Mp3 Player For My Car?

gary.mckeown

Website
Visit site
I've just bought a 1998 Golf 1.6SE and its only got a radio in it, i was going to get a cd player for it but it HAS to be a volkswagen one and they look crap & will be expensive, so i've decided that i'm gonna get a mp3 player instead (like an ipod) that will connect up to the radio. the problem is that i want one that will be able to play songs that i've converted myself from my own cd collection because i aint paying for the albums again from itunes or anything like that. i've been looking at the new ipod Neno and was wondering if this would work for what i want it to do or if it wont let me use my own cd's mp3s.

what do you recommend i get?

cheers

gaz.

ohhh this looks the dogs. i think i'll have a look into this.

so i just connect that tunecast to the headphone jack in my car and then plug the H10 into the tunecast and i'm done? (sorry for the noobie Q's, i'm crap at audio related stuff lol).

Gaz.

Are you sure you can only use VW ones? My fwend has a VW golf 1.9 gti about 7-9 years old and hes got a pioneer fancy thing in it. Id double check with somewhere shit like halfords or something first.

yeah i'm pretty sure its only VW cuz its actually moulded into the curved dashboard, there's probably a chance i could put a non-VW cd player in but i dont want it sticking out cuz that would just look cak.

Yeah but all car standard CD players are moulded, but when you buy a new one they come with universal mounting trays. It doesnt look like its possible but it is, its the same for all cars. My other friend just replaced the factory stock tape/radio in his clio which was also moulded into the front pannel like that, and it doesnt stick out at all, looks lovely. Im 98% sure you could change the cd player without any hacking of teh front panel, as I said just go to halfords and ask, theres no obligation to buy from them afterall.

yeah i'll go in and have a word with em, might end up being cheaper just gettin an mp3 player and connectin it upto my radio if there's no decent cdplayers there + would save space on cd's lying around all over my car lol.

You can pick up a decentish car cd player which will also play MP3s for around 80 quid now. A cd full of mp3s usually holds around 100-200, and the sound quality is much better compared to a radio broadcast system like an fm signal sender.

yeah ive seen those before and they dont sound too bad. toruble is you have to remember to keep the mp3 player charged and stuff, and the Head units with headphone jack inputs are usually rubbish quality units anway. I seriously think the best option is a mp3/cd player head unit, check out beay or something and maybe just pay a garge or halfords to fit? itll probably only cost aobut 10-20 quid.

EDIT: I.e something like This

dont know if this is a stupid question or not but the mp3/cd player, how do i get the songs onto it?

:) i was just lookin at that one on halfords site, £120 free instore fitting.

just burn them to a cd. I.e. create a data cd using nero or something. Most of them read cdrws too, so if you buy a pack of 5 or something you can jsut keep reburning.

ohhh i've got a cd player that reads mp3's in my clio, i wanna try and keep my golf a clear of cd's as poss, i've got about 150 albums in my clio and i'm too lazy to clean it and i know i'll end up doing the same with the golf, what if i put the cd player from my clio to my golf then connected a mp3 player to it so i'd be able to save on clutter in my car then?

Does your car have a tape player? If so, save yourself a lot of money, and just get a tape with a wire to plug into ANY mp3 player. About £10 for the best one, and they sound superb!!!!

Now, you asked about getting songs onto the MP3 player? You mean your own cds? It's very simple, you just put your cd into the drive, convert your songs into mp3 (the internet names and tracks them), then bung them onto the player. Most players are just like an external hard disc. SO you can order them as you wish.

Sorry if this is already understood. The best software to use for converting MP3s, naming them etc. is (in my view, and I think I've tried them all) i-tunes. There are others that DO more, but i-tunes is just so easy to use.

I love MP3 players. Any help I can give, just ask etc.

The new Apple Nano does indeed look superb. It's a solid state so you'll only get 4gigs. Ipods are superb, but they can be a little pricey. I've never been a fan of Thomsens. Archos are great, but tend to be a bit fiddly to use. Creatives are very good, imo. I-river-never had one, but people like them.

But a 20, 40 or 60gig ipod, with a tape adapter and an in car charger will do you a wonderful job, and very easy to use (the best to use, in every way-that jog wheel was made for driving!!!!). And you just don't have to use tunes bought from i-tunes!

Cheers

you can get cd players now that have built in ipod connectivity, i know alpine make one but im not sure about others. You can also get harddrive based head units. I.e instead of a cd player its got a HDD and interface. Dunno how popuylar those are anymore, but you might be able to pick one up on ebay. Otherwise im afraid i dont really know.

I might just risk the thomson one (if i kind find it anywhere in stock) and use that tape converter thingy and see how that works because the 20gb hdd and the possibility to put music on there thats been d/l.

does the ipod nano not stop u putting music onto it thats not got a copy protection on it?

thats the kind of thing i want something that i can just store the music on in a playlist or something but i'm guessing the hdd head units arent cheap.

Back