndrome. I really want.

EDIT: I can't spell
If you do come across one, I'll buy your n95 at a crazily discounted price. :)

Nova said:
I have an N95, but I must admit, if I was offered an Iphone for the right price, I'd jump at it. The only downside is the camera and no video recording, which is a real shame for such a feature rich phone. One wonders why Apple chose not to include a better camera.
It's so that they can release one with those features next year and all the Apple faithful will claim Steve Jobs invented decent camera-phones. Of course, by then, every other phone will come with other things that Apple left out of the iPhone, and the Apple cult will claim that it's all just fluff they don't need until the next iPhone comes out with those features. And the cycle repeats.

Ravnos said:
Nova said:
I have an N95, but I must admit, if I was offered an Iphone for the right price, I'd jump at it. The only downside is the camera and no video recording, which is a real shame for such a feature rich phone. One wonders why Apple chose not to include a better camera.
It's so that they can release one with those features next year and all the Apple faithful will claim Steve Jobs invented decent camera-phones. Of course, by then, every other phone will come with other things that Apple left out of the iPhone, and the Apple cult will claim that it's all just fluff they don't need until the next iPhone comes out with those features. And the cycle repeats.

You know, I bet you don't have an Iphone... But again I ask-why the anger???

I have used the thing now for a few months, and can honestly say I have never enjoyed a gadget in my life as I do this baby. Yes, it has crashed and caused me grief. It even stopped working at one point. But overall it is an absolute joy!

Boring disclaimer, I am no fanboi!

Even the camera is imo better than almost any camphone I have used before. It lacks features, but in good light it is perfect for a mobile phone, looks great on the iphone screen and does what it should do. The camera on, say the n95 is almost impossible to use. It takes ages to open and the pictures aren't that great!

So, I love it! You can close this thread now. The deed has been done. I am living the dream.

Having an iPhone makes me sad. Because now I know there was a part of my life when I didn't have one. The sadness.

with seamless vpn and wifi networks integrated... it's just a pleasure to use.

Back